Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Scrambled egg recipes, tell us your family secret recipes…
  • Del

3 large eggs, ground salt and pepper, microwave for 1:20. Stir. If too runny another 7s at a time. You have to be careful though as eggs reach a tipping point when heated in the microwave where they can go from runny to rubber in 12s. Heating for less than 5s doesn’t change their state noticeably.

chestrockwell

No whisking, no milk.

Crack all the eggs in to a cup, add pepper, add some small chunks of cheddar. Big lump of butter in the pan until melted, pour the cup contents in the pan and keep stirring until the cheese has melted. A dollop of cream or creme fraiche is lovely as a treat too but a bit overboard for every day scoffing.

franksinatra

There are a lot of egg perverts here.

Serve what you want on the side but if you are putting anything other than eggs and butter in the pan then you are a wrong’un.

Seasoning goes on afterwards, the only place for milk is in tea. There is never a place for oil in scrambled eggs.

There are a few people on here who don’t realise that they are actually making omelettes.

ransos
    Free Member

For full STW points, I should add that I smoke the salmon myself and the eggs are from our own chickens 😉

nickc

I’ve never put milk (or cream) in scrambled eggs. Just crack them into a pan with butter, season to taste, tip out onto a plate.

tjagain

You lot have obvioulsy run out of sausages…

It seems like many of them have been playing “hide the sausage”

alanf
    Free Member

Eggs in pan, black pepper, scramble. Done.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Butter melted at the start, no milk, just 3 eggs, salt and pepper, cook in the butter until still sift, then add another knob of butter to finish. Slopped onto thick toasted Lidl cob, magic.

No herbs, cheese or any of that shit, and must still be a bit runny, as the pictures above!

doris5000

NO MILK EVER!! (see also: mashed potatoes)

If it’s not runny enough, you’ve overcooked it and/or not used enough butter

Butter melted at the start, no milk, just 3 eggs, salt and pepper, cook in the butter until still sift, then add another knob of butter to finish.

This is good, but personally I would put both knobs of butter in at the start, and a dessert spoon of double cream in at the end.

Should be done on the lowest possible heat, preferably taking an annoyingly long time.

If I’m feeling fruity I’d add a touch of fresh thyme, but then I’d probably omit the cream.

Pook

Add feta.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

This is good, but personally I would put both knobs of butter in at the start, and a dessert spoon of double cream in at the end.

Should be done on the lowest possible heat, preferably taking an annoyingly long time.

If I’m feeling fruity I’d add a touch of fresh thyme, but then I’d probably omit the cream.

You’ve confused yourself, you’d add cream, then you’d omit cream? The butter at end adds the creaminess, that’s why. Magic.

DezB
    Free Member

There are a lot of egg FOOD perverts on here

FTFY

2. Cut smoked salmon into small pieces

Well, finally binbins has outed himself as a posho! I knew it all along.
    Drinks his tea from a cup n saucer with his little finger stuck out too.

timmys

Ingredients;
    F**ck tons butter
    Eggs
    Salt and Pepper

Method;
    Delia

NOT INGREDIENTS EVER;
    Milk
    Oil (or any fat that is not butter)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@timmys Aye, I’m pretty sure I follow Delia’s tried and tested.

doris5000

You’ve confused yourself, you’d add cream, then you’d omit cream? The butter at end adds the creaminess, that’s why. Magic.

Yes but cream does tend to add more creaminess than anything else. Even butter.

I’d only omit the cream if I was going to add thyme. Which is really nice btw, you should try it!

FuzzyWuzzy

2 or 3 eggs per person always the issue

I only ever make scrambled eggs when I’ve got half a dozen eggs I’d forgotten about as I can’t fry them in one go :p 6 large eggs is surprisingly not that filling.

monkeyboyjc

Dash of Milk and bit of pepper in with the eggs before whisking, butter in the pan that’s it….. Cook how you like it.

I do like a bit of hot sauce and cheese on top though (wife would never do that)

timmys

Scrambling eggs does seem to send them into some weird alternate universe with different physical properties;

1 fried egg – nicely pairs with one slice of toast
    1 scrambled egg – covers a mouthful sized area of piece of toast.

llama

Lots of butter, eggs, salt, pepper (ground white is best)
    Very low heat
    Stir slowly and don’t stop for any reason
    Take off the heat before done
    Add even more butter
    Check seasoning

No whisking, you just want to break the yolks, not amalgamate them. No oil, no cream, no milk, no herbs

Favourite accompaniments: nice sausages. Kippers is lush. Or smoked salmon mixed in but watch the salt.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Egg Master for consistent results.

1 scrambled egg – covers a mouthful sized area of piece of toast.

It’s mysterious. Thanks to STW I was forced to have scrambled egg for brunch.

2 x eggs* =

*Recently resumed buying (variously sized, proper free-range) local eggs from local folk with local gardens. £1.50 seems the average per 1/2 dozen. Doable. The eggbike rides again!

thecrookofdevon

Toast and coffee need to be ready in advance. Don’t put in any milk or butter to the eggs. Just crack 2 or 3 into a jug with a good bit of sea salt. Then cook them with the steam wand of your coffee machine. Switch off the heat a couple of times in the process which will take 2-3 minutes tops. You’ll never go back. Oh and you clean the steam wand by squirting steam through it which is a doddle. Maybe add some parsley and pepper once cooked.

slowoldman

binners is right, oil and milk have no place in scrambled egg. Whisk with black pepper and perhaps a little good salt. Very large knob of butter melted gently, add eggs, stir constantly with wooden (of course) spatula over very low heat. Remove when softly cooked. The toast MUST already be done. I may now and then add a splash of cream (not often these days and more likely to be an extra knob of butter) and smoked salmon.

