Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Scottish Highlands Mobile Signal Coverage
  • kennyp
    Free Member

Finally decided to drag myself into the 21st century and get one of these smartphone things as I’d like internet access when on the move. I’m up in the Highlands a lot at weekends where I’m guessing coverage isn’t great, so what network would be best (or least worst) to sign up with?

I’m a bit of a mobile phone ignoramus, and there’s a bewildering world of deals out there.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Vodafone is the best I’ve found followed by Orange.

druidh
    Free Member

Stick with O2 or, more likely, Vodafone(they do a bit of mast sharing). No one else has anything near the same coverage. In general, you’ll get a signal if you are prepared to climb the nearest munro.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve got Vodafone which is generally ok close to civilisation populated areas – obviously there are countless areas with no signal up here but that’ll affect all networks I would think. I hear that O2 is ok as well.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m on o2 and vodafone.

It’s patchy in the glens (as you would expect), but as druidh points out, you’ll catch a signal if you’re up high 🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

There is always the option of getting hold of an unlocked phone and getting a load of sim cards for different networks. That’s what I used to do when I was doing a lot of sea kayaking round the west coast.

peajay

For mobile Internet I’ve found 3 best in Lochaber, O2 is patchy, Vodafone rubbish for Internet, all are good for calls,
    PJ.

kennyp
    Free Member

Cheers, the Vodaphone O2 thing backs up what I’ve seen from a quick hunt around the interweb. I always like to get first hand experience though. I suspect most of the people who do these “coverage survey webpage” things have never been anywhere near the Highlands.

kennyp
    Free Member

In general, you’ll get a signal if you are prepared to climb the nearest munro

Exactly. I have every second Friday off and I can only think of one thing more fun than getting to the top of a hill (on foot or bike)……and that thing is then e-mailing back photos from said summit to my friends stuck in their offices staring at their screens. I’m bad that way. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

It gets old after a while 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Scottish Highlands Mobile Signal Coverage’ is closed to new replies.