Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Scottish 24 hour epic???
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

I am thinking of doing some kind of 24hr endurance ride (personal thing not a race) to raise some moneys for some peoples and because its well fun isnt it.
    It needs to be in Scotland as im based there but i am not sure on what to do route wise. I am thinking onroad and offroad sections as just grinding out 24hrs on a road bike will be pretty darn boring. I think a distance of 200miles is doable, also thinking some kind of C2C would be a good idea as it gives people a good perspective of what the ride is as just saying going to ride 24hrs isnt as interesting.
    thoughts on a route and a bike to use would be appreciated…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you want to raise money by sponsership do something useful. collect litter? sponser per kilo collected

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Be the first person to do the WHW double.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

tandemjeremy – when you consider the two options, i think you can guess which one is more exciting.
    nobeer – is there actually no one that has done that?

Stu_N

Tour of cairngorms?

http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/rr014.html

Or possibly 2 laps using the shorter version using the Geldie and Feshie between Braemar and Glen Feshie.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

If you think a C2C route is a goer then why not choose to do just that?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What do you want to achieve – have a fun ride or do something useful / raise money for charity?

Stu_N

TJ -not mutually exclusive.

I did a road ride from Aberdeen – Dundee – Glasgow – Edinburgh – Gala – Newcastle last year for charidee. 350 miles and £600 for Alzheimers Scotland.

And really enjoyed it (apart from the bit where it was raining so hard we had to hide in a bus shelter near Arbroath, and the bit when I got clipped by a car that overtook me at a traffic island, got into an arguement with driver who insisted there was loads of room to pass, and got punched by said angry driver. But that’s another story. And the polis took him away anyway).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

is there actually no one that has done that?

Nope.

Some roaster on here claimed to have done it, turned out he was talkin pish.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

The original challenge was to do it in 24hrs, that has not been done. Someone has however ridden the WHW is each direction in that same outing though.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

stu – n – nice idea tour of the cairngourms, il have a hunt for a route map. unlucky with the punch up 🙁

tj – emphasis is on doing the ride, i would like to do that regardless and i thought why not raise some money while im at it

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

what sort of time have people managed to do the WHWx2 in so far? isnt half of it a bit shoite and unrideable? or not?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

40 hours or so. And yes large chunks of it are a bit crap,but larger chunks arent.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

that is mightely exciting attempting to be the first to do that in 24hrs, what did the guy who claimed to have done it on here do it in? as 40 hours down to 24hrs seems pretty extreme!
    good shout mind

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

He did it in 40 hours ish.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The original challenge was to do it in 24hrs

Sorry, forgot to add that!.

Garry_Lager

Ye cannae just go for a ride and ask to be sponsored, it needs something extra.
    How about ride to every bookmakers in the central belt, place a bet and drink a can of Tennants at each one, in under 12 hours.
    Tougher than the WHWx2 that.

glenmcg
    Free Member

Stranraer to Edinburgh via all 7 Stanes
    Nip across the border a couple of times and have a go at Kielder 100 x 2

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

How about Barra to the Butt of Lewis in 24hrs?

Stu_N

Barra to Butt surely depends more on wind and ferry timings than riding skillz?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Aye – still a decent ride though.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

i think the whwx2 challenge is a gooden! will need to source some kind of trail bike then as i have carbon ht a dj bike or a dh bike i dont imagine any of those will be ideal. im sure we could fit in some kind of silliness in that also garry.
    is it actually doable though if so far people have only managed 40 hours?! il look into it…

Neil-F
    Free Member

How about the Great Glen way, and the WHW all in one?
    Inverness to Fort Bill, then Fort Bill to Milngavie.
    Easy peasy……. 😯

irc

What about Edinburgh to Fort William off road in a day? Union canal towpath, Forth and Clyde Canal towpath – Kirkintilloch, the old railway path Kirkie to Strathblane, follow the continuation of the old railbed through Blanefield to meet the WHW just before Dumgoyne. Then WHW to FW.

150 miles or so off road in a day?

epicyclo

I was trying to work out an offroad loop from Inverness, Newtonmore, Corrieyairack, and back up the Great Glen. (Don’t have enough local knowledge of the Inverness to Newtonmore bit yet.)

I reckon you could get some decent scenery out of that.

Trekster

Interesting facts?

TandemJeremy – Member
    If you want to raise money by sponsership do something useful. collect litter? sponser per kilo collected

http://www.recycle-more.co.uk/nav/page687.aspx
    http://www.benefits-of-recycling.com/petrecycling.html

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i’m riding the west highland way in early may. Riding it is hard, properly hard. As we stick to the proper route, no popping onto the road to go round sections. A friend did it last year in 16.5 hours. I Would say theres no way you could do the double in 24. (if sticking to the path)
    An ironhorse extreme endurance team rider attempted it with a target of 32 hrs (i think).

A while back Nick Craig and Oli Beckinsale did all the routes at all the 7 stanes in 24 hours.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

A while back Nick Craig and Oli Beckinsale did all the routes at all the 7 stanes in 24 hours.

Not heard about that. Driving between centres I assume?

BoardinBob

Nope, cycling between them on a road bike with cars transporting the mountain bikes

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

this is what has inspired me to do it… anyone seen the reset films film called find? the guy on there who does that 7 stanes challenge!
    hmmm whw seemingly would be nuts!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Nope, cycling between them on a road bike with cars transporting the mountain bikes

I don’t think that is possible. Not ALL the routes at all the 7stanes.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I dunno. A lot of the 7 Stanes places only have one core route at them with little loops of differing difficulty. Would be interesting to add the mileage up right enough.

Xan
    Free Member

A guy I know attempted the WHW double, but only managed party of the first trip as bad weather set in and became too dangerous. Try and contact him if you want info. He also runs tours on the WHW so has a bit of knowledge about the journey. He wants to attempt it again so he might join you.Here’s his website where you can get his contact detail and some info re teh route.

http://www.westhighlandwheels.co.uk/

Sanny
    Free Member

How about the West Highland Way, across to Aviemore then the Speyside Way? I’m sure the guys on Alpkit tried it as a two and a bit dayer.

That would be a very tough ride. May take more than 24 hours though. Basically you’re riding from Glasgow all the way to Buckie / Cullen. Fancy it as a 2 dayer when I get my 29er……

emmag
    Free Member

Hey Sanny-been trying to get hold of you through e-mail? Have you got a film we can use for 2011 Tweedlove? Hope things are all good with you. Emma (Hub)

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Emma

Never saw the e mail.

I’ll get back to you offline!

Cheers

Sanny

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Scottish 24 hour epic???’ is closed to new replies.