Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Scrabble
  • stevied
    Free Member

Just started playing online to pass the time and done rather well (for me) in my last game.
    High score of 384, best word – HOVERING worth 84 🙂

Tell me your tales of scrabble excellence..

Harry_the_Spider

T A W T

mudder
    Free Member

Sad confession I also like online scrabble….

Playing since Jan 1st
    Highest score 465
    Highest word 110
    89% win rate, only way is down

johnx2
    Free Member

Scored 148 once against my wife with the word RUNGLESS across two double word scores (=x4 +50 for the 7er).

She challenged me saying use in in a sentence.

Me: “the ladder was rungless…”

Her: “then it wouldn’t be a ladder, it’d be two sticks.”

Fair enough, but rungless was in the dictionary. Won that one. (I don’t win that many against her.)

The times we’ve had…

johndoh
    Free Member

Mine were ‘tine’ and ‘wan’. Not big words I know but I proved my then girlfriend wrong as she was adamant neither word was real.

Has anyone played Naughty Word Scrabble? Same rules as Scrabble but you get double the standard word score for any naughty words. Not very grown up I know, but it makes me laugh.

Cougar

Mine were ‘tine’ and ‘wan’. Not big words I know but I proved my then girlfriend wrong as she was adamant neither word was real.

Tine – prong of a fork.
    Wan – thin and pasty looking.

I wouldn’t have thought either were -that- obscure?

johndoh
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have thought either were -that- obscure?

I didn’t either but my girlfriend (university-educated, doing languages) hadn’t heard of either (which did surprise me).

wombat

Tine – River which separates Newcastle and Gateshead
    Wan – Ben Kenobi’s middle name.

😀

johndoh
    Free Member

^ LOLs

Dickyboy

Managed to get all 7 out on first go earlier this week, but only scored 78 for it 🙁 later in the same game had two blanks in my hand & position to go over 2 x treble scores but mind couldn’t bring forth any word to fit – clearly should have asked on here…

yiman
    Free Member

I usually have a few games on the go on the app on my phone. Played ~2500 games – best game score 532 – best word “unwarmed” across two triple word scores for 185.

Ioneonic

You playing on apps or Web based? Which do you recommend? I fancy giving it a try.

crazy-legs

Playing on a real board with my then partner in a hotel room, I managed to start with REQUIEM which, with the initial double word score and the 50 point bonus for using all 7 tiles, came out at 84 points.

Problem was that she didn’t know what REQUIEM meant and also objected bitterly to the 50 point bonus (having never heard of that in “her” version of the game) so it just triggered an argument. 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Tine and wan? Amateurs. Try aa, mi, jo, etc etc. My wife is a good Scrabble player, this means knowing all the obscure two letter combinations that are listed in the official Scrabble dictionary. I’m not sure how sporting it is really. The key to the game isn’t finding 7 letter slams, it’s making two or three words each time, and scoring 20-35 points every go. Frustrating.

I prefer Upwords where it’s easier to score big by being very creative with single words rather than stacking the short ones.

alpin
    Free Member

Aged 19 I trotted off to Oz with my backpack for a year.

Whilst there I met up with a lady who turned out to be an English teacher, 36 years old who had split with her fella and wanted some time away.

We ended up going on a three week hike along the Bibbulmun trail.

At the end of the walk we checked into a hostel. There they had Scrabble. Sat there one night with a bottle of red. Was neck-a-neck, the bag was empty. I played OX on the right of the board, covering the triple word score. And I won!

I cried when she got on a bus to go back to Perth.

Those three weeks were life changing for many reasons.

johndoh
    Free Member

^^^ you got OX when all you wanted was OXO?

Kuco

I work with a lady who’s partner was the 2013 UK Scrabble champion.

martinhutch

she didn’t know what REQUIEM meant

Was it the death knell for you relationship?

molgrips
    Free Member

Alpin that is a perfect story in a single post. Love it and I feel for your younger self.

kayla1
    Free Member

No idea what mine is, but my sister once hammered me by sticking ‘frenzy’ in across the bottom middle triple word with the ‘z’ on the double letter. She’s annoyingly good at Connect 4 as well.

Harry_the_Spider

Alpin, that would make a great movie.

Who would you cast as the teacher?

zippykona

Are you using a proper Scrabble app. I’m on words with friends.

binners

I always have about 10 games on the go with various people on Words with Friends. Mrs Binners regularly tonks me with 100+ words involving J’s, Q’s and Z’s on triple word scores

mudder
    Free Member

Yep, App Words with Friends2

RobHilton
    Free Member

I opened with ‘zion’ once, only to be told I couldn’t as it’s a proper noun (old school rules), and it would have to be ‘zionist’.

Just so happens the required letters were in my possession – opponent was miffed! 🤗 🤗

Only time I’ve ever enjoyed a game as I’m crap at it

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Scrabble’ is closed to new replies.