• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Scott Scale Jnr 24 Plus – opinion?
  • Earl
    Free Member

Finally narrowed it down to this for my kid.

I can’t find one in the flesh to have a look at – any one out there got one for their kids? Can’t find the ett on the Scott website – how do they size up?

akira

130-145cm is what Scott suggest, not seen one in the flesh though.

lister

I looked at lots of 24″ bikes for my daughter. Decided a mini fat bike would be too draggy for most riding. Ended up with an Orbea MX Trail 24 which is a great bit of kit.
    Sorry, not much use, but do you really need to weigh a young rider down with massive tyres?

(ps, I’m selling a Marin 24″ bike in the classifieds too 😉 )

Earl
    Free Member

THe specs say 2.6 inch which is just under adult half fat. Will have a look at tubeless option too.

Tea tyres will be heaver than std width but I don’t make my kids do endless climbs to earn their turns. They don’t enjoy it and bike2body weight is not on their side. Plenty of time to suffer when they get deep into their teens and beyond. Currently its blue trail/pumptrack and general around having fun.

BearBack
    Free Member

My youngest has a 20 scale plus. Tyres are ~ the same weight as a 20″ 2.8 Specialized big roller and once the 16″ tubes arrive and I try mountain them ghetto tubeless I think they will be no more draggy than regular sized oem tyres. So, 24’s probably iro 850g, so twice a rocket ron, but sub 100g heavier than the tyres on that MX24, but a tremendous amount more traction I’d wager.
    FWIW, I did a photoshop layup of a 24 scale plus, 24 scale RC, Commencal meta ht 24 and a Spawns new Yama Jama. I actually really liked the Scale’s bb drop and much lower standover than the other bikes as my guy is on the small side of things for a 24 wheel. A little longer in the chain stays as it still has a welded mount for a… wait for it.. kickstand..
    also a little steeper but that’ll get fixed adding a sus fork and still slacker out the box that other major brands offerings (Cube, Orbea, Giant etc who are still knocking out 72deg bikes)
    I’d share the image, but I didn’t save it for some unknown reason.

I’m one for changing things though. My kid 20 has carbon bars, short stem, 122mm cranks with 30tn/w, zee mech, saint shifter and 11-36t cassette, avid bb7’s.
    If I can get a scale 24 for the bigger kid i’d do the same and add an air fork.
    As is, out the box, it is still a pretty well spec’d and great looking bike with few better than it for less money.

Earl
    Free Member

Thanks BlackBear – it sounds all good

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Scott Scale Jnr 24 Plus – opinion?’ is closed to new replies.