• This topic has 52 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by sgn23.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Scottish Power want to install a Smart Meter – do I have to have one?
  • the-muffin-man

I’m fine with my old meters. I know what my bills are. A smart meter is of no benefit to me, and I don’t want to go around the house in a paranoid state switching everything off.

So can I refuse?

And would one tie me to Scottish Power.

cinnamon_girl
    Drac

Why would you change what you do now with a different meter?

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

What a ridiculous mindset, you don’t have to stare at the smart metre. What I love about it is that its constantly telling my supplier the readings so the bills are accurate and you don’t get a silly credit/debit amount on your account.

Hasn’t changed my habits at all.

Embrace technology you stiff.

cinnamon_girl

What a charmer. ^

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Every house will have to have one by 2020.
    Arqiva are rolling out a Huge network as we speak just for this.

andyl
    Free Member

Hopefully they will make most people realise just how much electricity leaving stuff on standby uses and actually turn them off and kick them into choosing more efficient appliances.

cranberry
    Free Member

and I don’t want to go around the house in a paranoid state switching everything off.

You really don’t want to know what energy you are using and if you could use less ??

That Stop smart meters website is either really funny, or really sad, I’m not sure which. Though maybe I could tell if the wifis weren’t being mean to me.

I’m off to knit myself a pair of tinfoil underpants.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Ease of billing is the best reason for getting one. Personally I can’t be bothered contorting myself into position under the stairs to check my usage and it’s a PITA when the meter reader comes round.

footflaps

and I don’t want to go around the house in a paranoid state switching everything off.

Simple solution to this, just don’t do it.

cornholio98
    Free Member

The one I have can break down the time to a point I can see the result of putting the kettle on when I get up..

Has it stopped me using the kettle? No..

Have I got bored and tried to work out how little energy I can use in a month resulting in some sitting in the dark? Maybe

The end result for me is I can see what times I use energy and then I could use this to save money by getting a different plan. I am too lazy to do this so the only end result is my bill is accurate.

zippykona

Scottish power’s ability to **** up even the simplest thing would put me off having them in my house.

trail_rat
    Free Member

they told me they would give me a date sometime within 6 weeks that they would come and fit mine – and then within that 6 weeks they would give me a weeks notice.

I told them to call me when they could do weekends or give me a days notice as i dont know what country ill be in, in a weeks time

they never called back – that was 2 years ago.

the-muffin-man

You really don’t want to know what energy you are using and if you could use less ??

I love peeing money up the wall on electric and gas – and when I’m feeling really wasteful I put the oven on as high as it can go and leave the door open for a couple of hours.

In a proper response – if I find out my kettle is inefficient do I dump it and buy a new one that’s 5% better? Which is more wasteful. I already look for the best energy rating-v-value when I have to buy new stuff when the old stuff breaks.

I don’t waste electric, energy saving bulbs everywhere, new combi boiler, plenty of insulation etc.

Cougar

See, I understand this train of thought if you’re unmetered (cf. water rates), but power is already metered. Even assuming that you don’t care how much you / don’t use, nothing’s changed to your billing has it?

cornholio98
    Free Member

A different question might be… How much are you prepared to pay for someone to read your meter? If the power company gets to the point where a small number of people have standard meters then the cost per reading might start to look high then they might look to pass this on to the customer.

konabunny
    Free Member

op: why would your behaviour change if you got a smart meter?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Every house will have to have one by 2020.

No hope of that being achieved
    There is no standard for smart meters (they’ve just started working on an outline I believe) and most energy suppliers have their own which will not work with another supplier if you swap so they’re fairly pointless.
    There are big concerns [from GCHQ] about the current ‘smart’ meters’ vulnerability to being hacked.
    They are only of benefit to the supplier, there’s nothing in it for you as a user.
    If you have PV you probably don’t want one.

The one I have can break down the time to a point I can see the result of putting the kettle on

Well yes it would because you’ve just added 2-3kw of demand to your existing load.
    TBH no-one needs a smart meter – when you switch the lights/tv/computer/kettle/oven on you’re using electricity. Surely you know when you’ve switched something on?

mrsfry
    Free Member
    nemesis
    Free Member

If you get one with, say Scottish Power, if you want to change to someone else when your contact ends are there any issues? I seem to recall that there was the potential for it but maybe that’s not reality.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It’s the potential privacy implications I’d be worried about. Do I really want a private company with no economic insensitive to keep my data private or secure storing that level of data? To the point where anyone with that data can see when I’m at home? Asleep? In the Bath?

The main driver as far as I can see it for smart meters are the energy companies would much rather have us pay for power in much smaller chunks rather than day/night rates. This would better reflect how they pay for their power and increase their profits. The knock on effect of people using less power at peak times to save money is just a nice by product.

richmars

Will these ‘smart meters’ tell me how much oil I’m burning to warm my house?
    Not so smart then.

Cougar

Do I really want a private company with no economic insensitive to keep my data private or secure storing that level of data?

What level of data? Your energy usage?

