Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 384 total)
  • Scottish independence – hmm, a thought
  • binners

Apparently:

Mr Obama’s maternal ancestor, Edward FitzRandolph, is said to have emigrated to America in the 17th Century.

According to genealogists, his ancestry can also be traced to William the Lion, who ruled Scotland from 1165 to 1214.

I can’t help thinking you’re being slightly presumptuous about your automatic right to citizenship Uncle Jez. You’re as English as fox hunting 😉 Obama is actually more likely to get it. Do you have any Kenyan in you?

mogrim

Because Salmond wants a get out clause as an excuse for the “advisory” referendum not to become “binding” if the vote doesn’t come out in favour of independence.

Z11, you’re even more cynical than me!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’re as English as fox hunting

What about the Welsh fox hunts, eh? RACIST! 😉

binners

Oh…erm…fair point. In that case: he’s as English as a Tory constituency fund-raising Bridge Evening in Chipping Norton 😀

duckman

binners – Member
    Would you have to do a citizenship test Uncle Jezza?

Posted 27 minutes ago # Report-Post
    TandemJeremy – Member
    NOpe – I live here.

Posted 23 minutes ago # Report-Post

We’ll be the judge of that laddie! 😀

binners

Exactly my point Duckman! There’s a hell of a presumption going on here.

He is, after all, as an English as a rolled-up-trousered Freemasons handshake between a chief constable and an over-the-drink-drive-limit local councilor. In Surrey 🙂

mt
    Free Member

So if I have a Grandparents from England Scotland Wales and Yorkshire. Can I vote on Scotish seperatism.

Freedom for Yorkshire, may the truly tight rule there own desiny. HOW MUCH! (yorkshire war cry).

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The South will rise again…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

may the truly tight rule their own destiny.

That’s what Salmond wants, too.

😈

hilldodger
    Free Member

For something “they” have apparently been wanting for the best part of 300 years, it all does seem a bit Micky McMouse…

….still no decision on who can vote, when to vote, what voting system to use and what the vote will mean – a cynic might think it was all about political posturing with no real substance, but I’m sure it’s not.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

a cynic might think it was all about political posturing with no real substance, but I’m sure it’s not.

Of course not. If that was the case, AS would have chosen a date for the referendum that would, in his opinion, somehow stir up some sort of nationalistic feelings in Scotland.

But of course, he didn’t. Did he?

maccruiskeen

Citizenship – the people of Scotland are those who live here and those with strong ties to the country.

The resident, tax paying, voting population of Scotland plus Sean Connery

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Z11 – more than a grain of truth in your comments.

The whole thing strikes me as a rather sad waste of money/time. Scotland is a wonderful country and I have benefitted from a Scottish education which was superior to the one I would have received south of the wall. All we have now is lots of political mischief making that will be irrelevant to the grander scheme of things. As we have seen over the past 48 hours it will provide immense entertainment to counter the rest of reality TV, with gross hypocrisy, inconsistencies, self-serving, manipulation on all sides. But will it improve the lives of the Scots or the English/Irish/N Irish. Very doubtful. But when has that stopped politicians?

I wish they would do something about the educational apartheid though. Shame that my kids will not be able to benefit from a Scottish education.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Connery has no doubt got his cheque book ready for the campaign funds. Hey, he might even come back and live in Scotland?

binners

The population of Scotland plus Sean Connery

Don’t forget Mel

Hey, he might even come back and live in Scotland?

Yip – I’d imagine that’ll happen on the same day Paul McCartney moves back to ‘the Greatest City in the World’ – Liverpool

maccruiskeen

I think I can manage to forget Mel

maccruiskeen

For something “they” have apparently been wanting for the best part of 300 years, it all does seem a bit Micky McMouse…

300 years? no such thing.- Scottish nationalism is a romantic movement originated by a bunch of idle toffs in the 1920’s.

mt
    Free Member

but I have strong ties to Scotland, I love a bottle of Glengoyne, think Haggis is the food of the gods, rate Black Isle as one of the worlds best beer brewers, absolutley love the pipes and am learning to play and constantly feel like an oppressed minority. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease can I vote.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The ignorance being quoted on here is really rather amusing. for example

CaptainFlashheart – Member

AS would have chosen a date for the referendum that would, in his opinion, somehow stir up some sort of nationalistic feelings in Scotland.

Lets see something to back this up. Its a unionist canard that the anniversary of the battle of bannockburn will be used. No one from the nationalists has ever said that and for a variety of reasons it would not be a good date.

Its so funny to see the rabid right on here attempting to justify not allowing the self determination of a people when the same folk defended the right of the Falkland islanders to self determination.

Humbug hypocrisy and cant.

hels
    Free Member

Has anybody done the “Scotsman in you” joke ?

(From NZ are ye ? Do you have any Scotsman in ye ? No. Do ye want some ?)

