Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Scrambled egg recipes, tell us your family secret recipes…
  • Premier Icon chaos

No-one making them in a bain-marie?

Rarely bother but results are excellent if you have the time.  They end up beautifully creamy and there’s very little danger of over-cooking. Butter is just there to coat the bowl  – add more to your toast if you want more butteriness.

Premier Icon binners

Corned beef is also good cooked through it.

Now you’re talking! Best post on the thread so far. I’ll be giving that a go!

Premier Icon theotherjonv

I think we all know who STW can turn to for the definitive answer

16 mins in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0007fbr/mortimer-whitehouse-gone-fishing-series-2-episode-2

Premier Icon binners

@jamiemcf – this will probably be right up your strasse

Delia’s corned beef hash with fried eggs

Premier Icon Nick

Opps

Premier Icon drijones
    Free Member

Nuke 5 eggs for 2 mins, breaking up with a fork on 60s and 90s. Grated parmesan, pepper, ketchup, serve on toast. Yum

Premier Icon Nick

Premier Icon cteagles

Butter, a good chunk of it. Eggs and a splash of milk and then just a they start to firm up in the pan take it off the heat and stir in a dollop of creme fraiche and then season. Plate up and add herbs of choice.

Bonus bacon, chopped and fried till crisp can be stirred in as well.

Premier Icon jamiemcf

Well up for that @binners, tomorrow’s dinner is sorted

Premier Icon ransos
    Free Member

It adds no flavour in fact it dilutes the flavour, you lose any texture of the egg and that lovely fluffiness you get from eggs which you don’t get with egg and milk. If it isn’t adding anything to the party then just leave it out.

It changes the texture, which some people may prefer. I do agree that it dilutes the flavour of the egg.

Premier Icon tomd

How do people feel about Jacques Pépin’s scrambled eggs?

I’m normally a eggs + cold butter and stir person, but he’s gently cooking in butter and whisking it into a kind of fluffy egg porridge. The result look pretty good but not something I’ve made myself. Tempted to give it a bash.

I think what can be agreed on is milk should not enter the equation. I did see a very old (like 1700s era recipe) for scrambled eggs that had the eggs + a shed load of heavy cream mixed in at the start. Even 300 odd years ago they weren’t poor enough to dilute the eggs with milk.

Premier Icon mrwhyte
    Free Member

Some finely chopped decent chorizo. One that is spicy but falls apart slightly as it cooks in the pan first, so plenty of fat. Then add the already mixed egg, dash of milk, salt and pepper.

Premier Icon Ro5ey
    Free Member

I like to scramble my eggs by chucking them at cars

on a B-road that joins the A4 Bath road

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

You can add anything, but the real secret is they should be slightly runny, and not overcooked.

I like them very simple, with a little smoked salt and some finely chopped chive.

Premier Icon mahalo

we just microwave em.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

Milk only came in to being used during rationing as somone else pointed out

It’s not *entirely* true though.

Egg ration was 1 per week which you wouldn’t waste on scrambled eggs – no amount of milk will turn that into enough to feed someone vs say a fried egg, you’d just end up with a strange egg soup.

You did get some dried eggs though, which could (if you were feeling very flush) be made up with milk to give something resembling scrambled egg or omelette but mostly, your ration of milk was 3 pints a week and unlikely to be used where water would do (and it does work well enough with powdered egg.)

Premier Icon properbikeco
    Free Member

as has been said, butter and low heat, keep it moving until it’s the consistency you want

Premier Icon slowoldman

I thought Jacques Pépin’s eggs were too fluid for my liking but then I would leave out the milk. I thought the idea of reserving a little beaten egg to add later was pretty good.

Premier Icon chakaping

I’m not gonna get all pissy about how to cook them (I know the right way and that’s enough for me), but I genuinely had no idea some people do it with oil.

Don’t worry though, I won’t be trying it.

Premier Icon tjagain

One hundred!

A hundred post thread on scrambled eggs with so many folk getting it wrong? Oil FFS. Microwaves?

Jeepers

Premier Icon Del

😀

Premier Icon campalumpa
    Free Member

For each egg, add as much milk as will fill one half of the cracked egg. Whisk with salt and pepper.
    Melt butter, twirl around pan, add egg mix and cook slowly until only very slightly runny

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

100+. Now getting figuratively over-egged, and yet literally under-egged with the milk of human blindness!

Thanks STW. I’d always added milk because never thought to question it since I was a kid watching it being made. Now after making it properly am a milk-free scrambled-eggs convert.

Cooking it all from cold (from the stove to the butter) takes a long time and it works best. Those soft golden goujons of eggy goodness are a thing of beauty. Am now excited about breakfast again. Cheese or no cheese. But the drop of hot pepper sauce remains. Non-negotiable.

Premier Icon oldnpastit

Premier Icon sparksmcguff

Two or three eggs, in heated olive oil or butter break them gently in let them begin to cook then fold. Adding paper and salt and any other seasoning. Fold don’t whisk. No milk.

Premier Icon sofaman

If the cardiac ward appeals, try Revuelto de Morcilla

Premier Icon hugo
    Free Member

I swear by the Ramsey method.

No messing about. Eggs and plenty of butter in a cold pan at the same time. Stick on heat and get scrambling. Done and dusted in a minute or two.

As to adding stuff?

Chillis, parsley, coriander, truffle, feta, cheese, chorizo, bacon bits,…

Loads of stuff really. No milk or any other nonsense. Eggs and butter, done.

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Free Member

2 duck eggs from the lady in the village. Butter added to hot pan, after a few second add eggs and stir immediately. I’ve taken to whisking, stirring and flipping the eggs with chopsticks and the way they breakup into chunks is very satisfying.
    A couple of slices of warm bread with lightly salted butter and some black pepper and I’m done.

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.