Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Scottish gov to make students stay for Xmas?
  • matt_outandabout

That is eldest_oab’s three of five of his halls flat mates just tested positive.

A big party on Friday last…

hmmm

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Eejits.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Halls of Pestilence

robowns
    Free Member

If I was a student I’d just go home anyway to be honest.

fasthaggis

If I was a student I’d just go home anyway to be honest.

If I was a student I’d transfer to the Open University before they put their fees up. 😉

matt_outandabout

If I was a student on a robotics and AI course I couldn’t go home as there are practical labs and OU don’t offer the course. 😉

Halls of Pestilance
    Well, he will be eating pasta and hiding for a couple of weeks now..

perchypanther
    Free Member

Halls of Pastalence
    Halls of Pestolence

Get him a big carry oot and it could be Halls of Pistolence

fossy

To the OP,

Your son will be coming home as MMU are making plans to get everyone tested, I think twice. All off home by the 9th December at the latest.

It’s going to be a huge operation. There will also be halls refunds. So don’t worry, they are doing their best. Just tell him not to go partying just before the tests etc. etc.

globalti
    Free Member

Thanks for the reassurance.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Er, no, not even a little bit. It was never mentioned as an outcome, everything was about “unis are open, come on back”.

At this point I remember that it’s no longer just the brightest folk who go to Uni…

I have to admit that I do kind of agree with this sentiment. It was pretty obvious.

Having said which, it would have been even more obvious to the people in charge of universities, but they just lied and obfuscated to save their own skins. They deliberately misled the very people who are paying them stacks of money for an education. Rather than looking after their charges, the Unis shafted them.
    So I can understand why some students did what they did. Respect for authority and all that.

God bless the market economy. ( Or whatever it is called)

sharkbait
    Free Member

There will also be halls refunds.

Yay…. Daughter#2 will be pleased!

matt_outandabout

And so it transpires…

The in-halls soiree on Friday, only for a chosen few from thier corridor and corridor above, had boyfriend from outwith thier halls attend.

He had tested positive the day before. And still went to the party at his new beau’s invite.

From the texts son has had there’s now at least 10 positive and they seem to think every resident of the upper two floors isolating.

I hope the superspreader is kicked out of uni, and that (my son included) those who thought one last party before a fortnight of calm ahead of going home learn…

Del

He had tested positive the day before. And still went to the party at his new beau’s invite.

what a selfish prick!

onehundredthidiot

I know the world’s a changed place but we’d have been out the door for something like that.

matt_outandabout

Now 12 positive, 6 more getting tests now…. Ffs

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

Back in the proper lockdown you could move house or move into someone elses houses for at least a week or more for a valid reason like the house being uninhabitable or domestic abuse.

Simply have your lad fill the bog up till the pipe bursts, claim it’s uninhabitable in a letter and email to the university and leave.

Produce a copy of the letter to any copper who turns up on your door and tell them to jog on.

Having said which, it would have been even more obvious to the people in charge of universities, but they just lied and obfuscated to save their own skins. They deliberately misled the very people who are paying them stacks of money for an education. Rather than looking after their charges, the Unis shafted them.

Yup, people have been saying this for years and now Tory papers are shocked…shocked I tell you that Universities are being run like racketeering rings….now middle class kids are being ripped off.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Some people are essentially “see you next Tuesdays”, self entitled prick will be driving an Audi in a year or two

csb

Forget uni, isn’t that illegal?

stumpyjon

Here we go again, daughter and all in her flat have already had it (one out of the five of them decided ignoring rules was Ok while the others stuck to them), now a another student in their class has tested positive so looks like they’ll need to isolate again.

tuboflard

Government have published the guidance for students going home for Christmas

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/higher-education-reopening-buildings-and-campuses/student-movement-and-plans-for-the-end-of-autumn-2020-term

My take on it is most unis will be very thorough in mass testing and getting students out the door as soon as they possible after a negative result. I know Sheffield universities are looking at within 24 hours of the result.

Also the guidance makes clear that everyone must travel between 3 and 9 December so hopefully get it all done and back in time that should they subsequently test positive there’s still time for isolation before Christmas gatherings.

matt_outandabout

Well Heriot Watt are testing absolutely everyone resident on site, starting this morning and working through until it’s done. Good on them and NHS.

Eldest_oab was booked for a test anyway after having sore throat and tickle/cough over night. Now waiting on results.

There’s real worry now from the students that if this spirals and keeps ‘rolling infections’ going, some folk might be asked to not travel as they will be in quarantine over Christmas – Government policy or not.

tpbiker
    Free Member

If there is any karma in the world he’ll end up suffering for months with long covid, what an utter prick. He should be name and shamed as he’s scum..

I hope he gets kicked out of uni. I’m assuming the uni know about it right?It’s just a shame he can’t be charged for that kind of behaviour.

MoreCashThanDash

I hope he gets kicked out of uni. I’m assuming the uni know about it right?It’s just a shame he can’t be charged for that kind of behaviour.

Has he not broken the law by failing to isolate after a positive test? Either way, he should be kicked out of uni for being a dick, which will look good in his CV when applying for jobs

stevextc
    Free Member

Your son will be coming home as MMU are making plans to get everyone tested, I think twice. All off home by the 9th December at the latest.

Did I miss something.
    I didn’t think getting a negative test invalidated self isolation?
    [that seems far too logical]

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-and-tracing/nhs-test-and-trace-if-youve-been-in-contact-with-a-person-who-has-coronavirus/

What to do when you get your test result
    If you test negative (the test did not find coronavirus):

keep self-isolating for the rest of the 14 days from when you were last in contact with the person who has coronavirus – as you could get symptoms after being tested

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Scottish gov to make students stay for Xmas?’ is closed to new replies.