Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Scottish Skiing/Boarding advice
  • whytetrash

Ok looking to sort a lads trip up in a few weeks probably to Aviemore/Cairngorm, any accomodation recommendations, YHA/Bunkhouse type would be fine, been a few years since I was last up there how do the other Scottish Ski areas compare?…only concern is Cairngorm seems to close with little provocation…all advice appreciated thanks folks

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Start here

http://www.winterhighland.info

Then link out to 'resort' websites. Also look at their forum posts and reports.
    Paul

whytetrash

Cheers fella

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Take waterproofs. That's the only advice you need for skiing in Scotland 🙂

WackoAK
    Free Member

All 5 centres are open at present with the east coast centres having the best conditions. I was at Glenshee on saturday and the conditions were fantastic – look on winterhighland in the "public reports" section to see pictures of the run at Glas Maol.

I was also at Glencoe on Friday and while not as good snow conditions as Glenshee it was still very good.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

There's a snow dog ralley at Aviemore the 22nd-25th Jan so you might want to avoid there if big dogs that will want to chase you aren't really your thing.

I booked my challet in March and was told I was cutting it fine then, so accomodation might be a bit iffy that weekend too in the imediate vicinity.

Last thing I heard though was that it might not be on as the carpark was under 4ft of snow last weekend.

whytetrash

Thanks guys…been a bit put off Cairngorm because of all the access issues,how bad can it get? whats Glencoe like for apresboard?…know Aviemore is lively enough!

WackoAK
    Free Member

There's the Kings HGouse Hotel near Glencoe for Apresboard but that's about it.

If it's an issue then the Nevis Range is probabaly another option as you'll have all the pubs in Fort William to choose from. Seeing as you are a boarder then Nevis Range also has a 4 man chairlift which is easier than using the drag lifts all the time.

2tyred

Cairngorm on Saturday sounded a nightmare – heard tales of people sitting in queues by Loch Morlich for 3 hours while the road was ploughed, then queues at the lifts taking 45 mins and the funicular not running. That would have driven me insane.

Re closing, IME Cairngorm and Nevis are more affected by the wind than the others, this is the most common reason for short-notice closure, but I think there have been issues with clearing the ski road at Cairngorm in the past week.

I had a fabulous day at Glencoe yesterday – great snow (although not on a par with the east right now), no queues, nice atmosphere, cheery staff as always, and nothing broke down. Some of my favourite powder spots were loaded, the weather was good, rode the full vertical, what's not to like?

OP – if you're heading up during the week and the conditions are best in the east, go there; if its the weekend, go west. Having said that, they're not that far apart really.

Can't really help with accommodation I'm afraid, although the Strathfillan wigwams are good for easy access to Glencoe.

For apreswhatever you need Nevis or Aviemore, not a lot on offer at the others.

the_lecht_rocks

the lecht was awesome on sunday. off piste from the buzzard was up to my waist deep in sections 😀

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Cairngorm was fun once we got there on saturday.

Waiting by Loch Morlich wasn't too bad, walk to cafe, get bacon rolls, watch red squirrels, chat to random skiers.

If Glencoe has decent snow i'd rather ride there than anywhere else in scotland, apart from over the back at Nevis.

the_lecht_rocks

slw – wow – looks STUNNING. where's that powder stash ?

dab

glenshee for the following reasons

great variety
    cheaper ticket
    no silly choo choo
    plows that don't break down
    cheaper food

friendly lifties

carbon337
    Free Member

An attempt at Glenshee tomorrow – 3.5 hrs each way – if it goes tits up I will end up at Glasgow Xscape.

aviemoron
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks, jumping in front of slw, that's the east wall of the lady way down the home road, it's been awesome these last few weeks. Advice for Cairngorms at weekends – in a word – don't, and that's as a local!

jemima
    Free Member

I'd struggle booking a trip to any particular scottish ski centre a number of weeks in advance. I know its not much help if you don't live nearby but I tend to go with only a couple of days notice. That way you can go where the snow is. Even with all this snow just now there's no guarantee that conditions will be good on cairngorm in a few weeks time…

Having said that over the last few years I've had good days out at all the Scottish centres and some of those good days were truly excellent! Just need to pick when to go… and as aviemoron says avoid cairngorm at the weekend. Also agree that the east wall of the Lady has been awesome 🙂

Looking at the pictures above I'm wishing I went to the Lecht at the weekend instead of cairngorm. Turned around at 1030 after sitting in a queue for 2 hours. Went for bike ride instead.

footflaps

Cairngorm – 3 min down, 45 min queue up…

whytetrash

Thanks all…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Scottish Skiing/Boarding advice’ is closed to new replies.