Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Scrambled Eggs
  • Merak

Do you believe the use of a microwave is to the detriment of the final result.

Do you agree butter and saucepan is the only way to go?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yes. Streetfood style…

Shackleton

Microwave is method of last resort. The fat and water seems to leak out leaving dry egg sat in a greasy puddle.

Should also add some milk or cream, salt and pepper….

longdog
    Free Member

Loads of butter in a pan on the cooker, seasoning and don’t over cook it!

I occasionally add some garlic soft cheese for some extra oo la la!

jezzasnr

Good eggs, good butter, we’ll seasoned in a good heavy pan. Stop just before you think they’re done.
    Simple things done well.

burntembers

Never done scrambled in microwave so would be interested to hear how they’re done. Have done what l call microwave mini omelettes loads. They are definitely lesser to using a pan, but good enough for quickness.

Method:

Two eggs in microwavable breakfast bowl, add dash of milk then whisk until all well mixed. Add a small knob of butter.

Microwave for 12 seconds, remove and give quick whisk to mix in butter. Microwave for further 1 min 25 secs.

Season and serve on toast of choice. Above timings may have to be tweaked for each Microwave as cooking too long results in rubber. Can also add extras at start such as cheese and ham.

ransos
    Free Member

Lots of butter, cook slowly, take off the heat just before they’re done. You don’t need milk.

Bunnyhop

Certain foods should be kept away from a microwave and scrambled eggs need to be cooked slowly on the hob, where possible.

poly
    Free Member

Merak – yes the finished product is worse.  pan is not the only way to go but is the best result.  A very patient person can make ok scrambled eggs in M/W – melt butter first (which also pre warms bowl) stir in the eggs and take in and out the M/W lots more than you think you should – every 5-10s and stirring constantly for the same length of time (5-10s) between returning.  It still won’t be as good as well cooked eggs on the hob but will be better than badly cooked eggs on the hob.  Most people overcook the eggs whether on the hob or m/w because they don’t appreciate they will continue to cook once you turn it off. IMO melting the butter first is essential as its water content is low so doesn’t absorbs M/W well therefore you actually cook the eggs before the butter is properly melted otherwise.

heston developed an interesting method for scrambled eggs for Little Chef a while back as they had no decent way…. It was in a pouch in a waterbath – if I worked in an office with no hob or microwave I’d be tempted to see if a kettle of boiling water in a big bowl could achieve the same thing.

edward2000
    Free Member

As above, I do mine in a pan. 3 eggs, salted, into a hot pan with oil and butter and caresses around the pan for about 30 seconds. Pepper added at the end.

nickc

Do you believe…

Do you agree….

This sounds like an ongoing argument. 🙂

onehundredthidiot

In pan add kimchi at the end is delicious.

chestrockwell

Eggs, pepper, bit of cheese in a cup, lump of butter melted in a pan, cup contents pored in and then stirred until they look nearly done.

End.

sirromj

add kimchi at the end/blockquote>

Reported

bobbyspangles

eggs, butter salt, pepper.
    low heat, cook until soft peaks appear.

anything else doesn’t work

ElShalimo

Surely it depends on how “wet” or fluffy you like your eggs?

tomd
    Free Member

Their are basically 2 acceptable versions of scrambled eggs:

1) French – eggs are stirred continually and gently heated until fluffy and creamy. A dash of cream at the end to stop cooking
    2) American – bit of butter and eggs are lightly fried with some stirring to give larger curds and some extra flavour from browning

With very careful microwaving (low power, lots of stopping to stir) it’s possible to do an ok version of #1. But you could do it quicker and better in a pan so really only for when there’s no hob.

Growing up we had nasty scrambled eggs with milk added so the liquid leached out after cooking. I think the milk adding was something my parents picked up from theirs, who started it during rationing to make the eggs go further. It’s an abomination.

kilo

Melt the butter in a pan and then gently cook chilli flakes for twenty seconds or so before adding the eggs.

When cooked and served add green Tabasco as desired.

susepic

Smallest burner, lowest setting, for as long as it takes, stirring almost all the time

No milk.

Chopped parsley and a shot of tabasco in the mixture

Chopped smoked salmon or al dente asparagus tips stirred in a minute before it comes off the heat

Del

1:20s for three large eggs in my microwave. If unsure back off time and do 5s min, 10s max bursts. 5s is min required in my microwave to effect any change of state. Salt, pepper, nothing else required. Consistently good results.

doris5000

Lots of butter, cook slowly, take off the heat just before they’re done.

This is the way.

Then also stir a spoonful of double cream through right at the end.

slowoldman

Yes.

dyna-ti

3Eggs, no butter,couple of teaspoons worth of milk, tiniest pinch of good salt. Cook until runny.

Caher

Everyone has their own view but for me: garlic oil spray, black pepper. Avoid the microwave as it’ll turn it into a school dinner.
    Timely, as I’m just back from a 6 hour ride and making one now.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m happy enough with microwaved eggs, too much else to be doing with my life to be messing about.

“Creamy” ie. still liquid eggs give me the boak.

rOcKeTdOg

3 eggs per person, Knob of butter, splash of milk, plenty of white pepper and a saucepan on gas. Cook until just firm

J-R

Just watched my sister making an “omelette” following the microwave scrambled egg method.

Do you believe the use of a microwave is to the detriment of the final result.

No “believe” about it.

The thing that comes out is like the eggy substance that used to be served in aeroplane breakfasts in the days when airlines actually provided hot meals on short haul. It is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike scrambled egg or omelette.

Make it if you want, but don’t call it scrambled egg.

catfood
    Free Member

I use Gordon’s method, a couple of eggs, a few knobs of butter added, whisk, add salt and white pepper ( much more suited than black), cook low and slow, keep stirring, I sometimes add a bit of parmesan at the end.

alric
    Free Member

you need cheese to make scrambled egg.
    dont let it boil,turn it down and let it dry out a bit

fooman

You need butter / cream / cheese to make your scrambled eggs edible, and then have the audacity to complain about people microwaving them?

slowoldman

You definitely need butter, plenty of it. But certainly not cheese or milk or cream. Cook over a VERY low heat until barely set.

dyna-ti

You can do scrambled eggs using a steam jet. It is quicker, and I’ve used it in kitchens I’ve worked in, though only for staff meals rather than the restaurant.
    If you go to a cafe and order scrambled eggs,listen out for a steam jet

oldtennisshoes
    jamesco

Interesting about the water, I once saw an audition for a cookery show where the test was to make the best scrambled eggs. One young kid surprised the producers and pro chef by using a bain marie , he said his grandma showed him how, he won while all the rest made rubbery piles !

Klunk
    Free Member

3 eggs per person wtaf! no wonder they are rationing eggs.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Forget the scrambled eggs, what to do with those tossed salads?

Del

Just watched my sister making an “omelette” following the microwave scrambled egg method

Just because your sister is shit at using a microwave doesn’t mean someone else can’t do it.

J-R

Just because your sister is shit at using a microwave doesn’t mean someone else can’t do it.

Just because my sister’s shit at cooking eggs in a microwave doesn’t mean someone else will do it well.

cookeaa

Microwave is a lazy but acceptable method if you’re in a rush or catering for several people.

Winner in our house is to chunk up an inch or so of chorizo sausage, fry that off in the pan so it covers the pan in is oil, then crack two eggs straight in and mush them up with the spatula.

CountZero

Should also add some milk or cream, butter, salt and pepper, cheese, maybe some soy sauce, chilli flakes, maybe some finely chopped smoked salmon…

Works for me. Note to self – need eggs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.