Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Scottish mountain that keeps on giving
  • fergal
    Free Member

Is there such a thing, a descent you will go back to time after time, inspiration please, got to take advantage of this great weather.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Dunno about on a bike, but I’ve been up Buachaille Etive Mor around 500 times. 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dunno about on a bike, but I’ve been up Buachaille Etive Mor around 500 times.

How many?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Yip – around 500 times. To be fair I spent most of a year working on the thing.

slowoldman

Wow, you built it?

MrSmith
    Free Member

That grass doesn’t cut itself

wanmankylung
    Free Member

The path didn’t built itself.

fergal
    Free Member

The Buchaille is overated, once was enough :D.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The path didn’t built itself.

There’s a path??
    Where’s that then?

helpful1
    Free Member

I’ve done way more than 500 runs down Ft william WC DH track… Nevis range made sure it’s a mountain that keeps on taking.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Goes from the bottom to the top and back down again. Absolutely world class bit of path. Get’s a bit dusty at times and it was a couple of mountain bikers who built it. 😉

fergal
    Free Member

I’ve climbed Ben Nevis over 600 hundred times, that was under snow and ice though, wouldn’t want to ride my bike down it.

PS looks like i’m heading to the Lakes again, really can’t think of anywhere that inspires me north of the border.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Take your bike up and down the Cobbler, up and down Ben Ime and playing around on the trails around those hills makes for a great day out.

Failing that head up Stob Ghabhar, traverse the Blackmount, descend Glencoe Ski Centre and ride back to the start along the WHW.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve done Binnein Mor twice recently and dying to do it again, and again, and again 🙂 Mainly from the Lochan down to the Loch, but the bit from the unnamed peak to the lochan, with perhaps a walk down the steepest bits of the switchbacks, is also great.

Kunstler

I did the descent around Coire an Lochan coming back from Ben Macdui on Saturday. Yesterday I took the train up to Aviemore again and was toying with doing it again though didn’t in the end (for several reasons). I reckon it’s a bit of a classic.

somafunk

All in S-W Scotland and i use the term “mountain” loosely so don’t get all heightist on me – we make do with what we haveI

I must have rode Screel hill nr Auchencairn at least 500 times since the very early 90’s, we practically used to live on that hill back in the day when it was all 2″ of elastomer damped travel and onza rim brakes/smoke n’ dart tyres etc…etc.

Cycle up the fire road, climb up to the cairn and ride across the plateau to the opposite side then drop down the very rooty n’ steep descent and ride back up to do it again…and again…and again.

The Cairnsmore of Fleet is another good one, easily rode that 100+ times as i used to go a quick spin up it on my way back from riding at kirroughtree.

And finally the Merrick, more than 50 times up/down that one but most probably under 100.

PS : I was in the position to be able to ride my bike rather than work for pretty much all of the 90’s and up to 2006 ish so i did a helluva lot of riding 😉

mactheknife

Its gotta Ben Lomond for me, a fair old hike up but the descent is about 95% rideable and it s bluudy brilliant.

billyboy
    Free Member

wanmankylung

I’ve never been up Buachaille Etive Mor, but I have always thought it is one of the most imposing hills I’ve ever seen.

Well done for building it.

billyboy
    Free Member

The descent down to Annat from (Bealach na Lice-maybe-can’t be arsed to look it up) the top, on the Coulags to Annat route takes some beating.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It was a tough gig right enough. 😉

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Is there such a thing, a descent you will go back to time after time<

Err no quite frankly. Far too busy exploring those I haven’t done.

And who overrates the Buchaille as an mtb descent? It’s not even on the radar of 99.999% of the riding population.

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve climbed Ben Nevis over 600 hundred times

Curious, is that an estimate or a real figure?

I assume you’re an ML or above living in the Fort?

fergal
    Free Member

jeeze the Buchaille comment was sarcasam and not on a bike, the buchaille is one of my favourite peaks, i’m a climber.

Lived climbed and guided around Fort William for over a decade, the six hundred figure was just a flippant remark, top trumping 500 hundred ascents of the Buchaille, probably more around the two hundred mark in reality.

Ended up riding local in the end.

theblackmount
    Free Member

**** me, that sounds boring.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I was a Ranger, did a lot of path building and would often go bak up for a run after dinner. Those were the days.

If you should feel inclined to support the people who are doing that job now you can donate here:

http://www.footpathfund.org.uk/the-footpath-fund/

chickenman

Fergal, were you not once upon a time “The Shark”?
    I would go and ride the White Mile which is a mile long descent on top quality quartzite somewhere in Wester Ross.
    Rick

fergal
    Free Member

Have you soloed psychedelic wall, quite invigorating really.

*** me this thread is boring, cheers for the input.

PS. chickenman brilliant, you have restored my faith in humanity.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Only 1400 feet so not even half munro but i ride dumyat 20 to 30 times a year. It changes every time and there are fast lines. Tech lines and big bollz lines!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

That looks amazing.

sirromj

Tell you what, come spend a few years living in East Kent, mountain biking, and on return to Scotland I practically guarantee all the mountains will just keep on giving. You’re either spoilt or doing something wrong or both.

scotroutes

Ah. Never been there with a bike but often wondered about it 😆

Sanny
    Free Member

Chickenman / Scotroutes.

What mountain is that? It looks terrific!

Re the Buachaille. I’ve ridden it and genuinely enjoyed it. I had no real expectations but came back grinning. Not a ride to be taken lightly though! The descent into Glen Etive on the grass was a hoot although I can’t help but wish we had Swiss trail builders cutting in tight switchback descents as opposed to stone pitched steps on a lot of mountains that tend towards the fall line. The switchbacks on Binnean Mor are a good example of what could be done. I agree with Dan re Binnean Mor. It really is very good indeed!

Cheers

Sanny

scotroutes

Sanny – you should have a FB message

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member
    onehundredthidiot

I’m off up the three brethren again this pm. The trailbuilders do a great job. Pity event organizers go for the enhanced trail evolution school of thought.

13thfloormonk

Chickenman/Scotroutes/JeffCapeShop

Thanks muchly, that little gem just inspired some furious route planning on Walkhighlands and now I have a brilliant scrambly wee 4 day alternative to the classic Fisherfield 6 😀

God knows when I’ll actually be able to head up there and do it of course, will just add it to the ‘Routes’ folder for now…

Kunstler

Thanks muchly, that little gem just inspired some furious route planning on Walkhighlands and now I have a brilliant scrambly wee 4 day alternative to the classic Fisherfield 6

God knows when I’ll actually be able to head up there and do it of course, will just add it to the ‘Routes’ folder for now…

Yep, me as well. Though having had an epic saunter from Carnmore side a few years back I might look at the white mile as a route of ascent as well.

Northwind

Who needs a mountain when you’ve got a priesthope hill?

chickenman

So the route was ridden as a clockwise loop returning back up the Destitution Road. There is about a km of boggy stuff on the way in (a good idea not to ride this bit and piss off the walkers with huge holes in the peat)and a bit more pushing to gain the start of the slabs. Push up useful as some intricate lines are needed unless you’re happy riding drops with complex landings. There is a large overlap near the bottom that I didn’t ride. Angle 25deg at base with a short bit of 30deg; higher up less steep. Definitely not worth taking the bike above the 800m contour though. Not really a scramble 13FM as hands can remain in pockets (unless pushing a pushbike of course).

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Scottish mountain that keeps on giving’ is closed to new replies.