Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 384 total)
  • Scottish independence – hmm, a thought
  • binners

Thats because Dave hasn’t got an original thought in his head. He probably read it in an old book of Thatchers speeches

mt
    Free Member

Binners, what happened in 1966, i was around then but nothing of importance happened as I recall.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Every time Cameron speaks about Scotland the SNP get a boost.

mogrim

And Labour loses a vote. The Tory vote remains the same.

CaptJon
    Free Member

thanks for the pointer duckman…

druidh – Member
    As long as Scotland gets all the tax revenues paid to the exchequer over the years for Halifax, Bank of Scotland, Birmingham Midshires, RBS and Nat West, that would seem to be an equitable position.

That makes no sense. Tax has been paid to the UK exchequer, but the toxic debt still exists and will continue to do so if Scotland gets independence. What should be done with it?

TandemJeremy – Member

So does Cameron (in part of England).

zippykona

Ok so a small oil rich nation with no real army. Expect a visit from uncle Sam soon.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Expect a visit from uncle Sam soon

They were here for years – then they left again…

…plus, do you realise how many sleeper cells we have in the US and Canada 🙂

duckman

zippykona – Member
    Ok so a small oil rich nation with no real army. Expect a visit from uncle Sam soon.

POSTED 47 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

No bother, he probably IS actually our Uncle Sam bearing in mind the stock the Americans came from 😀

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

no real army.

druidh
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    Ok so a small oil rich nation with WMDs. Expect a visit from uncle Sam soon.

FTFY 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What WMDs? Buckie? That’s from Devon anyway, in’t it?

Deep-fried Mars bars? Bagpipes? Tennents Super Lager?

Purple can FTW.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused on all this, the radio news said that they were going to the Poles. What’s it got to do with the Poles?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

They need the Poles to come and sort out the complete and utter balls-up that is the Edinburgh Tram system…

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

What WMDs?

Recognise the hills in the background – probably not, unless you happen to live in Dunoon…

donsimon
    Free Member

They need the Poles to come and sort out the complete and utter balls-up that is the Edinburgh Tram system…

Ta muchly. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah, those boats what belong to the UK.

What makes you think we’d let you have anything like that? Don’t be daft.

The only possible way Scotland will ever gain independence will be under terms dictated by the UK, which are in the best interests of the UK. Don’t go dreaming you’d all suddenly be rich with nuclear subs to protect your waters etc, because you won’t. If it did ever happen, you’d be no better off than you are now, and ultimately worse off.

So quit yer silly whinging, and just accept that you’re British. And that we rule you. 😀

CaptJon
    Free Member

Here’s an interesting stat from Faisal Islam (C4 news) via Twitter:

RBS’s peak balance sheet – £2.5tn, versus Scottish GDP of £100bn. In 07 RBS was 2500% of Scottish GDP. In Iceland crisis all banks 800% GDP

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter how many times you repeat it – RBS isn’t a ‘Scottish’ bank; it’s a privately owned bank, part of the UK banking system.

Just like BP wasn’t a ‘British’ company, however many times the US wanted it to be so.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

So quit yer silly whinging, and just accept that you’re British. And that we rule you

There is no “we” – as you like to remind us “you’re just a poor boy, from a poor family”, so whatever happens, posting up facetious twaddle on STW is about as much influence as you’re going to have on all this. You might as well just settle back and get used to being shafted by the posh boys 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Diddums.

posting up facetious twaddle on STW is about as much influence as you’re going to have on all this.

And exactly what ‘influence’ are you personally going to have? None.

Resorting to ad hominem attacks all you got? Bless.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

And exactly what ‘influence’ are you personally going to have? None.

It might have escaped you attention, but, by virtue of the blessing of living in Scotland, I’ll be getting a vote in the referendum.

I think you might also want to check what an ‘ad hominem’ is – there’s no personal attack on you, I’m simply pointing out that you, as a resident of London, won’t be getting a vote in the referendum, and will have to content yourself with living under the control of David Cameron and his chums, hence the figurative ‘shafting’. I’m assuming that you don’t consider being referred to as a “poor boy” as an ad hominem, since you’ve reminded us all on many occasions of your background.

CaptJon
    Free Member

ditch_jockey – Member
    Doesn’t matter how many times you repeat it – RBS isn’t a ‘Scottish’ bank; it’s a privately owned bank, part of the UK banking system.

Just like BP wasn’t a ‘British’ company, however many times the US wanted it to be so.

Thanks, I know. But it is relevant in this discussion, its HQ will have to be based in either scotland or the UK and there would be questions about who’d bail it out with a repeat of the crunch.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think you might also want to check what an ‘ad hominem’ is – there’s no personal attack on you

Erm, you made personal references in an attempt to belittle me. I suggest you go away and have a think about your own mistake there, sonny jim. 😉

I’ll be getting a vote in the referendum.

And? You still won’t be getting independence, if you ever do, under your terms. Ittul be under UK terms alone, and you know it.

IE, you’ll get shafted by the ‘posh boys’ as much as anyone else.

