Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Scottish child trailer-friendly trails
  • t_i_m
    Free Member

I’m trying to organise a week long trip to Scotland for some mountain biking in the summer. Only problem is that I’ve now got a toddler and a trailer to cater for!
    So please can you recommend me any trails that are both good and child trailer friendly?
    We’re planning to spend a few nights in Inverness, then possibly Glentress/Peebles and finally a few nights in the Dalbeattie area.
    Ideally, we’d like to spend some time at some of the trail centres as we’re travelling with a mixed group but will frankly settle for anywhere that’s good to drag a trailer around.
    BTW, I’ve ridden most of the Scottish trail centres before but I just didn’t pay any attention to the green/blue trails or how wide they were for trailers!
    Thanks

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What kind of trailer is it? Some of the trails at GT are on the borderline width wise.

Sanny
    Free Member

Took my wee one round Lochan Eilan and Glenmore area of Aviemore at Easter. She seemed to really enjoy it and the scenery is terrific. Also rode to Loch Garten one of the days on the back roads. Andersons in Boat of Garten is kiddy friendly as is the cafe at Glenmore. The trails are easy to follow and not too bumpy.

Cheers

Sanny

Trekster

Kids in trailers are a regular feature at Mabie and Dalbeattie. The blue/green at Ae would certainly be doable I am sure.

t_i_m
    Free Member

The trailer is a Cougar Chariot 2. So it’s pretty wide.

althepal

Interested in this myself but my wife isn’t happy with the idea..
    Can I ask how old your toddler is? What trailer are you using?
    I’m quite hard pressed to get out on the bike much with having my own wee boy and working nightshifts.. Was thinking about getting a cheap wee trailer and just cycling round our local loch which is only a half mile away for a bit of fitness… My wife doesn’t want my wee boy in a trailer on the road but thinks I’ll be arrested if I cycle the half mile down to the loch on the pavement!!
    Anyone know about the legality of it? My street is quiet and although the main road at the end does have a sort of cycle lane it is fairly busy and although it’s a 30 limit most folk do 40+!!
    Getting back on topic (phew) have cycled a bit around Aviemore, dulnain bridge etc.. There’s some nice off road cycle routes that start at the top end of Aviemore.. Perfect for trailers, nice and wide etc.. I’m sure boggy bikes could give you some good info regarding the local area.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Our wee fella is just 19 weeks old. We have already ridden the GT Blue from Blue Velvet down – there was only one point on the climb from the Cafe to the Buzzard’s Nest CP that was too narrow and necessitated a ‘dab’ to negotiate & the ramp off the bridge on the descent was by far the trickiest bit. We’ve ridden sections of the Crinan Canal and the Caledonian Canal too. There are loads of great trails in most forests, even the forest roads. We rode the Raider’s Road in Galloway Forest Park a couple of weeks ago.

We’ve also ridden on Speyside and even done the Laggan Freeride trail. The boardwalk on the red is too narrow though.

We live by Loch Leven and regularly ride (2-3 evening a week) the Loch Leven Heritage Trail – I fully recommend it.

All in, the key factors are can you manage the climbs, and how smooth are the surfaces?

organic355
    Free Member

+1 for Mabie Blue, mostly fireroad with a tiny section of singletrack which is doo-able with a trailer.

t_i_m
    Free Member

even done the Laggan Freeride trail

that would be great. I’ve done a small freeride/dirt jump trail before and the trailer was suprisingly good around the berms.
    (And before anyone starts going Daily Mail on me: the trailer stayed firmly on the ground and my daughter slept through the first half of the trail!)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Scottish child trailer-friendly trails’ is closed to new replies.