Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • SDG Bel Air creak driving me bonkers. Can it be fixed?
  • Rockplough
    Free Member

As subject. I’ve been skooshing some GT85 into the rail/saddle interface at the back which has always silenced it for a while, but this time it won’t give in. It sounds like a bloody tree coming down. This gets amplified through the frame and is making my bike unrideable due to the embarrassment.

Has anyone got any tips? Can the saddle be disembowelled somehow? If not it’s a charge spoon I think, which would be a shame coz the SDG is a great saddle otherwise.

Stoner
    Free Member

can you squirt some grease in there using a gun?

If you managed to get the rails out I dont hink you;ll be able to get them back in.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Have you greased the bolts that hold the saddle onto the post?

scuttler

Currently chasing a creak on my bike and was convinced it was the saddle. It sounds like you’re dead certain it’s the saddle but it was only yesterday I got out of the saddle to chase some boy up a hill when I realised it’s coming from elsewhere. Now suspecting the Hope QR skewer as per numerous other posts.

So regards the saddle, are you absolutely sure?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I squirted a bit of oil into the rail/saddle interface and it cured it. Make sure you do it at the back and the front.

Rockplough
    Free Member

It’s deffo the saddle. It stops when I don’t pedal, or when I get out of the saddle. If I take the saddle and post out and press the saddle on the floor it creaks. Also it only creaks on one side of the saddle so I don’t think the seatpost bolts are to blame. Post is a Thomson so the bolts are fore/aft.

As well as the GT85 I dripped some chain lube in between the rail and it’s housing. The lube disappeared into the gap.

Doin my head in.

Keva
    Free Member

take the saddle off, grease the seatpost clamp, bolts and saddle rails. Mine’s been silent ever since.

Kev

Keva
    Free Member

take the saddle off, grease the seatpost clamp, bolts and saddle rails. Mine’s been silent ever since.

Kev

iainc

I have that saddle on all 3 bikes – for me I use finish line green where the rails go into the plastic and leave saddle upside down for a few hrs – does the trick – repeat 3 or 4 times a year and don’t jetwash -)

GT85 probably too thin to stay in there…..

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Been round this myself with a couple of these saddles, drove me mad. Use to go “big” with the GT85 before a rid, but more often than not it would be creaking at the end. Have given up on them (which is a shame cos they are very comfortable) went for a Gobi, not as nice to sit on but no creaks. 😉

thefallguy
    Free Member

If its not the rails into the saddle making the noise then try putting a strip of electrical tape along each rail (don’t overlap it though), that worked for me after much messing about with new bolts, grease etc.

nickc

If it’s a Thomson post and an SDG saddle, then it’s a common problem. I’ve always found that copper grease does the trick. (yes I’m aware that’s not what copper grease is for, still works though 🙂 )

Rockplough
    Free Member

copper grease does the trick.

Where? Are you saying it could be the rail/clamp making the noise?

nickc

smear it liberally along the rails of the saddle, and on the bolts of the clamp.

oldfart

I’ve got the same seat / post combo .Spent an hour in the garden Saturday taking everything apart .Cleaned it all up copper grease on the rails (which usually works ) .Got on and rode and it was still doing it !!!!! Might try the finish line and leave upside down trick next .

jeb

Yep, copper grease, is magic, give your bike a good intime rub in !
    I found greasing the seatclamp, and especially taking the rear frame hanger off, and greasing there could be the answer

Rockplough
    Free Member

Thanks Keva. It was the clamp after all. 😳

Took it all apart, cleaned and greased, and it’s fine now. I was totally convinced it was the saddle. What is it with bikes and noises? It reminds me of the time when I dismantled pretty much my whole drive train, chainrings off and everything, to find a creak which turned out to be the rear qr.

Bikes. Bwoody hell.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘SDG Bel Air creak driving me bonkers. Can it be fixed?’ is closed to new replies.