• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Screwing into a breeze block wall
  • rossburton
    Free Member

I’m going to be putting new hooks and shelves on my garage wall. The wall is breeze block and mortar construction, and I’ve already had a bike fall on the floor by ripping the rawlplug out so I want to do it properly this time. I’m guessing the problem was that the breeze block collapsed a bit so the plug wasn’t really biting.

What does STW endorse? Should I screw into the breeze block with a plug (being careful to make a smaller hole for the rawl plug)? Or screw directly into the block? Or screw into the mortar between the blocks instead? Using a plug, or one of those concrete screws instead? I also see hammer-in concrete fittings which seem neat, assuming I can undo them in the future.

Too many options, not enough knowledge! Any suggestions from the hive mind?

ta11pau1

Watch out for dust and chafing on the arse cheeks and/or other sensitive areas.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Drill into the block. A decent drill bit on a powerful drill so you have a nice clean hole. Follow that up with a decent rawl plug – not all rawl plugs are equal. Dont use small plugs, 8mm ones are the go to.

Something like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-rawl-4-all-wall-plugs-8mm-100-pack/48521

If you have any like this > https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-plastic-plugs-7mm-1000-pack/41723

throw them in the bin.

rossburton
    Free Member

(goes to throw away all my rawlplugs)

Superficial
    Free Member

As long as the hole / plug / screw are the right diameter I don’t believe there’s an issue. I suspect your initial hole was too big for the plug?

Source: I have had between 6 and 8 bikes hanging for years in my garage. I suppose your walls could be crumblier than mine.

mehr
    Free Member

As above get decent plugs and don’t clean out the hole when you drill it

bruneep

As above get decent plugs and don’t clean out the hole when you drill it

😲😳

rossburton
    Free Member

Thanks. Ordered that pack of 100 and will just throw away all my shoddy Wilco specials. 🙂

I’ve already got some chunky wood screws so hopefully between them we’re sorted.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I agree there are shit plugs but

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-plastic-plugs-7mm-1000-pack/41723

Are perfectly fine assuming you havnt fists of ham.

They are holding up all my bikes right now in the garage.

Size the plug to the load your mounting.

kayak23

Another approach is to screw a large bit of ply up there with a good few fixings, then screw the hanger to the ply. Allows you to move it about if need be and spreads some load and that.

llama

Concrete screws like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive-countersunk-concrete-screws-7-5-x-100mm-100-pack/3839h

No plug, drill a pilot hole, screw them in

trail_rat
    Free Member

I dread to think what’s holding up pictures in some of you houses haha

andy5390

Drill hole

Hammer in frozen sausage

Sorry, wrong thread

bear-uk
    Free Member

If its those thermal type blocks then don’t use hammer action as they are really soft.

stumpyjon

Thermal type blocks you don’t even need a drill! Screwfix cheapo plugs are fine, make the hole a bit smaller, I generally have to rap the last 5to 10mm in with a hammer, anymore and the plug will collapse before it’s in the hole.

leffeboy

don’t clean out the hole when you drill it

Really? I was taught to clean the hole afterwards and I’ve always had the most success when I do that. Am interested if I am doing it wrongly though

giant_scum
    Free Member

BITD when working in new builds we used to fix socket boxes to breeze blocks just by punching a hole with an appropriate sized screwdriver.
    Sheet of plywood is a good suggestion as well fix it to the wall with screws, rawlplugs and some gripfill adhesive!

redmex
    Free Member

Buy that 1000 bag of 7mm then when you’re done find somewhere in your garage to store the 996 you have left for the next time
    Crappy flyash Durex blocks if the screwdriver can make a good hole, far better North of the border with a timber frame kit house

johncoventry

Unless I am dealing with really big loads I put a large screw straight into the block. No plug, straight in with the screw.

rossburton
    Free Member

johncoventry: a special concrete screw, or just a normal one?

TiRed

I bolt batten to the wall with rawlbolts. None of those plug things. Then I use coated hooks screwed into the batten.

Don’t waste your time with little things. Go 10mm and clean holes. I have got up to four bikes hanging from one batten. Including a trike.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-rawlbolts-m10-x-115mm-5-pack/87759

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Screwing into a breeze block wall’ is closed to new replies.