Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Scrambled egg recipes, tell us your family secret recipes…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I always add a dash of milk with herbs with a dash of oil, always a bit runny and no one likes it.
    Wife doesn’t add milk or oil, I also don’t like it

Lets hear your perfect scrambled egg recipes…

IHN

Any egg scrambled is an egg that could have been fried.

yetidave
    Free Member

I dont eat it, but my kids love the simple way. Splash of milk, a little butter and a grind of pepper.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    footflaps

I use loads of olive oil, also has the advantage of not needing to clean the pan afterwards it all just slides out….

mogrim

Dash of milk, bit of oil or butter if I can arsed. Bit of salt and pepper. What herbs do you use?

Any egg scrambled is an egg that could have been fried.

Indeed, or turned into an omelette, or used to make a cake or quiche or arroz con costra or a whole load of other possible destinies. But the OP’s asking about scrambled eggs, which are nice on toast after training 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Loads of butter instead of oil will instantly improve it. Make it less runny?

I like a bit of spring onion or chive chopped on top. And hot sauce, obvs.

pastyboy65
    Free Member

2 or 3 eggs per person always the issue.

johndoh
    Free Member

I dont eat it, but my kids love the simple way. Splash of milk, a little butter and a grind of pepper.

This (without the pepper – don’t understand the need for pepper in something as delicately -flavoured as egg).

It also works well in a microwave.

mogrim

Make it less runny?

That delicate point where they suddenly turn from a bit runny (how I like ’em) to dry and overcooked… the problem comes when your toast isn’t ready, and the pot’s hot enough to keep cooking the eggs even after turning off the heat.

lunge

Eggs, well whisked. No milk, that just waters things down.
    Salt and pepper.
    Frying pan, low heat, knob of butter (butter makes all food better, don#t mess around with oil).
    Cook slowly and keep them moving, you want them pale.
    When they’re still runny take them off the heat, add another knob of butter and a few chives.
    Leave it for a minute or 2.
    Final stir and serve, ideally with smoked salmon.

IHN

Indeed, or turned into an omelette, or used to make a cake or quiche or arroz con costra or a whole load of other possible destinies.

Okay, I’ll be more specific; in any situation where a scrambling, poaching or omeletting an egg is being considered, the egg should instead be fried.

muttley109
    Free Member

Lots of butter, salt, pepper and cook slowly over the lowest heat possible stirring frequently. Stop cooking when still a bit runny.

In summer when chives are growing i’ll chuck some of them in too.

footflaps

Loads of butter instead of oil will instantly improve it. Make it less runny?

I detest butter, hence use oil. Don’t find it makes it runny at all…

stayhigh

Heat some good olive oil in pan then add an appropriate number of eggs and mix with a splash of milk. Leave for a few minutes to start to thicken then give a stir, repeat until desired consistency achieved. Personally I like mine with freshly ground black pepper and oregano however YMMV. Serve on whatever or with whatever floats your boat and enjoy!

sboardman

I’d recommend goat’s butter and then some dried chilli flakes in the melted butter for about 20 seconds prior to the eggs going in.

I am also yet to perfect toast and egg timings. Even worse if you’ve got some sourdough that always takes about 3x as long to toast as normal bread.

russianbob
    Free Member

@mogrim – that’s when you should add the dash of milk. This will stop the eggs cooking in their own heat while you prep the toast.

Butter then salt and pepper, then the eggs, whisk, turn heat down just as they start to turn add a dash of milk to stop the cooking and turn the heat off.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

steel sauce pan and fork

eggs plus a yolk

butter

dash of cream

salt

scramble with the fork so you get very small peices, serve when just cooked, not hard. ( hard = yuck)

Serve with smoked salmon and wheaten bread (wholemeal soda).

tjagain

Oil in scrambled eggs? what are you some sort of perv?

Eggs, splash of milk, salt pepper whisked together. Melt a decent pat of butter in the pan. Off you go. a few chives if you are a proper posho.

anything else is an abomination and gets you excommunicated and burnt at the stake

Tallpaul

Breakfast is 3 eggs whisked well, nothing else added. If I’m feeling reckless, I’ll melt a knob of butter in the pan first.

