Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Scottish Island for a holiday – where’s best?
  • stox
    Free Member

We are due a holiday! The wife would like a cottage on one of the Scottish islands. Sounds a good idea to me. I’m thinking inner Hebrides (not Skye).

Need somewhere for 2 adults, 2 young kids. 2 dogs.
    Relaxing. Quiet-Ish. Nice beaches. Early August.

Where should we be looking?
    Will we need to remortgage?! 🙂

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Mull but you probably should have booked last year (same for all the islands) unless you’re camping.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Arran …

CraigW
    Free Member

Tiree. Plenty of great beaches, and nice quiet roads for cycling. Also surfing, kitesurfing, kayaking etc.

dovebiker

Arran too busy if you want tranquility. If going to Mull – Calgary Bay or Fionnphort for the best beaches. Uist or Harris is you want the best beaches, but little else.

mactheknife

Tiree, absolutely love that place. Book early though. Also no wild camping allowed.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Raasay?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’d say Mull too. We stayed here

http://www.glengormcastle.co.uk/?post_selfcatering=lephin-cottage

Nice wee cottage,10 mins to Tobermory and not far from Calgary. Not sure about dogs though.

b1galus
    Free Member

go to Coll it will not be disappointing

tiggs121
    Free Member

Colonsay – quiet but everything you’ll need. Great beaches, friendly people, some nice wee hills to climb and some decent biking.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Tiree fan here. Awesome wee island

crankboy
    Free Member

Not an island but you need a ferry to get there and is isolated Ardnamurchan.

sweepy
    Free Member

We’ve had a few brilliant holidays on Muck, but do your research, it’s not for everyone.

ton

colonsay is awesome.
    kiloran bay is heaven for swimming.
    the cafe at the ferry point is super for breakfast and evening meals. the hotel is ok for food.
    love the place.

scotroutes

I know you said Inner Hebrides but stretch it to North Uist.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I know you said Inner Hebrides but stretch it to North Uist.

Or South Uist, both are fantabulous.

However….wev’e been twice to Islay & WILL be going again.

Went here last time… http://www.ileach.co.uk/ballimony/

& here the 1st time, both excellent…. http://blackparkislay.co.uk/

newrobdob
    Free Member

Mull is flipping amazing. We can’t wait to go back. Everywhere there is quiet and relaxing, even in the centre of the main town there. Great for walking/beaches/cycling for all abilities. Can’t wait to go back.

My wife and I booked a cottage 3 weeks before we went in September, got a big amount of money off because it was last minute. Might not be as easy in school hols but book now and you should be ok.

Tip – don’t get the ferry from Oban , drive all the way round to another ferry at Lochaline – you have to book a ferry at Oban which means you have to be on the clock all the way up there so you don’t miss it. No booking on the ferry at Lochaline and you can have a lovely drive there through Glen Coe and around to th peninsula via another little ferry – it makes the journey interesting as well as the destination.

The only recommendation I’d have for where to stay is stick to the north end of the island, there’s a bit more to do at the north end – you might go to Iona one day but I wouldn’t stay near there as there is less at that end and it takes a LONG time to drive across the island! There’s lots of circular cycle route options for all abilities on the northern end too.

To show you how beautiful and dramatic Mull can be, we went on a bike ride and ride round a headland to see a view of a bay – my wife and I have seen amazing sights around the world (Grand Canyon, NYC, all over Britain) but this is the only time she openly wept at the beauty we saw that day on Mull.

km79
    Free Member

No love for Millport?

geologist
    Free Member

We are going to Islay for the second time. That says a lot , I’ve been to every major island in the inner and outer Hebrides, Islay is the first one we want to go back to.
    Mull and Colonsay are great, but I prefer Islay. Maybe it’s the whisky? 😉

cbike
    Free Member

Tayvallich, Lismore, Gigha, Rum and Eigg for the more adventurous. Don’t rule out the Mainland. Calmac have island hopping deals.

If you can get to Treshnish the puffins and other seabirds are pretty amazing. Philip at https://www.lochvisions.co.uk/ runs a great tour for the super keen photographer. Slow boats also leave from oban.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mull and Colonsay are great, but I prefer Islay. Maybe it’s the whisky?

You MAY have a point Geologist.

Mrs EGF & I still need to go back to South & North Uist though.

Haven’t been to Mull, need to go. Haven’t been to Tiree, need to go. Haven’t been to Colonsay, need to go.
    There’s places in the UK i need to go before other worldwide places!

irc

mactheknife – Member

Tiree, absolutely love that place. Book early though. Also no wild camping allowed.

By car.

campers who are walking, cycling or kayaking are free to wild camp around the island,

http://www.isleoftiree.com/out-about/camping-and-campervans/

dovebiker

Stayed at Glengorm Castle on Mull a few years ago – 2 dogs OK in the Gatehouse. Whilst it’s a full-day’s trip, driving down to Fionnphort and a day at Knockvologan Beach is worth the trip – we had the place pretty well to ourselves in July, it was 29C and had to seek shelter for fear of sunstroke.

towzer

most islands are pdg, but it may depend on your needs – check out what facilities you need as they likely won’t be all over the place

anyway another Arran vote – lots of views and options
    * also can day trip via Lochranza and can cycle Crinan canal (*excellent bimble) and also day trip to Gigha island (ditto cycle, the smell of roadside flowers, birds twittering, sun blazing, no cars with a fab picnic spot) – fyi Mull of kintyre loop not brilliant in our opinion

also Islay (and I suspect it would be a bit less busy than Arran)
    do the day trip to Colonsay (bikeable – possiby the best day as in scenery/peace/views we’ve had on bikes)and can do Jura (but very linear – out and back), but it was chilled – sunbathing cows and sheep, locals waving – awesome.

don’t rule out the top W coast mainland – its pretty quiet with great views and I’ll mention Dumfries and Galloway as it’s (posssibly)nearer and pretty quiet, people seem to drive past it(we really liked Kippford and Rockcliffe area but there are a fair few beaches and nice bits about – Glen Trool etc etc)

have fun

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Does it need to the Western Isles – what about Orkney? Getting that far north is an adventure in itself. £15 return flights out to North Ronaldsay and Papa Westray (time it right and you do the shortest commercial airline flight in the world). Also some fine beaches

Marin
    Free Member

Nowt too see on Ardnamurchan move along to Mull please.

jp-t853

I’m a big fan of the western isles but the outer hebrides can be a culture shock for some as there is little to do beyond the tranquility and beauty. I say that as someone who loves the area.

Inner hebrides are a good blend of beauty and things going on so they are a safe bet.

I came to this to make the same recommendation as BigButSlimmerBloke.
    Orkney is cracking, there is loads to do a week is not enough. Great scenery, lovely walks, archeology and historic sites at every turn. Kirkwall is a great place with good shops and St Magnus cathedral, Stromness is a lovely little town. NO MIDGES

The main issue now is the cruise ships in August but if you are there by car you will easily avoid them

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Bookmarked.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Scottish Island for a holiday – where’s best?’ is closed to new replies.