Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Screen recording for software tutorials – what are you using?
  • convert

Ideally free/cheap.

I’m making tutorials for CAD software (Fusion 360). I was using just a blank Google meet and recording it. It works after fashion but does not show mouse clicks etc and you have to chuck it through something to edit them (I have access to premiere pro) and the capture quality is not great.

I was going to use Autodesk’s Screencast as that integrates really well and records button and mouse clicks, but Autodesk are ceasing its use in Jan so not worth making that part of my workflow.

So what do you use – there are a sufficient number of geeks here that must be doing similar to demonstrate relatively complex software.

Ta

configuration
    Free Member

I’d be interested in this. On a Mac, you can record the entire screen in Quicktime Player> Screen Recording, but for the sound, you can only choose the computer’s external mic, so it’s only recording sound from the computer’s speakers, which is sub-optimal. It would be good to be able to record internal sound, say from a movie clip or a webinar/Zoom call, as well as the screen.

thols2

On Windows you can record any app by pressing the start key (i.e. Windows key) + G.

dday

Try OBS software. It’s free, but takes a little getting used to, it has a serious amount of functinality. May be overkill, but its pretty powewful. It createws a ‘virtual camera’ which you can use to plugin to any recoding tool you have, such as zoom.

FuzzyWuzzy

Been years since I last used them but either Snagit or Camtasia depending on what I was doing (both here: https://www.techsmith.com/ )

nickjb
    Free Member

As thols2 says, it’s built in to windows. Part of the Xbox game bar but it’s not just for gaming. Only used it a few times but it works ok.
    Win + g to open the dash or win + alt + r to record

Bruce

Do the screen recording from within PowerPoint. It’s much more flexible than the windows version.

StuF

about to say powerpoint if you’ve got access to it. you can then export the recorded video straight to a separate file if needed

richmars

Can you do one on Fusion 360 joints?

I find them a right pain compared to Solidworks

xc-steve
    Free Member

If your needing more than the windows G option and want to give feedback/more of an actual demo rather than screen recording.

Adobe Captivate (don’t get excited by the fact it says Adobe they don’t really have much invovement with it) is the best for doing Screen demo’s capturing clicks and testing the learners etc after. It’s not free but you do get a trial period I think of either a week or month or pay per month if its via work.

Likewise Articulate Storyline has screen recording software with a 60 days trial and allows you to add layers interactity to test learners with.

chaos

Or Steps Recorder?  Also built into Windows although you end up with slide show rather than a video.

ampthill

I use to use recording from PowerPoint a fair bit for lock down lessons. The only down side was very slow saves to a video format

cthomas18
    Free Member

Mac user. I use Screenflow. Good piece of software, but not free.

Kip

+1 for Captivate. In fact my next big job is to create a whole stack of training videos for our, soon to be upgraded, enquiry management system.
    I didn’t pay for it though!

I love the editing tools within it, plus you can create all sorts of training resources.

Bruce

The difference between the windows screen recorder and the PowerPoint recorder is that Windows only let’s you record one program where PowerPoint let’s you switch between applications.
    I used PowerPoint during lockdown to do on line demos to use in SoftChalk lessons. It worked quite well.

leffeboy

I use the stream feature in office365 but for free then OBS is great if Win-G isn’t enough.  There are a lot of OBS tutorials out there so the learning curve isn’t that steep and it is super flexible.  Works best with two screens I think.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.