Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Screaming SRAM Guides
  • FOG

I have avoided Sram brakes since a dire set of Juicies a few years ago but have just bought my 1st complete bike for awhile which came with Guides. They seem to work fine but on my third time out on it , the brakes, rear in particular started really screaming when it started to rain. The rear set up such a vibration through the frame that I could feel it through the saddle!. Is it worth changing the pads for a less noisy compound? Or am I just stuck with the racket and will have to learn not to brake near horses or another sensitives?

geex
    Free Member

Sort of like a FOG HORN?

a friend had this (pure mad vibrationz)with a rear GUIDE RE on a hardtail. After trying absloutely everything possible to cure it the solution was to reduce the rear disc size to 180 from 200. vibration gone.

Weird, eh?

<spanner style=”fonz-size: 0.8retard;”></spaz>

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Had similar with my Code RSCs:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/howling-sram-codes/

Forgot to update the thread but they seem a lot better with the Matrix pads with a load more power to boot. Not had a properly wet ride yet but I’m praying next time out in decent rain they’ll behave otherwise I’ll be moving them on.

dlr

Recent thread about this. I have RE’s, great in the dry with original sintered and superstar sintered but ‘kin hell the noise in the wet! It will stop with say 10 secs of sustained braking on a really steep run but on an xc trail it won’t. I nearly threw the bike off a cliff due to it.

Took this suggestion instead, semi metallic option https://www.chainreactioncycles.com//nukeproof-avid-sram-x0-trail-guide-disc-brake-pads/rp-prod129759?utm_source=CRM&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=OrderConfirmation&utm_content=GB

Done a couple of rides, get a bit of squeal but goes in a couple of seconds so for me 98% better. Don’t seem to have quite the same outright power and had the rear fade with a lot of stinking on one long run, could still be bedding in, either way it’s a compromise I can live with as the other 2 options were new different brakes or stop riding till it’s dry and I really like the RE brakes other than this.

Ignore the bad reviews on their about not fitting, people can’t read instructions, just gently push your pistons back in with something softish, might not need to if new brakes now ie full width pads

dlr

^the other thread just been linked 🙂

joebristol

My guides seem ok since I swapped away from sram oe pads – particularkyvthe organic standard ones. Just been out for 3 hours in filthy wet conditions and the brakes worked faultlessly. Both ends have uberbike race matrix pads in them with 200f/180r centreline pads. My other bike has the same guide r’s on it with 200/160 centreline discs but standard organic pads and they’re rubbish in the wet in comparison. Loathe to change pads that still have life in them though – got uberbike pads ready to go in when needed.

FOG

Thanks for suggestions, 200mm REs on a HT are exactly what I have got, so I might have to grub around in the spares box for a 180mm disc and adaptor which I think I have. It does seem odd that 20mm difference in diameter gives such a drastic difference but the vibration is so bad I will definitely give it a go and try some different compound pads as well .

joemmo
    Free Member

I’ve had the OEM pad and some Nukeproof semi-metallic in Guide REs and the NP pads were a honking nightmare last weekend in the drizzle – I know, ‘brake less’ but sometimes you have to. it does fade after a few seconds but still annoying. 180 fr 160 rear discs BTW

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Screaming SRAM Guides’ is closed to new replies.