Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Scrapping a car
  • brooess
    Free Member

After getting dragged up the motorway from London Village to the Lakes (and Glentress) for a weekend’s riding once again, my much abused 12 year old Clio has finally bitten the dust (300 notes getting towed back from a hard shoulder somewhere in Oxfordshire). I was going new car shopping next weekend anyway but it’s **** – looks like the cam belt so I don’t think it’s worth getting repaired just to get a part-ex deal.

So my plan is to get a man to come along and swap it for a few notes and take it away for a sympathetic burial in a scrap yard somewhere in South London.

Having not done this before, what’s the procedure, what can I expect to get for it and what do I need to tell DVLA and my insurance people?

ta

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

You’ll need to tell your insurance company and fill in the V5 appropriately for DVLA. Keep the tax disc as you can clam any remaining months.

Now for the bad news.
    Not scrapped a car myself, but a couple of mates have. They had to pay the scrappy to take it 😥

5thElefant
    Free Member

A couple of months ago the man would have given you money. Scrap metal is now pretty much worthless so you’ll have to pay to get rid of it. Or just stick it on ebay…

colnagokid

park it somewhere and set fire to it?

bruneep

colnagokid – Member

park it somewhere and set fire to it?

colnagokid

sorry for that!
    Can you tow it to a scrappy, you might something for it then or at least not cost you anything.
    Or advertise it for spares/repair

scraprider
    Free Member

advertise , £100.00ono spares or repairs,sorted, leave the tax on it , if less than 2 months m8

jonb
    Free Member

Put it on Ebay for 99p, someone might come and pick it up for you.

Failing that how hard is it to get the part and do the work yourself.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Take it to Hounslow TW3/4, will go AWOL within minutes.

Coyote
    Free Member

Failing that how hard is it to get the part and do the work yourself.

If it’s the cam belt that’s snapped then it can require quite major surgery, i.e. cam belt, valves, rocker cover skimming, cylinder head gasket, etc…

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Ring your council, mine will come and pick up a car and take to the scrappy for £25.

Hugh-Jarse
    Free Member

Around Guildford there is a scrappy who will take it away for nothing based in Aldershot.

Just make sure you get the V5 filled out properly and sent it to DVLA asap.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Scrapping a car’ is closed to new replies.