Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • scottish cheeky camping
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

me n the missus going for a wee holiday before i go away for a bit.

i know a few nice spots for camping overnight but all local and we want to go further afield , any one able to shed any light on cheap/free campsites/fields in nice locations possibly west coast or up north – feel free to email me if you dont want to publicise online their where abouts … failing this we may just take my bob and go bothying – i know a hunner weight of those

or just stop where i please as i do on the bike

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do you mean camping by car? Personally I'd use campsites. You can wild camp at the roadside but you have to consider what would happen if everyone wanted to do so.

There is a nice campsite at durness on the north coast – a fave of mine

Achmelvic is nice as well

trail_rat
    Free Member

sango sands is on my cards(thats durness) saw it by bike last week

obviously i dont mean by the road side i mean places like the tarfside village campsite- i know some lochside villages on the west coast have campsides too

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Roadside camping is OK done sensitivly

Glenuig? I have camped on the beach opposite the pub and there is a community hall with loos and showers Nice spot. Camped on the beach at Strontian as well. Both times with the blessing of the locals – which is the key thing.

fizzer
    Free Member

Shieldaig

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Terry, the white sands of morar is where it's at for free camping!.

lazlo53
    Free Member

Sandwood Bay

Kunstler

Terry, the white sands of morar is where it's at for free camping!.

Yep, though there are some great campsites on that part of the coast too.

About eight years ago I stayed in a field next to the YH in Torridon village (showers in the public toilet block) where some days a litle old lady would come around on a moped and collect £4.

Beach at Redpoint.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

2nd Sandwood Bay.

Another I like – Loch Brora up in Sutherland. Park just off the road somewhere then carry the gear a little ways off to the shores of the loch. Truely a special place. You will know where I mean when you get there 😉 There is a large grassy area after you come through some woodland – it's only a 100m walk or so from the car to tuck in around the back of the trees by the waterside.

There are a few places around Lochinver too that I have enjoyed using in the past 😉

Ewan
    Free Member

It's not cheeky to wild camp in Scotland. It's allowed as long as you're 100m from the nearest road. Obviously try and be considerate.

Different in England and Wales, with the exception of Dartmoor where it's also allowed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ewan i realise this but rather than write – "im a cheepskate anti social bastard who doesnt like listening to others snoring 6 inches away id like to know some nice spots to camp" …. it doesnt fit in the title box for one 😀

i guess what im looking for is scotlands answer to the NZ department of conservation sites ….ie where the TV and power brigade are not in the vacinity – tends to just be those who want to enjoy the country side

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘scottish cheeky camping’ is closed to new replies.