Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Scottish Ferries
  • maccruiskeen

Is Ardrossan getting the upgrade needed, it’s just delayed?

It’s not ‘delayed’ as such, there has been the expectation that it will happen – part of the brief for the ferries was contingent on it happening, but nothing has actually been actioned. Renewing the ferries and upgrading the port are two sides of the same coin – the brief for the ferry being contingent on the upgrading of the dock. But while one has been failing to finish the other has been failing to start. And while it has been failing to start the costs of labour and materials have been increasing meaning that any deal between Peel Ports, the council and the gov was based on an out of date budget. So until an agreement is reached on that the position is really less than not having started. They couldn’t start tomorrow.

Troon is the right size / shape for the ferry to operate from there but can’t supply the gas the new ferries run on. The move to Troon was supposed to have started and ended before the new ferries arrived. Its expected to park a big barge full of gas next to it for refuelling but that is then too slow a refuelling process to keep a full timetable and the barge would have to travel back and forth to Kent to restock.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Is Ardrossan getting the upgrade needed, it’s just delayed? A temporary move to Troon then?

Or…?

There’s “plenty*” if you search the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, basically Troon was reactivated to handle the ferries whilst Ardrossan is closed for the upgrades. This has had a load of councillors on soap boxes desperate to be noticed telling anyone who will listen it’s all a conspiracy to move the ferries permenantly and demanding all the usual nonsense that will end up making it such a bawache it’ll be a self fulfilling prophecy. Clydeport (Peel) also seem to be doing sweet fa to move things along.

*usual local paper shite

apart from there not being any refuelling facilities for the new hybrid ferries

Presumably they’ll take bunkers the same way as any other ship in the harbour which I’d imagine will be off the back of another ship when off duty. I am surprised that there’s no fuel provision in a purpose built fuel terminal though.

maccruiskeen

Presumably they’ll take bunkers the same way as any other ship in the harbour

All the other ships run on LNG?

poly
    Free Member

Last week it took me 3 hours to get to a dental appointment in Oban, 36 miles away because the direct ferry was fully booked – I had to drive 80-odd miles and take 2 ferries instead.

Appreciate it was a while ago you posted this – but is Mull not big enough to sustain its own dental practice? But then I’m equally as surprised that you needed to drive once in Oban – unless you are saying the ferry was fully booked for foot passengers too.

Ferry services could undoubtedly be better – but it’s only because we are used to luxuries of modern life that we notice it.  Even 60 years ago the level of service, speed, operating conditions available today would have been unthinkable.  That’s not to say we should leave the islands and remote communities behind as the rest of the country marches towards comfort and success – but like bridges perfect ferries might be a double edged sword.

squirrelking
    Free Member

All the other ships run on LNG?

Nope.

Isn’t that the point of the Sannox and Rosa being dual fuel? AFAIK there’s no gas infrastructure to refuel them at Ardrossan either so until there’s is they would have to run on diesel only. The damnable thing is there’s a rail head at Troon where you could conceivably shuttle ISO tanks to the harbour but that’s not really realistic.

xora

Isn’t that the point of the Sannox and Rosa being dual fuel? AFAIK there’s no gas infrastructure to refuel them at Ardrossan either so until there’s is they would have to run on diesel only. The damnable thing is there’s a rail head at Troon where you could conceivably shuttle ISO tanks to the harbour but that’s not really realistic.

Its not really a worry when the LNG pipes inside the ship don’t exist either. I suspect in time the LNG will be forgotten and will have just wasted years and millions of $$$ and not a single person will get punished!

irc

“Clydeport (Peel) also seem to be doing sweet fa to move things along.”

Just pure speculation here but is there a game of bluff being played here between Peel Ports and the taxpayer in the shape of the council, Transport Scotland/CMAL and the SCottish govt.

Ardrossan is the obvious port for Arran services as it is the shortest crossing amd has a railway station. So Peel obviously want to retain in the long term the berthing fees from Calmac while spending as little as possible on maintaining and/or upgrading the berths.  So any further delay will strengthen their hand by increasing public pressure for a solution.

The history of the Scottish govt negotiating with private companies doesn’t fill me with confidence though.

There’s not just a ferry fiasco – the Gupta scandal is even bigger

squirrelking
    Free Member

@xora Well considering they’re due to be fitted next month I’ll take your prediction with a shovel of salt.

@irc
    I’d say you’re on the money, I’d be happy to see the back of Peel tbh, they’re doing bugger all with what they have and don’t seem in much of a hurry to change that.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ffs.

I get that the P&O berth was more accessible and Glennon use the other one for their barge BUT THERE IS A **** CATAMARAN BERTH IN TROON HARBOUR ALREADY!

Get the Arthur back and sort this shit out.

(I honestly know that’s not going to happen for a number of reasons, not least the fact it’s not been used in about 20 years)

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.