Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Scott Spark 2022
  • BearBack
    Free Member

Yep, I was wrong r.e Bold design platform but so glad I was.
    It looks amazing!

identitizombie

*coughs* https://singletrackworld.com/2021/06/scott-release-all-new-spark-rc-and-spark-900/

I’m no Henry, but it’s on Stw too, did I not post enough pictures? haha. Also, did you check out the launch video? It’s actually pretty good.

si77

Looks ideal for bikepacking not having the shock cluttering up the front triangle.

dyls

I assume there will be a new genius in 2022 as well – quite fancy one if the shock is integrated and it also rides well.

We’ll have to wait until there is an announcement then…

donncha

I really like the clean integrated look.

chrismac

Why is stw ignoring the launch of the new evil? Do they not buy enough advertising?

martinhutch

Looks ideal for bikepacking not having the shock cluttering up the front triangle.

Plus you could probably get a version of the plastic shock ‘cover’ with a cage mount on it if you needed it.

Lovely looking thing.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

All those cables for the twin lock always puts me off Scotts. Apart from that, it looks lovely.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Maybe a daft question, but are all XC racers on 120mm travel now?

Vaguely pondering a racing come back, I last raced in 2011/12 and 29ers and full suss in xc racers were just starting to become the norm. 100mm travel.though.

In my absence I’m guessing things have changed a lot!

Kryton57

but are all XC racers on 120mm travel now?

No.

ajt123
    Free Member

I think it’s got a lot going for it.

Three things though:

1. With wireless tech, can’t we avoid this mental amount of cables? Or j St put a rear lockout on. The front fork is pretty superfluous.

2. Alloy flex stays. No thanks.

3. 490mm seat tube, 470 reach. They’ve got them mixed up again!

Kryton57

With wireless tech, can’t we avoid this mental amount of cables? Or j St put a rear lockout on. The front fork is pretty superfluous.

I suspect the $13000 version xxxxxooooq1 AXSS or whatever will be.

The front fork is pretty superfluous.

Hmmm?

Clink

2. Alloy flex stays. No thanks.

Used by a few companies before (Kona, Cannondale?) – not aware of issues?

lawman91

So close and yet so far again for Scott. It looks great from afar, but those seat tube lengths are unforgiveable. We have 210mm droppers now, very few folks need their seat tubes to be that long, we’ve moved past this! On the large its only 10mm shorter than on a large Addict, their ROAD BIKE…

The integrated stem cables can sod off as well. they look neat yes, but having seen veteran mechanics pull their hair out with similar setups from Scott and other roadie brands, forget it. IMO, Transition set the 120mm benchmark with the Spur, all they needed to do was hit CTRL + C (they could even have added a rear shock lock out if they had too) and voila, job done. I’m intrigued to try the Spark to see how it rides, but would I own one? Nope.

endomick
    Free Member

I watched their new video on YouTube yesterday called the tech behind the all new spark, surprised how capable this bike is under Nino, XC riders have come a long way since the 90’s, no longer just whippets with big lungs and average bike handling skills, these guys could do well on the enduro scene, I’ll have to start watching XC again. The guys at Scott have some great ideas, design that makes a lotta sense and not just design to be different.

cookeaa

I know we’re living in a brave new world and all, but I can’t help feeling like there is such a thing as too much integration…

In fact I’m not really sure it all counts as “integration” so much as hiding components and cables for the sake of aesthetics…

From the point of view of the home/trailside mechanic, I’m not totally sure a shock hidden inside the frame and inaccessible cables are positives.
    I’m sure it looks great in the showroom, and I’m sure shop mechanics will be looking forwards to defending their labour charges to angry customers, but it’s not exactly a win for serviceability is it?

120mm feels like a general purpose mountain bike with the potential for some XC racing if the user wants, especially with remote lockout as an option, can’t really argue with that IMO.

It looks neat, the format and travel makes sense to me, I’d want to be able to get at the shock and cables myself, I’m not the target market.

Yak

Looks great, as long as everything really is accessible for maintenance and cleaning. Re seat-tube length – looks spot on. Needs to be short, but not so short that you cannot fit 2x 750mm bottles in there. No-one runs more than 100 or 125mm drop on a XC bike anyway.

Nice!

lunge

Look like an eBike with the bulging downtube.

I also agree with many above, looks great in the showroom but will be an absolute sod to work on, as many road bikes with integrated front ends are.

Bet it rides well though.

ads678

Look like an eBike with the bulging downtube.

Was going to say the same. Maybe thats the bike industries plan. They can’t make E-bikes looks like proper bikes, so they’re going to make normal bikes look like E-bikes to try and stop the fat shaming!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Target market right there, thought no-one at Scott R&D

So close and yet so far again for Scott. It looks great from afar, but those seat tube lengths are unforgiveable. We have 210mm droppers now, very few folks need their seat tubes to be that long

It’s a XC race bike, not a Gnarpoon, yes racers are running droppers now, but not 200mm long ones, 65-100mm is about the norm.

Transition set the 120mm benchmark with the Spur

Not an XC race bike though is it.

Maybe a daft question, but are all XC racers on 120mm travel now?

