Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Scottish Land Reform
  • gordimhor

Surely the first step is to find out who owns rhe land and create a register then we can deal appropriately with good or bad landlords be they private individual,global multinational corporation,quango ,or conservation organization such as RSPB. Sangobegger has a very good point on those

seosamh77
    Free Member

Kit – Member
    Before we get people on about land owners not being wealthy
    Well there’s little point, since a few of us have already pointed out that land is not that profitable, yet those with the chips on their shoulders won’t listen.

If all your wealth is tied up in land, then you’re not rich until you sell it…at which point you’re no longer a landowner but you’ll no longer be skint! problem solved! 😀 or atleast passed on to someone else.

I don’t don’t really have a great opinion on land reform tbh, neither am I frothing at the mouth looking to get one over on landowners(tbh having free access is all I need, so I don’t have any motivation to look into it further).

I just don’t think we should be subsidising land ownership. Tbh if we stopped that, that’s probably the best port of call before bringing in laws. Let the market have a go a splitting up the estates firstly, see what happens.

epicyclo

seosamh77 – Member
    …I just don’t think we should be subsidising land ownership. Tbh if we stopped that, that’s probably the best port of call before bringing in laws. Let the market have a go a splitting up the estates firstly, see what happens.

My instincts are that we should burn down the big houses with the occupants in them, perhaps with the help of the police and army, take possession of all their moveable assets at rapacious and knock down prices, and send any remaining landlords for a long ride on a leaky cholera ridden slow boat to a developing country.

But that wouldn’t be very nice, so what seosamh77 says. 🙂

gordimhor

Epiccyclo What have you got against developing countries? 🙂

bigjim

Surely the first step is to find out who owns rhe land

It’s a very expensive and time consuming process, even over small areas for example the Borders railway route being the case I have experience of, establishing ownership and resolving boundary disputes costs a phenomenal amount of money and time. I’d say it wouldn’t actually be possible to do for the whole country.

Kit
    Free Member

My instincts are that we should burn down the big houses…perhaps with the help of the police and army

Way ahead of you fella. Our family Big Hoose was blown up by the TA back in 1954 on a training exercise. Moved the nicer bits of furniture into the farmhouse and flogged the rest!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/uUiAwA]Dormont Blow up 03[/url] by Kit Carruthers, on Flickr

ninfan
    Free Member

I just don’t think we should be subsidising land ownership. Tbh if we stopped that, that’s probably the best port of call before bringing in laws.

The thing there is that the subsidy is largely because of the constant political whims telling them what they can and can’t do with their land –
    ‘rear more sheep’ says the government,
    ten years down the line it’s ‘there are too many sheep, get rid of them and plant trees’
    ‘stop planting trees’
    ‘Save the capercaillie’
    ‘Plant windfarms’
    ‘Fix carbon’
    ‘Grow trees again, but different ones’
    Etc.

epicyclo

Kit – Member
    My instincts are that we should burn down the big houses…perhaps with the help of the police and army
    Way ahead of you fella. Our family Big Hoose was blown up by the TA back in 1954 on a training exercise….

Seeing as your lot inspired Scott to write Guy Mannering, we’ll spare you the leaky boat trip then. 🙂

That’s a nice bit of history to have in the family.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Fair point ninfan, like i say i’ve not given it alot of thought, not really high on my list of priorities tbh. Not like further land reform is going to do much for me anyhow!

**toddles off to check and see if the irish government hands out any subsides on a few acres of bog in donegal!**** 😆

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Scottish Land Reform’ is closed to new replies.