Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Scratch to Kashima coat – should I do anything?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

I’ve got a 20mm long scratch in the Kashima coat on one of the stanchions.
    It’s not very deep but I can feel it with my fingernail.
    It’s about 15mm up from the seal.
    Don’t really fancy getting the sandpaper and nail polish (wife’s) on it for fear of causing more damage.
    Should I do anything or just ignore it?

milky1980
    Free Member

Had a similar thing on mine after a particularly wet weekend in the peaks meant a small bit of flint got stuck in the seal for a few seconds. Stopped immediately but there was damage done 🙁

Did the clear nail polish trick, finishing off with fine grade W&D paper. Been fine ever since. Just let the varnish dry overnight, should set rock solid in this weather, then wet the paper and go very gentle. I can’t even see where the scratch was!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have a scratch on rear shock, it hasn’t impacted performance, ie no air is being lost.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gee
    Free Member

A scratch won’t leak air. It will leak oil. The air can is sealed internally – it doesn’t rely on a wiper seal to keep in 200psi…

andyl
    Free Member

if it is is raised then you need to sort it carefully.

if it’s just a depression then don’t worry.

As above the air is not kept in between the lowers and the stanchions. All the damper and air spring stuff is on the inside. The only leak that will occur due to a poor leg/wiper seal is lubricating oil out and water in and your typical stanchion scratch wont affect it too much. just keep on top of the lower leg services as you should anyway.

if it’s proud then it can have a greater affect on the leaks, damage the wiper and possibly wear the bushing I guess and cause more friction.

zelak999
    Free Member

Thanks folks, it is minuscule but I will keep an eye on it.
    I’m pretty good at keeping on top of maintenance and change the seals every 6 months so shouldn’t be a major problem.
    Just a bit p*****d that its scratched!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Dirt can get into the scratch then into your fork,

Get the nail Amish and wet ‘n dry out.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Did this to my pike when basically brand new

No issues some 4 years later and no dirt in the oil when i change and no damage to the seal

I was worried though but in terms of performance it has made no difference. – i did use wet and dry as it had a raised edge but that was it. The dirt would need to be pretty miniscule to fit the scratch so perfectly then fall off inside – it may happen but not much tbh

maxtorque

PANIC! and PANIC hard! 😉

johnj2000
    Free Member

I’m panicking and its not even mine.

zelak999
    Free Member

Oh believe me, I’m panicking liked I’ve never panicked before.

bland

Don’t boots sell a nail polish which is the same colour? Sure there was a thread on it!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Scratch to Kashima coat – should I do anything?’ is closed to new replies.