• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Scousers of the forum… how do you feel about being taken over by the Tories?
  • binners

I can see this going well.

I did think that it was somewhat ironic that corrupt chinless tax-dodger Robert Jenrick was levelling accusations of dodgy property deals at Liverpool council

Is he just trolling Merseyside, in conjunction with his boss, who’s been doing it for years?

kimbers

My wife is just embarrassed

duncancallum

It’s alright we’ve already got a persecution and victim complex according to boris

Anyway I’m from west Lancashire 😛

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Steve Reed, the shadow communities and local government secretary, said he accepted the report in full and said Labour supported the government’s plan to reform the council.

He said the report had raised “grave and serious concerns” and “severe institutional weaknesses” at the Labour-run authority.

Kim Johnson, the Labour MP for Liverpool Riverside, said the city deserved a well-run council with “stronger, more transparent governance procedures”.

She added: “I’m a very proud scouser but listening to the secretary of state read the contents of the very damning report makes me angry, as it will the whole city when the report is made public.”

Looks like labour aren’t trying to defend the indefensible

scotroutes

What does Sir Keith have to say on it?

HahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahahaHahaha

binners

I had the eye-opening experience of doing some freelance work for Liverpool City Council back around the time of the Capital of Culture bid.

It was like a sit-com written by Ian Hislop making reference to every single ‘rotten boroughs’ story in Private Eye and confirming every single Daily Mail horror story about ‘lefty’ councils. 😂

voodoo_chile

Be interesting to see how it goes

binners

I think we can all guess how it’s going to go.

I can’t imagine a greater clash of cultures than Liverpool city council and this present batch of Tory’s. If we ignore the fact that they’re all as bent a each other, obviously. I think that’s the only trait they share

The hyper-confrontational grandstanding is bound to break out soon enough

kelvin

Well, you can see why Labour outside Liverpool stepped in with the selection process for the Mayoral election. The locally favoured candidates could all be implicated in this.

binners

Yip, guess who was one of those arrested for the dodgy dealing?

Well, who’d have thunk it?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I can’t imagine a greater clash of cultures than Liverpool city council and this present batch of Tory’s. If we ignore the fact that they’re all as bent a each other, obviously. I think that’s the only trait they share

They are sending in civil servants by the sound of it

binners

And you think that’ll stop the political posturing?

Murray

New season of G.B.H.?

binners

That’s worth another viewing, actually. It was brilliant

weeksy

When I left Liverpool I’d never voted, I was only 25 at the time. Now I’m 49 I still speak with a Scouse accent and will always be a Scouser, but regarding this, I simply don’t care.

maccruiskeen

They are sending in civil servants by the sound of it

We still have those do we? This isn’t just something one of Dominic Cummings’ friends can do.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

We still have those do we? This isn’t just something one of Dominic Cummings’ friends can do.

As you well know we have lots of civil servants, they are disproportionately located in the SE

They may end up to be a mix of ex Local Authority senior management operating as consultants mixed in with civil servants. I imagine they will be bound by lots of rules and the transparency requirements will be quite high. There is probably a whole manual on what they can and can’t do

At the end of the day what was the alternative?

MrOvershoot

Well having worked in Liverpool for the last 26 years.
    I think its fairly common knowledge here that most of the council run projects were not about left wing politics or serving the people.
    Its been a pure money grab mostly on the dodgiest property deals imaginable.

andy8442
    Free Member

It’s not just Liverpool council, Leeds City council have made some “interesting” decisions over the last few decades.

BigJohn

Two of my riding mates are senior guys in the highways maintenance business. We were talking about Liverpool last Sunday and they both told tales of when managers were sent on their first assignments there and needed a major reset on “how things worked”.

doris5000

a mate once got a contract job for Rochdale council. Early on, he saw some workers digging up a main road in the town centre.

On arriving in the office and discovering that they didn’t have permission, he set about finding who to report it to. After meeting a gigantic wall of ‘Not My Problem’ he ended up getting a hi viz and heading down there himself and asking them to stop it.

He was about 23, one of the most junior people there, and he wasn’t even a council employee, but he was the only one who could be arsed 😆

Marin
    Free Member

It’s great the city may no longer be sold off to Chinese investors, the Mayor may not be given houses by the UK’s biggest developers to grant planning permission and the rest of the country can carry on pretending we have the only corrupt council and major construction companies are only bent in Liverpool. Still at least we’re not Mancunians.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Scousers of the forum… how do you feel about being taken over by the Tories?’ is closed to new replies.