Really?

sharkbait
    Free Member

if you want to change to someone else when your contact ends are there any issues?

Quite possibly because there’s not a standard, so very likely a SP meter will not work for EDF (for example).
    So then the new supplier will have to send someone else out to install another meter – of course you’ll need to be in so they can fit it.

I’d wait a few years.

dufusdip
    Free Member

That’s the problem with this place. The OP gets so much flack and derision for asking a reaonable question rather than just an answer.

Not exactly encouraging community spirit.

scotroutes

whatnobeer – Member
    It’s the potential privacy implications I’d be worried about. Do I really want a private company with no economic insensitive to keep my data private or secure storing that level of data? To the point where anyone with that data can see when I’m at home? Asleep? In the Bath?

That has to be troll of the week.

jam-bo

Will these ‘smart meters’ tell me how much oil I’m burning to warm my house?
    Not so smart then.

You could tell you how much electricity an oil pump was using and from that you could work out how much oil was being pumped to a boiler.

But that’s not really the answer you wanted is it…

richmars

You could tell you how much electricity an oil pump was using

It doesn’t use an electric fuel pump. So that wouldn’t work. Even if it had an electric pump, the flow rate from the pump wouldn’t be constant so any figure of oil use would be very inaccurate.

I’m not against smart meters, just the lack of foresight that means what’s being offered isn’t useful to 1000’s of people.

project
    Free Member

when you use a phone or internet all yourdetails are being logged same with using any loyalty card or cash or credit card, youre being monitored, and we all know where you shop and who you phone, or at least some of do…………..

skids
    Free Member

If you get one with, say Scottish Power, if you want to change to someone else when your contact ends are there any issues? I seem to recall that there was the potential for it but maybe that’s not reality

You can still switch suppliers, they just use the meter old style.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’d refuse ATM as the current technology doesn’t link to smartphones and will be redundant for the customer within 5 years

br
    Free Member

Scottish power’s ability to **** up even the simplest thing would put me off having them in my house.

Oh yes.

Was on the phone twice with them yesterday, first one was for over an hour. Had to call a second time as their engineer didn’t turn up. Got £30 for that plus found out that the guy hadn’t recorded anything we’d discussed earlier (billing issues). So the second lady raised a complaint for me.

I wouldn’t normally bother, but we’d settled our outstandings (£900) as they’d screwed up the DD (for the past two years). And now they are saying we still owed them £500!

nemesis
    Free Member

SP overcharged us almost a grand when they screwed up a meter reading. Took three months to get it back. Good job we had the cash to cover it 👿

ChrisL

sharkbait – Member

No hope of that being achieved

There is no standard for smart meters (they’ve just started working on an outline I believe) and most energy suppliers have their own which will not work with another supplier if you swap so they’re fairly pointless.

There are at least two standards for smart meters in the UK (SMETS 1 and SMETS 2), actually, and several for other regions too. But in my experience meter manufacturers have been completely unprepared for the not-so-sudden arrival of new technological demands on their industry and are close to incapable of developing smart meters in a competent and timely manner.

Xylene
    Free Member

I’d refuse ATM

My wife did when I suggested it too.

squirrelking
    Free Member

If it’s the same arsehole who came to install a DP switch onto my mains connection I don’t expect the Largs rollout to be complete until well into the next century.

SP can go whistle, they installed a new meter a few years ago and there it shall stay until such time as a proper standard has been ratified and said fitter replaced by someone who actually wants to work for a living. I already have a clamp meter that I don’t use which tells me my consumption levels.

What level of data? Your energy usage?

Really?

I’d imagine the energy usage along with time stamps would provide a very useful indicator of house occupation. Makes casing targets a doddle when you can scope out dozens of unsecured meters from your bedroom.

Not that I’m saying this is necessarily the case but when it comes to smart tech I’d say a meter is even less likely to recieve security firmware updates than a new car which has to visit the dealers at regular intervals. How many routers have you had that ISP’s have updated? How many security holes are there in using the standard generated passcodes and ID’s?

People will hack anything; some for good (who want to make apps for home automation and such), some for bad (who want to sell back door access). It’s a fact of life.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

The levels of paranoia being reached on this thread are really quite something!

Drac

You’re talking about me aren’t you?

popstar
    Free Member

I would like to know what time you sleep and do bad things. Car keys are very popular snatch these days, so are pctablets, jewelry etc.

Onzadog
    Free Member

POSTED 9 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST
    Quirrel – Member
    I’d refuse ATM
    My wife did when I suggested it too.

MAS.

On a serious note, I’d simply not bother as they’ve yet to decide what to actually record and who to give access to. As the metering company has nothing to do with distribution in most cases, last I heard, nothing would be passed to them.

However, knowing which phase you’re on, what load you’re going sling and what you’re volts are would be massively helpful in locating faults and restoring supplies more quickly. Now that would be of real benefit to the end user.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Scottish Power want to install a Smart Meter – do I have to have one?’ is closed to new replies.