Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Scottish tennis fail
  • grumm
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8242435.stm

Oh but wait, it refers to him as British still…. 😛

trailmonkey

shame eh ? *sniggers*

GrahamS

Oh but wait, it refers to him as British still..

Erm… no it doesn't.

"The second set was a disaster for the Scot"

The only reference to "British" is "British number one", which he is – but that is "the number one in Britain", not "a number one from Britain" – a subtle but important distinction. (cf. the phrase "World number one")

The biased association is clear in the pairing of the words:
    Scot=disaster, British=number one.

😉

davidrussell
    Free Member

I wish i'd seen it when he was Britain's number two, always thought he was a wee shite 🙂

Fnar Fnar

uplink
    Free Member

As Graham said – The biased association is clear in the pairing of the words 😉

Same Scottish paper, same journo

British Driver wins F1 race

English Driver loses F1 race

scotia
    Free Member

Nice to see all the typical english/scottish rivalry going on in STW…

well done grumm

When will the brits learn to take defeat and victory as part and parcel of life as a sportsman/woman and continue to give support whatever the result?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Never mind – he will be a great british sporting hero when he wins a major.

aracer
    Free Member

When will the brits learn to take defeat and victory as part and parcel of life as a sportsman/woman and continue to give support whatever the result?

You're suggesting I should support somebody just because I happen to have been born in a country next door to the one he was born in?

trailmonkey

Never mind – he will be a great british sporting hero when he wins a major

No he won't. He'll always be a Scot and he'll never win a major.

greyman
    Free Member

grand slams innit ? majors are for golfists

i hope he does – don't really think he's world no 2 though

scotia
    Free Member

aracer. He is Scottish, but also British. If you grow up a little bit then you might be able to appreciate that its better for our sportsmen/women to be supported rather than accused of 'failing' (another typical STW funny).

No?

(and yes im scottish, but i support all athletes Scottish, English, Welsh or Irish for that matter)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And once again the little englanders show the chips on their shoulders? Tired of being subsidy junkies yet?

. 😉

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Scottish, destined to win several slams and unlike some of the miserable sods on this thread – laughing all the way to the bank. Yup, life must be very tough being Andy Murray…

mt
    Free Member

scotia – with you on the comments. Always support the Irish, Welsh, Scots and English. I'm English with Scots, Welsh family so think it's the right thing to support the extended family and not get stuck in the retarded thinking of the past it just holds us back. Like most of the people of the British Isles we are a mongrel race.

Murray is good and should be supported in the same way that Henman should have been supported. Don't need to agree with what he says at times but they is giving it his best.

trailmonkey

And once again the little englanders …………………

So I'm a little englander if i want to see a scot fail at sport but a scot wishing and englishman to fail is a patriot i guess ?

insiduous racism anyone ?
    😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If the hat fits wear it Trailmonkey

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well i never want to see the Scots or Welsh rugby teams win whoever they are playing – i always support the Lions though.

Confused?

Tennis is crap.

trailmonkey

If the hat fits wear it Trailmonkey

The way I see it,calling someone a little englander is making generalising remarks towards someone, concerning a nation or race. As far as I'm aware, a little Englander is someone from England who holds a narrow world view and revels in some idealic notion of a world gone by. In other words a stereotype and clearly racist. Would you expect to get away with calling me a thick Mick if I was Irish ? I hope not. If you can point out any racism in any of my posts,I'd be happy to be made aware of it. I suspect that I won't get an answer though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Trailmonkey – far be it right for me to say "lighten up" but really.

Its a sterotype yes but not racist IMO. I have not seen you being racist ( but I might have missed it 😉 )

My post was intended in the same trolling / lighthearted way as the whole thread. everytime Murray is mentioned those with a chip on their shoulder about the scots come out sneering. Hence " if the cap fits wear it" If it doesn't then reject it. You took it at an insult against you – it was a general sneer at those who have a chip on their shoulder about the Scots and the narrow worldview you describe. If thats not you then the hat don't fit!

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Hmm, I see the plastic jock is taking over yet another thread.

GrahamS

"plastic jock"? Are suggesting that he can't be a RealScot ™ because he is actually quite good at something?

trailmonkey

*lightens up*

Just out of interest, how is it stereotypical but not racist ?

kevonakona
    Free Member

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Plastic Jock refers to me I think as several people on here assumed I am a scot when I am a brit of English descent and have never pretended otherwise

Trailmonkey – because little englander is a sterotype of some of the English – not all. Therefore its being nasty about some of the English but not all of them.

grumm
    Free Member

intended in the same trolling / lighthearted way as the whole thread.

Correct. 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

Oh how we love to hate success in this country.

Hopefully he retire become a "has been" and we can take him to our hearts!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Scottish tennis fail’ is closed to new replies.