If you don’t like butter you should cook your eggs some other way.

Danny79
    Free Member

Butter and eggs like the man says
    https://youtu.be/dnUR3JL_X_8

Great with salmon.
    Or fried green chilies.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

You lot are weird.

Without milk it’s a fried egg you broke. You might want that but it’s not scrambled eggs.
    If it’s not runny it’s not scrambled egg, it’s an omelette, runny means some of the egg should be runny not the liquid crap you get from too much milk or over cooking, none should be firm enough to to hold together when touched. If it’s cooked more than that it’s an omelette.
    The only things beyond egg and milk allowed are salt and pepper. Oil etc in the eggs are needed because you’re over cooking them, it’s how you stop breakfast buffet eggs turning into a rubbery a solid mass in 2 minutes under lamps, (oil/butter the pan as you see fit). Salmon cheese etc *in* the eggs means you’re making an omelette not scrambled eggs.

Tip onto receptacle, season with your choice of diced chilli, balsamic, maybe some shavings of parmesan, hp sauce, smoked salmon, goat testicle or what ever. So long as its not tomato ketchup.

That being said, personally never ‘mix’ it in the pan, mix, add to hot pan and cook stir with a spatula to stop it catching but don’t set about deliberately breaking it up. I go for plonking it on of wilted spinach or chard, then top with chilli and shallots fried with a little whole grain mustard, mushrooms and garlic.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well an omelette is an un-scrambled scrambled egg. omelettes are effectively scrambled egg but contained within a firm/sealed exterior. Nothing worse than a dry omlette or dry scrambled egg. Just scrambled egg in a different form.

The only difference is that when I’m doing an omlette I whisk the egg so it runs thinly through the fork tangs. When mixing eggs for scrambled eggs I wont mix up as much so they still have some of that ‘mucus’ texture to them – mixed just enough to incorporate the yolk evenly through the white. This means you can minimise the cooking so they stay together and remains wet with a soft fluffy texture.

Add milk then I have no idea what you’ve just made. It’s certainly not scrambled egg. It’s a sort of un-cooked custard mix thing. Just what is the milk doing? It adds no flavour in fact it dilutes the flavour, you lose any texture of the egg and that lovely fluffiness you get from eggs which you don’t get with egg and milk. If it isn’t adding anything to the party then just leave it out.

acsevens

The eggs should just be the vehicle to deliver the butter and salt.

nickdavies

Have we got two recipes the same yet? Most of you are heathens 🤣 anybody using oil or milk needs educating!

Eggs and butter into cold pan. Heat on low, gently break up and combine eggs. Let it cook a bit, gently stir off heat, back on heat and repeat. Salt and pepper at end.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Without milk it’s a fried egg you broke

Does that pic of my egg on toast look like a fried egg? No milk used. No butter either to be fair, (used Pure olive spread). Having good tasty eggs (and enough salt and and fat) is the key, after all.

People: ‘Eggs is eggs’ 🥚
    STWer: ‘No! This is eggs…’🫒

franksinatra

Eggs and butter into cold pan. Heat on low, gently break up and combine eggs. Let it cook a bit, gently stir off heat, back on heat and repeat. Salt and pepper at end.

A few of us have also been right and said what you said. Everyone else is wrong. (by the way, you forgot to mention lots of butter)

bikerevivesheffield

Is scrambled eggs without milk just a shit omelette

Del

Milk only came in to being used during rationing as somone else pointed out.

I’m mildly put out that no one’s castigated me for doing mine in the microwave 😀

kirky72
    Free Member

Eggs only, a little Marge or butter into the frying pan add eggs when they start to form a bit I add some pepper, occasionally a little cinnamon which is a rip given by some American colleagues a long time back or Paprika. I never add cinnamon to an omelette but again paprika is good along with a bit of ham or bacon.

seosamh77
    Free Member

2 eggs, milk, micro 1 min, mix up with a fork, micro about 1 minute more. till it’s just passed the runny stage. Don’t like runny scrambled egg tbh, don’t like overdone, just at the tipping point before the clear stuff starts coming out. Add salt and pepper to taste, then eat with 2 slice of buttered toast.

voodoo-rich

when offered scrambled eggs for breakfast by his mum, my 14 yr olds response is “ok, but can dad make it?”

butter, eggs, wooden spoon, non-stick pan, pepper at the start, salt at the end, lots of stirring 🙂

binners

When I’m running the world (not long now comrades) people who put oil or milk in scrambled eggs will be second against the wall, once I’ve dealt with the perverts who put fruit in cheese

slowoldman

I’m definitely with you on fruity cheese. Partial to a Gregg’s pasty too.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Wow ! I’ve got over 70 ways to cook a scrambled egg, one thing for sure is no more milk!

I’m so eggcited…thanks all

simondbarnes

Eggs & butter
    Season after cooking

Things I sometimes add – cheese, chillies, spinach

jamiemcf

Eggs, butter, whisked around, heat.

I like Cajun spices through it (Schwartz is my favourite), haggis is good cooked first then mixed in. Corned beef is also good cooked through it.

On toast.

timmys

a little Marge

Quite apart from the Marge Simpson visuals.

marge = vaseline with colouring = should be nowhere near food.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Scrambled egg recipes, tell us your family secret recipes…’ is closed to new replies.