Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Scratched Stanchion
  • chevychase

I’m competent at the most basic of repairs but my o/h’s bike has some pretty badly scratched fork stanchions.

It’s been long overdue a service, so probably down to that tbh. But the question is:

Are scratched stanchions on an old pair of rebas economically fixed, or buy new?

Not are they “worth” fixing – yep, they’re only rebas. If it was half the cost of buying new then I’d go with a repair. She’s in line for a new bike in the not too distant future, so a cheap repair and keep this bike is my preference.

Any suggestions on where to send if repair is economical?

iolo
    Free Member

Wire wool to get any proud edges of he scratch down and fill the gouge with nail varnish.

chevychase

BTW – do we still have to do the double post before things get seen thang?

chevychase

I guess not 🙂

Thanks @Bruneep. Will have a look. Plymouth is a way, but if I’m posting it doesn’t matter where eh.

bruneep

Plymouth is a way, but if I’m posting it doesn’t matter where eh.

My forks and shock made it from Aberdeen to Plymouth and back without issues

mwleeds

Quite a few years ago now I used araldite and rubbed smooth with some wet and dry. It took quite a while to get smooth but seemed to work well. Nail varnish might be easier to smooth/remove excess though!

bigyan
    Free Member

ND Tuned 32mm stanchions are about £100/stanchion, plus fitting, new lower bushes and a service. Dave may have a new RS stanchion if he has stripped down a CSU.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Scratched Stanchion’ is closed to new replies.