Nope, but as the launch articles say, the bike has been developed with WC level XC courses in mind which are getting more and more technical, just take a look at Stellenbosch WC course, so you can see why they’re doing it like this and given that a 120 SID ultimate or the Fox Factory 34SC barely weigh anymore than their 100mm equivalents, I’d take that extra ‘cush any-day of the week – I’d rather like a 120mm XC fork for my 29er XC race bike, but I haven’t got a spare £1k floating about for a new one.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I want one of the RC models to replace my rigid Cannondale 29er.
    It’d be prefect for me.

lawman91

It’s a XC race bike, not a Gnarpoon, yes racers are running droppers now, but not 200mm long ones, 65-100mm is about the norm.

Transition set the 120mm benchmark with the Spur

Not an XC race bike though is it.

On the RC, yeah a 200mm post is a lot, but still, nice to give people the option? I’m not saying every bike needs a 16 inch seat tube (I have a Spur and thats 460mm on a large, so not super short like others), but it’s nice to give people the option, especially so if you insist on sharing the frame between XC race and trail bike. The Spur might not be an XC race bike per se, but it ain’t far off with XC race tyres fitted I can tell you!

martinhutch

I’m sure it looks great in the showroom, and I’m sure shop mechanics will be looking forwards to defending their labour charges to angry customers, but it’s not exactly a win for serviceability is it?

Looks like all the necessary bolts/valves/lockout cable stops are easily reachable, it just happens to sit behind a plastic panel. If it stops a shock mounted vertically there being lashed with shite non-stop, that’s arguably a maintenance win.

Hopefully they’ve done something sensible for the remote vs dropper cable routing, and designed it to avoid rattles and snags.

BearBack
    Free Member

Used by a few companies

Scott too on some spark models since 2017.

I’m not sure what the obsession is on wanging a massive drop post in a short travel bike is either. Really not essential.

matt_outandabout

It does look like maintenance access has been thought through.

I like the idea of the shock and most pivots being hidden away from crap.

I like the look of these things – I am sure Scotty Laughland will be ripping around Uni Woods filming a ‘here is my new spark’ as we type….

footflaps

I’d buy one tomorrow if I actually road offroad anymore.

Still have my 26″ 1st Gen Spark….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dfkvck]My Steed, Scott Spark RC[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

ferrals
    Free Member

I’d buy one tomorrow if I had the money! Seems like maintenance has been considered quite extensively and it looks great.

I’d also argue that you don’t want a massive drop seatpost on an xc bike, a lot of the time you just want to nudge it down a fraction so you can still sit for a second to recover but its a bit out of the way. even with my 125mm drop post i get annoyed if I’m a bit heavy handed (heavy- bummed??) and it the seat drops too low

squirrelking
    Free Member

Looking forward to the Dangerholm build.

ogden
    Free Member

I’d have one tomorrow if I could afford it, looks ace! The numbers on the ‘trail’ version look pretty slack for an XC type bike which is cool.

Whilst 170-220 droppers are brilliant, I put a 125 on my AM9 for a while when I had an issue with my 170 dropper and can’t say I was ever that bothered by it. More is obvs better though.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

ok stupid question alert – why and whats the advantage ? I’m also on the ‘looks a bit e-bikey” regards aesthetics

matt_outandabout

why and whats the advantage ?

It’s hidden from crap, so less wear.

It’s very low placing of weight.

They can place the shock ‘through’ the frame, opening up different ratios of linkage.

Looks funky.

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

It seems like the prices are the same or similar to the old model too? Still get a 970 bottom spec for £2200 which I’m sure is what the old version cost

Kryton57

The minimum I’d get is the XT team which is the current version of my 2018 RC Team:

https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/scott-spark-rc-team-black-bike?article=286263006

but £4099 for a bike thats already nearly 3lbs heavier than mine for which I paid £2999 plus £199 for some discounted wheels, so to lighten it it’d need new wheels and that wouldn’t do it, yet everything else is integrated so…. I’ve gone backward.

Meh.

On another note, seems the Scott team are riding the new model in Leogang this weekend, I thought they might wait to the Olympics.

tomhoward

Why is stw ignoring the launch of the new evil? Do they not buy enough advertising?

This new Evil?

Evil Insurgent Gets A New Look and Updated Geometry for 2021

dai1983
    Free Member

On the hunt for a 120mm bike that I’ll use for trail centres, xc and the odd xc race. Was waiting for this to come out and looks sweet. Think the rc one is more suited to my use though think I’d struggle with a 150mm dropper on a L. Plus fitting an aftermarket dropper on the lower spec RC seems a PITA as you’d have to get the 3 switch lok as well.

I have an irrational urge for a SID spec Flaremax too but the bottle mount and potential weight puts me off. I imagine it’d be loads better down hill and trail centres but nowhere near as good as the Spark going up.

kelvin

Mmm

That’s the version I was looking at… on a looks/parts/money balance, it’s the one I’d go for (I am not a racer). So sorted. I’m still not sure about hiding air shocks from cooling air flow though. Okay in winter on rolling trails, but in the summer on the mountains? No thanks.

anagallis_arvensis

My mate asked me if I wanted any Scott at trade as he’s doing an order soon…..this thread is not helping!!!

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

There was a fella riding the new spark at Yorkshire marathon today, he didn’t hang about! There was also a Scott van in the parking so maybe he’s a Scott rep. Wasn’t Nick Craig but must be someone connected to have one already? Looked pretty nice though I think I prefer the old style that there were plenty of

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Scott Spark 2022’ is closed to new replies.