As heard about 10 times a night when I worked in a pub by Redford Barracks and the A&SH were in.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Is anything worn under the kilt?

Nae, it’s all in perfect working order!

binners

Jezza. Serious question for you: When you’ve been ethnically cleansed by the newly independent locals, high on a tide of unpleasant nationalism stoked up for political purposes, which part of your native homeland do you fancy living in?

epicsteve
    Free Member

My dad is Scottish and my mum is English, so can I have a passport for each please? Potentially useful for tax purposes.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

TJ – funny you bring up the Falklands again – you’ve still not answered the question from that thread on whether the Shetland Islanders would get the right to self determination, if they did not want to be part of an independent Scotland.

Regardless, I can’t see anyone on here saying Scotland does not have a right to self determination – in fact we’re all for it, and the Government of the United Kingdom seems to think that you should be given the opportunity sooner rather than later – it seems to be Alec Salmond saying that the Scottish people only have a right to self determination when he says so, and on his conditions, when the law says thats not his responsibility.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Its so funny to see the rabid right on here attempting to justify not allowing the self determination of a people when the same folk defended the right of the Falkland islanders to self determination.

It is indeed TJ, but the whole issue is humbug, hypocrisy and ….(????)

A pro-Unionist pushes for the vote and a pro-independence hides behind an advisory mandate/partial vote. Its all so bizarre. Good job the economy is in such fine fettle that our time is being spent wisely!!

firestarter
    Free Member

Can’t wait for the vote on becoming the ‘independent republic of Yorkshire’

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…and then Elie? A nation state if ever there was one?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Didn’t Yorkshire vote no to devolution?

mt
    Free Member

Alex for PM of the UK I say. Why does he limit himself, he could show a few politicians (and us) what it means stand up for your country. I’m not a fan of seperatism/independance as it’s a throw back to another age but Salmond is pretty good at his job and would better at being PM than any number of idiots that have/want the job (past and present).

duckman

z-11 why would the Shetlands be looking to cede from Scotland? Would it be because the Norwegians had control of the Islands from 850-1400? By your thinking there should also be votes in Northumbria, Mercia, East Anglia, Essex, Kent, Sussex and Wessex. Oh; and Cornwall and the Isle of Man. They all fulfil the criteria you seem to use to suggest the Shetlands are not part of Scotland.

Poor you,must be hard to see the last vestiges of Your country’s colonial might dissapear into the sunset. Scotland, Wales NI…All in the next 40 years.

binners

I know what you’re saying mt. He’s a clever bugger. And Shrewd. He’s been running rings around everyone. Scotland have got what a lot of us want. A realistic alternative to the tired 2 party system, now there just purely to represent their vested interest friends in business

BUT… if you had a survey question ‘which human being looks the most annoyingly smug, self-satisfied and generally pleased with themselves?

Then I’m afraid its between him and Piers Morgan

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BUT… if you had a survey question ‘which human being looks the most annoyingly smug, self-satisfied and generally pleased with themselves?

Then I’m afraid its between him and Piers Morgan

🙂

mt
    Free Member

I’d look as smug as Salmond if I was up against such political numties (all parties included).

firestarter – Member

Republic? Ian McMillan “Bard of Barnsley” for King as long as he gives us a poem a day. We could pay him in the Yorkshire beer of his choice. I’d prefer anything from The Nook (if you know it you know what I mean).

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Duckman

why would the Shetlands be looking to cede from Scotland? Would it be because the Norwegians had control of the Islands from 850-1400?

Why on earth should Scotland have anything to do with the Shetlands? is it because they want the Shetlanders oil wealth?

What claim does Scotland have to that?

Why can’t they have the right to self determination? If you look at the historical legal position, they have no legal ties with Scotland, by rights they should be (and were) an independent crown dependency, like the Channel Islands, and for that matter, yes, the Isle of Man.

You can’t argue that Scotland has a right to self determination, and at the same time also argue that the Shetlands don’t have their own right to do so – its a fundemental hypocrisy in the argument put forward by the Scottish Nationalists (TJ included)

If the Shetlanders asked for their own independence, and (rightfully) took the oil with them, where would Alec Salmonds spending plans be?

ahwiles
    Free Member

Citizenship – the people of Scotland are those who live here and those with strong ties to the country.

bloody hell, i’m scottish.

never really thought about it before.

zokes
    Free Member

Also funny to see that you were madly arguing that the Falklanders shouldn’t have self determination rights, with the only vaguely logical argument for this basis being their proximity to Argentina.

derekrides
    Free Member

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No zokes – I am perfectly prepared for the Falklands to have self determination. I never argued anything different.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

But are you prepared for the Shetlanders to have their own right to self determination TJ?

ahwiles
    Free Member

pass.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 384 total)

The topic ‘Scottish independence – hmm, a thought’ is closed to new replies.