Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Scunnered
  • scotroutes

Ever get to the point where going for a ride feels more like a chore than a pleasure? It seems I’m hitting that about now. With the Highland Trail Race just some ten weeks away I’ve been trying to get out as much as possible, riding further and harder. Thing is, I seem to be losing my motivation. Despite any previously made plans, I’ll just sit out about prevaricating instead of getting on my bike. The slightest whiff of bad weather and I’m all for cancelling it altogether. Is it possible I’m missing the “competitive” gene? On the way back from Laggan earlier this evening I passed a camper at the side of the road with a lovely view and a brew on, I couldn’t help but think “that looks like a better way of enjoying the countryside“.

matt_outandabout

gordimhor

Yep been there, it always comes back though. I went round a road loop in the car today which looks a fantastic ride (Corran-Kingairloch-Strontian-Corran) going to do that in the next couple of weeks though it will just about kill me. 🙂 The Highland Trail will be fantastic, just keep going

theotherjonv

Don’t go out then.

If you’ve fallen out of love with MTB’ing, then you won’t miss it, will realise it, and will find something else you like doing more.

If in a couple of weeks you find yourself itching to get out for a ride, then go out.

I’m assuming you aren’t a pro, and this isn’t how you make a living*. It’s supposed to be fun; we have limited time for leisure as it is to have to spend it doing stuff you don’t want to.

[* I’d love a job in the bike trade but this is what puts me off. When you HAVE to go riding / fiddle with bikes / write about bikes…. all day every day, would it then become a chore, and then you lose twice- you have a job you don’t really like and you’ve lost your favourite pastime]

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m there now. Crap shifts at work (thanks Chris Grayling you complete tosspot) which mean usually not getting home till 18.30 or later, combined with earlier starts + more stuff to do on rest days = NoMojo.

vorlich
    Free Member

Missing the Pentlands? It’s all the crap riding you have on your doorstep now… 😉

tomaso
    Free Member

You need some p!ss taking mates to Chivy you along and stop you getting out of going out!

somafunk

If i want to ride then i ride, if not i bugger about with my music production software, or i rebuild another small bit of my Golf, or i just stare out the window and daydream or i sit and drink whisky and listen to music – riding a bike is not the be all and end all of what defines me and in the last few years i’ve realised that it’s up to me what i choose to do, and whatever i choose to do should give me enjoyment and if a bike ride seems like a chore then it inevitably is at that moment in time.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s not that you’ve fallen out of love with MTBing, as suggested above, you’re right, it’s the competitive thing. I had similar feelings just before the puffer, I had it in my mind that I was just for riding with my mates after that.

I’m choking to ride next years puffer now!.

cynic-al
    Free Member

This is the difference between prep for road races and sportives 😛

Take a few days off, just ride for the sake of it (or not at all) for a bit, if you want to do the event then it will come back.

That’s what I’m telling myself just now!

AlasdairMc

Colin – there’s a few of us intending to start the HTR and tour it to the finish sticking to the 8 day max. Not going to race it unless things are going well, so you’re more than welcome to join our fellowship at the back of the pack.

scotroutes

Al – I saw your running thread and thought “that’s where I am at the moment”.

As has been said above, it’s not riding that’s doing my nut in so much as “having” to ride. I’m currently thinking of sacking the whole thing off and just planning a wee tour of some islands – possible with fatbike and raft.

Alasdair – HTR at touring pace was always my plan, but 8 days is still 70 miles per day – and I know some of them will be at walking pace 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think you are psyching yourself out.

You could do that event tomorrow ok. Is it the event or training you’re not likinbg?

scotroutes

I don’t believe I’m anywhere near the fitness/stamina level required.
    That means I have to ride more.
    I think it’s the compulsion bit that’s bothering me. 😛

LsD
    Free Member

Just stop being a muckle jessie and MTFU. EYE OF THE TIGER!!!!

JoeG
    Free Member

You’re not riding; you’re training! ❗

Riding is fun. 😀 Training is work. 😐

the-muffin-man

If you’ve fallen out of love with MTB’ing, then you won’t miss it, will realise it, and will find something else you like doing more.

This – i’ve not done a mountain bike ride in over 18 months. I run and swim now, with the odd family towpath ride now and then.

After 15 years of cycling being everything, its now something I do when I feel like it.

large418
    Free Member

Try varying the riding or going out with friends, sometimes it needs this to put the fun back in. Go and do a trail centre and stop when you feel like it. One or two weeks out will not affect your fitness overall, in fact it may give your mind and body the rest it needs.
    Steve – fellow htr rider, currently training and out for a road sportive today to vary things a bit.

kcal

anticipation, and not in a good way I get. Nervous begets more nerves, added pressure. Suspect you’ve been riding solo which is fine up to a point – and the HT will be solo. But its about biking with mates as well, non?

by the way – completely sympathise, lucky to have time to spare to bike – and yet rarely do so. Answers a-plenty, many of them rubbish. ..

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I don’t believe I’m anywhere near the fitness/stamina level required.

Having been fighting back tears on the phone to my coach last night about my injury/lack of race legs after i’d expected to be flying after a consistent winter training, i’ll share what he said to me that helped: celebrate the good things/achievements you’ve made along the way and give yourself less of a hard time. Easier said than done as i’m my own worst enemy for being hard on myself which is a vicious cycle to break. 🙂

Remember its a journey as well as a result – sometimes (usually?) the journey there is more important than the result. Training is very different to riding, took me a long time to adjust – but i still have days when i feel like you do, usually related to not eating enough / properly – hows your diet?

I’d say have time off the bike, exercise for fun (or not at all if you don’t feel like it – as my coach always tells me, a week off the bike won’t do anything fitness wise, you may feel like you’ve lost fitness but you won’t have). Ride with friends (this always helps me as solo training is tough going) Think less and don’t over think it – you are fit and can and will complete it. Get a change of scenery – train on different roads, or in different places (or bike!). If you are doing lots of long miles, you could try doing shorter but high intensity stuff for a change.

kennyp
    Free Member

Remember what Oscar Wilde didn’t say. “The only thing worse than riding a bike is not riding a bike”.

ton

what you need is a big dose of serious illness.
    they you will suddenly realise just how lucky you are…….now get the **** out on your bike….. 8)

Suggsey
    Free Member

If you ain’t enjoying yourself because you don’t want to compete then hey don’t compete, just go ride when you feel like it, take in the views and sit and have a brew and contemplate. I realised a while back that I don’t feel I have the need to prove to anyone anything or justify why I do what I do. Ride to enjoy it for yourself not for the glory or competition of others……

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Scunnered’ is closed to new replies.