If it’s a special occasion, I’ll serve them on a well buttered, lightly toasted bagel with smoked salmon on top.

stevious

I like them slightly runny. Splash of milk before cooking then once it’s off the heat a wee bit of grated cheese melted in.

I was well into my twenties before I realised that people make scrambled eggs without cheese.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I make ours with some spinach in. Olive oil in the pan, wilt spinach then chuck the eggs in and lightly season….don’t have the pan on too hot. Then serve on toast topped with some mushrooms. That’s my breakfast 75% of the time….absolutely love it. We’ve got hens, so a fairly plentiful supply of eggs. They’ve got their own ‘lockdown’ currently so supply and quality have both taken a hit of late!

tomd
    Free Member

The proper way is just eggs cracked into pan, add butter, stir for a bit, take off heat as start to harden, stir a bit more, season and serve.

If you add oil first you get mangled fried egg. If you add milk you just made pancakes without flour.

rjmccann101

I’ve given up scrambling for the mug egg(s). Take a microwavable mug and crack an egg into it. Add a small knob of butter and some grated cheese, whisk with a fork. In my 900w microwave it takes 70 seconds to cook. Two eggs works if your mug is big enough, I add 10 seconds to the cooking time in this case. For extra points take one of the chilli’s you grew and froze in the summer and chop it into the mug before whisking.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

This thread is reinforcing why I never eat scrambled eggs that aren’t cooked by myself

brads
    Free Member

A little butter and milk in the pan, followed by the eggs and some salt and pepper.
    Whisked with a fork.
    On the heat and never left still. Stirred constantly with a wooden spoon.
    Taken off the heat whilst still a little bit wet and continue stirring for a few seconds till it begins to stop cooking.

Perfect.

jimmy

whisk eggs with salt and pepper, melt butter (or use olive oil) not too hoot. Cook on a low heat, stirring slowly – don’t chop up too much – nice big pieces. When almost cooked but still moist, turn off heat and stir in a decent knob of butter. Slather over buttered toast (pref Sourdough).

somafunk

Eating mine right now, and its been my breakfast for the previous 20+years, scrambled eggs are the food of the gods to set me up for the day.

2 or 3 eggs from a mates chooks, 30ml double cream, dash of salt/pepper in a jug, quick whisk, not too much – set aside while I do the rest.

In a heavy bottomed frying pan sizeable chunk of kerrygold butter, one large chilli (deseeded), healthy dose of paprika (sweet or hot), fresh pepper, get it all sizzling in pan and pour in eggs, chopped coriander and a slice of quorn ham (im veggie) quick mess around with a spatula and turn down to 2.

cut two slices of Irish wheaten loaf (homemade of course) and place under grill, chop spring onion – throw into pan with eggs – remove from heat and throw in some grated lagganory cheese from rainton ethical dairy – quick fold around in pan and leave to sit for a minute.

Butter toasted wheaten loaf with chunk of kerrygold, serve on plate with chopped plum tomatoes and homemade turmeric and black pepper kimchi.

sit down and nom….nom….nom…nom…burp.

Then its time for morning cappuccino ritual………

toby1

Pan cooked with salted butter, nothing else needs to be added. I prefer them ‘cooked’ so an omelette in chef speak. But that’s just what I prefer to runny eggs. If other people make them, I usually want them cooked more.

binners

Olive oil? Milk? For the love of god, why would that even enter your head?

The best breakfast ever:

1. Crack eggs into bowl, add loads of black pepper, whisk.

2. Cut smoked salmon into small pieces and mix into the eggs

3. Big lump of butter in the pan, pour any nearby olive oil down the drain, then pour the egg/smoked salmon mix into the melted butter

4. Allow to cook on a low heat, constantly stirring, so the smoked salmon is lightly poached as the eggs cook

5. Serve on a lightly toasted bagel with loads of butter

Trust me, you’ll thank me for this

Olive oil? Milk? Have a word with yourselves…

franksinatra

Butter, lots of butter. 2-3 eggs, lots of butter, heat slowly in pan, stir with wooden spoon (don’t beat or whisk), add more butter then serve on toast whilst still slightly runny. Lots of pepper.