The sooner you realise it’s a daft pipedream, and just accept that you’re British, not Scottish, the better off you’ll be.

What passport do you have? What language are we currently conversing in?

Back of the net….

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

At best I think you’re in a pot/kettle situation there elf, since you’ve been taking a deliberately belittling tone in most of your contributions to this debate. The least you could do is take it on the chin if you get some back, rather than complaining about it.

However, you stick your shirt over your head and shout ‘goal’ if it makes you happy 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Interesting points on CH4 news just now, just how much of the national debt would Scotland take on and also how much of oil reserves would come under Scottish control.

Both unclear currently.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

However, you stick your shirt over your head and shout ‘goal’ if it makes you happy

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pGSbiAwU9s&feature=related[/video]

druidh
    Free Member

allthepies – Member
    Interesting points on CH4 news just now, just how much of the national debt would Scotland take on and also how much of oil reserves would come under Scottish control.

The former has been estimated at between £48Bn and £96Bn, so while it’s not 100% clear, we do have some bounds. As for the latter, since we don’t know what the total oil reserves are, the split can’t be identified 🙂 However, both a Scottish and English ocean sector are already recognised under international maritime law.

allthepies
    Free Member

As for the latter, since we don’t know what the total oil reserves are, the split can’t be identified

I was talking about geographical regions really.

druidh
    Free Member

An observation:

I take with a pinch of salt anything I hear on the mainstream UK media. Only last night, it was stated by a reporter that an independent Scotland would have to negotiate entry to the EU. Now, he may turn out to be correct, but there are currently arguments on both sides. Stating one as absolute fact is either poor, or biased reporting.

oldnpastit

So, are we all going to have to replace the Union Jack with something else?

And will the Queen sell Balmoral? And would Scotland have a king (some descendant of Bonny Prince Charlie) or a president?

EDIT: nothing on the SNP website, hence my question here.

nick1962
    Free Member

1966?
    I remember 1967 though.Pals at work never stop banging on about some bloke called Jim Baxter..
    http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=6813

druidh
    Free Member

Current plans are that Scotland retains the monarchy. Remember, Scotland and England shared a monarch before 1707 and the Queen is still notional head of state across the commonwealth.

The Queen owns Balmoral. I can’t see why she would want to sell it. Were you looking to put in an offer?

Edit: forget all the Bonnie Prince Charlie nonsense. That was a religious, not a national war.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well in fairness Druidh, it WAS a National war – just a Scottish National Civil War that England got dragged into.

Mind you, i’m still a bit sore about a French-inspired Scottish Monarch causing a two British Civil Wars with his daft ideas about divine rule… 😉

oldnpastit

Remember, Scotland and England shared a monarch before 1707

OK, I hate quoting Wikipedia. Made-up facts and quotes are far superior. Whatever, the first King to try this, King James, declared that Great Britain be viewed as:

presently united, and as one realm and kingdom, and the subjects of both realms as one people

So he was looking forward, but we’ll be looking back. I don’t think it will work for very long.

I think the Union has been a force for good, and we’re better together and weaker apart. So shoot me, or worse, add me to that killfile thing.

druidh
    Free Member

muddydwarf – Member
    Well in fairness Druidh, it WAS a National war – just a Scottish National Civil War that England got dragged into.

Perhaps we should refer to it as a religious war?. The Jacobite army marched south in order to put Charles Edward Stuart on the throne of Great Britain. There were Jacobean supporters in England – just not very many 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

oldnpastit – Member
    we’ll be looking back…..I think the Union has been a force for good, and we’re better together and weaker apart

I won’t.

Looking back is about the best that the dependence parties can currently offer in support of their position. They need to provide a coherent view of why Scotland should continue in its current partnership with England, not hark back to the days of empire and war.

When we have interests in common, we will continue to work together. As an example, a combined Scottish/rUK voting bloc at the EU would be larger than the current UK one.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well, there were more on his way down than on his way back that’s for sure Druidh!

I believe towns that cheered him South then jeered him North!

I agree it was a religiously inspired conflict, nowadays you just send your religously-inspired football ‘fans’ to wreck Manchester… 😛

nick1962
    Free Member

Czechoslovakia managed to separate into two nations quite easily recently so the potential infrastructure issues which people keep raising can be resolved.

bajsyckel

There were Jacobean supporters in England – just not very many

Well apart from (present day) Northumberland and Cumbria – where there was broad support (and some of the leadership) for the Jacobean cause. As such, I propose these currently occupied territories be added to the post-colonial independent nation.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Tell you what, we’ll do it along ancient ethnic lines, and considering the Southern Scots lowlands were invaded and populated by Saxons – apart from Strathclyde which is why AEthelstan knew them as the Strathclyde Welsh – then the Scottish lowlands will stay as part of the new East and West Marches of England and the true Ethnic Scots can go back into their mountains 😛

EDIT : TJ has to stay with the Ethnic Scots though, preferably on an island without broadband…

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 384 total)

The topic ‘Scottish independence – hmm, a thought’ is closed to new replies.