Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Screw a 4×4 – get one of these for the snow
  • grumm
    Free Member

The image above shows Russian huge all-terrain vehicle “Kharkovchanka” (made by Kharkov tractor factory), meant to conquer the Arctic and the Antarctic in the 1950s. Its truly gargantuan scale did not prevent it from moving at 40 km/h and climbing 30 degree inclines.

Plus more cool stuff like these –

Here

JulianA
    Free Member

I want a ride in one of those! Good link, too.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Keep it, I’ll have one of these please.

Great fun to drive

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sod those tiny little toys.
    I want something that I can drive, powered by this –

That’s the crankshaft of the worlds most poweful diesel engine

108,920 hp at 102 rpm !!!!

Each cylinder displaces 111,143 cubic inches (1820 liters) and produces 7780 horsepower. Total displacement comes out to 1,556,002 cubic inches (25,480 liters) for the fourteen cylinder version.

willard

Sorry… What you really need for snow is one of these:

That one is in better nick thatn my old one.

AB
    Free Member

I’ll take your Diesel Crankshaft and cut it in 2 like a twig!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not with that you won’t. It’s a digger, not a saw!
    😛

Del

that panda’s being driven by a dog!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Actually I used to have a Fiat Panda, the last time we had any decent sonw (1991?) and it was really good. Little skinny tyres cut straight through. No problem at all. I imagine the 4×4 is even better
    🙂

grumm
    Free Member

OK well if we are just talking giant machinery – how about these?

Massive drill

Edit: curses beaten to it!

Del

back on topic. try this one from lotus:

GrahamS

(that’s me driving)

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Del – Is that actually moving or is the guy frantically trying to get it started?

If its moving then congratulations to Lotus, they seem to have cracked that engineering thing at last.

willard

Or how about this… It’s a Bucyrus-Erie 1550-W.

The biggest dragline in Europe at the time. They do have larger ones in Athabasca right now though.

It’s actually nice to see pics of the draglines up and running. My dad used to work at RB (formed as part of Bucyrus-Erie and Ransome-Rapier, both huge players in the dragline market. Sad I know, but http://www.stripmine.org/ has a lot of my dad’s cranes in from both companies.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i love those gargantuan walking dragliners. they make me feel all ‘blokey’

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

but a panda 4×4 is the ultimate snow car for the road. we once got passed by one in the peaks and we were in a landrover with full snow chains

Olly
    Free Member

while big 4x4s are cool, they are pointless, we have roads, therefore, there only use…. (other than farmers and the few people who genuinly require one, no a building site L200 doesnt count, its a defender or nothing for proper required 4×4)…. is for fun, and if your gonna have fun, razzing round in an underpowered panda would be the weapon of choice i think?

toby1

How about a Panda powered by PP’s monster crankshaft (it doesn’t matter how I tried to re-write the phrase was innuendo bound) ….

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i suspect that cheap italian drive shafts and differentials woulf fail to cope with 50hp let alone 100,000

willard

Harsh. I think you’ll find that the Panda 4×4 actually has the drivetrain and 4WD system made by Steyr-Puch. It’s so tough that the Swiss use them for postal delivery in the Alps. I’ll admit that 100,000 hp might be a little much for ecen that sort of Germanic engineering though…

MrNutt
    Free Member

I use this for the school run and if I’m popping down the shops:

not had a ticket yet!

waihiboy
    Free Member

NO, NO , NO

You want an Ekranoplan… the Russians are mental!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i wouldn’t say they are mental, just very good at ‘persuading’ scientists to put all their intellect into building TOOLS OF WAR

barney
    Free Member

all their intellect into building TOOLS OF WAR

It’s all you could do to stop yourself from rubbing your hands together and going “Mwa ha ha ha ha” there, isn’t it?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

who’s to say i wasn’t?

waihiboy
    Free Member

there was a program on the history channel showing the Ekranoplan, total bonkers…

the first prototype had so much power the engines ripped themselves off!

Muke
    Free Member

My dream job,pottering up n down in one of these…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I WANT ALL OF THOSE THINGS!

Speshly that digger. I think that’s the world’s biggest thing. Biggest land vehicle.

And that Russian explorer vehicle at the top looks like the ultimate camper vayn!

Ekranoplan!!!!!!

I’m so excited, I’m going to have to go and have a little lie down.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i hated my dad for having access to the following when i was a kid:

Garron tracked vehicle

Octad 8 wheeled vehicle (2 of the)

various quad bikes

Landrovers with snow chains

Tractors

A mercedes unimog with snow plough and snow blower

often i would get to school when people who lived next to it didn’t

he even pulled the school bus out then it got stuck. that made me REALLY popular

now i look back it was pretty cool to get a go in those things though

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Screw a 4×4 – get one of these for the snow’ is closed to new replies.