Did I mention butter, lots of butter.

mogrim

@mogrim – that’s when you should add the dash of milk. This will stop the eggs cooking in their own heat while you prep the toast.

@russianbob
    neat trick, will give this a go next time 👍

p7eaven
    Free Member

CheesyEegs

I’m fussy about scrambled egg and cook the same every time. Serves one.

2 x eggs
    *small* splash of milk or non-dairy alternative
    Good curl of butter “”
    Handful/2 tblspoons of grated cheddar “”

Combine in non-stick or oiled pan, breaking the yolks with spatula and mixing vigorously. Add gentle heat and cook until soft and even, not too long else it becomes separated and rubbery. When perfectly cooked removed from heat immediately.

Serve with thick toast and small glug of hot pepper sauce (plain habanero or tabasco works best). Sprinkle black pepper and/or smoked paprika to taste.

Edit: To the non-milkers, I’ll try one today without. The milk thing was just something I picked up from the family recipe, and always glad to revise if it improves a recipe. With the cheesy eggs it may need the milk to keep soft and open. No-one likes tight and rubbery. Ok maybe you do. But I bet you also like R*y Ch*bby Br*wn and ketchup on everything

Scapegoat

Luxurious scrambled eggs. Get the toast done and buttered before I start the eggs, that way I can tip them onto the toast at the critical stage. Butter into a small non-stick saucepan, 3 eggs with a pinch of salt and a grind of pepper and a dash of double cream. Never water or milk.

Melt the butter in the pan, and wait until it starts to foam. Tip in the eggs and leave for about ten seconds, lift off the heat and stir to get the set egg of the bottom and sides of the pan, then repeat this process, putting the pan back on the heat and allowing another bit to set before scrambling it back into the mixture. To my mind the eggs should be glossy, and the consistency of lumpy, really thick cake batter, rather than distinct lumps or crumbs of egg, in other words setting but not completely set throughout. It should flow, but not be runny.

Served on toast, smoked salmon optional……

Nick

No milk, bit of butter in pan, pinch of salt and good dose of pepper in the eggs, whisk, cook until creamy but not solid.

Main thing is no milk, ever.

ransos
    Free Member

Trust me, you’ll thank me for this

No-one will thank you for cooking smoked salmon. It should be mixed in a separate bowl with some cream (pepper, chives, lemon too if liked) and added in to the egg mixture at the end to warm through.

As for scrambled eggs, lots of butter, cooked very slowly, stirred regularly. Take off the heat when still a bit runny so the residual heat cooks it to perfection. Milk is a personal preference – it gives a softer texture but less intense flavour.

big_scot_nanny

Finishing with creme fraiche and some chopped fresh chives from the garden is rather nice. Gordon Ramsay way, a bit indulgent but very good.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The only reason to add milk or water is to stretch out the eggs if you don’t have enough. They just dilute the egg and add little else. Just eggs and maybe a knob of butter. The only trick is to not overcook them. Serve them up a little wet. Dash of salt and I like a sprinkling of smoked Paprika. Key is to keep them simple in my view.

Have tried to make Korean Tornado scrambled egg. A bit of a technique to it so not mastered yet.

Oh and 3 eggs per person. Don’t be stingy with only 2.

lewisdeacon

For scrambled eggs if you season after cooking this will make it less watery (as the protein can bind at a lower temp – salt inhibits this – good for omelets not so good for scrambled egg).

So egg lightly whisked to mix, a little scrape of nutmeg, unsalted butter – cook low and slow and take off the heat and finish with residual heat in the pan – season and serve immediately

Nick

Adding milk is a throw-back to being poor and rationing, not required in these affluent times.

cb

You lot have obvioulsy run out of sausages…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Scrambled egg recipes, tell us your family secret recipes…’ is closed to new replies.