Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Scott Scale – 26er or 29er
  • beas1981
    Free Member

I’m about to but a new XC bike for general riding but also with the potential as a racer if I decide to have a go at that. I’ve settled on a Scott Scale.

I know I should test ride to make my mind up but nowhere near me is offering that and I’m in a hurry to take advantage of the sale prices on 2013 bikes!

I don’t want a full on 29er debate but I was just wondering what people thought. I’m quite happy with a 26 wheel but in my vanity I always think an XL (which I need) looks silly with relatively small wheels! An XL 29er looks well proportioned. I’m also just up for a change. I’m not a particularly fast rider and not that skilful to be honest. I mostly ride Swinley. All my mates are saying stick with 26 but I’m quite keen on a 29er. Will I regret big wheels on slightly technical trails or is the lack of mobility on a 29er over-hyped by people loyal to 26. It also looks to me that the 29ers aren’t really that much heavier? I’m also conscious that 29ers are so popular how they must be more than just marketing hype…?!

Anyone riden both Scale 920 and Scale 620?

crosshair
    Free Member

In true forum fashion, I haven’t ridden a scale 620.
    I have ridden a 920 though when mine was being serviced and ‘mine’ is a 920 Spark.
    The 920 scale is an Xc eating machine! Don’t even think about whether the 620 is ‘better’, just look how lush the 920 is 😀

It’s not just talk, they are slightly less eager to turn than a 26″ but you’ll soon get used to muscling it about. They are also seriously fast bikes.

mboy
    Free Member

To be honest, if you were 5ft10 like me, needing a medium sized bike, I’d be saying it’s all about whether you want a slightly more playful bike or one that covers the ground the quickest.

If you’re tall enough to need an XL sized bike, I’m not sure there’s an argument left any more these days!

A good modern 29er has none of the traditional 29er drawbacks, as long as you’re tall enough for the wheel size not to be much of an issue.

26″ wheels still have their place, and 650b is rapidly filling up the middle ground of those that don’t really know what they want, but for guys like yourself… Seriously, just buy the 29er! You will not be disappointed…

…regret big wheels on slightly technical trails…

…lack of mobility on a 29er…

…they are slightly less eager to turn than a 26″…

…as long as you’re tall enough for the wheel size…

…650b is rapidly filling up the middle ground…

Even by the standards of 26er v 29er threads, I’m impressed by the number of cliches that have made it in to only the first three posts.

Well done, lets have a few more.

beas1981
    Free Member

Ha! Yeah, fair play.

As I said, I’ve done all the research and read all the threads. It was so much easier when there wasn’t a choice!

toons
    Free Member

The 29er will turn you into the rider you want to be!

You really should test ride them, reckon it’ll be worth the drive to put your mind at ease. But switching to a 29er does take a few rides to adjust/get used to.

Good luck with your purchase

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Go for the 29er. they’re not less eager to turn. I used to have a C’Dale Flash Alloy 29er and it turned on a sixpence and was lightning quick at changing direction. It was a very efficient XC bike, more like riding a road bike off road. Absolutely no downsides for the larger wheel size.

allthepies
    Free Member

Well done, lets have a few more.

We have a winner.

khani
    Free Member

29er, They bring everything to life!!!
    Which is a pain in the arse when you ride through a cemetery..

ljs1977
    Free Member

I normally stay out of these sort of debates. But all I can say is ride one.

I went on a Scott demo this year and rode a 9 series scale (it was a cheaper one at that), loved it.

So much so I sold my 26″ full suss and bought a 920, I haven’t looked back.

The only issue is, I’m so content with my bike I have stopped looking at new bikes, upgrades, and buying bike mags. Which is part of the sport :).

It has changed my riding, I’m not bothered about riding the biggest drops etc etc, it’s all about the XC I’m happy doing 40 miles, which I never thought I’d say seen as when I started biking I was nearly 20st now 15!

By the way it’s more than happy at trail centres too!

Hope this helps.

NormalMan

I’m not a Scott owner but am a 29er convert.

It certainly sounds like it would suit you.

mboy
    Free Member

Even by the standards of 26er v 29er threads, I’m impressed by the number of cliches that have made it in to only the first three posts.

You’ve clearly not read many wheel size debate threads on this forum then Graham if you think this thread is doing well! 😕

I’ll qualify my “if you’re tall enough” statement by saying as long as your inside leg is longer than 29″, then it’s worth considering a 29er. If you’re short enough that your inside leg is smaller than the wheel diameter, the wheels are probably too big for the size of bike needed in truth.

And for the “650b filling up the middle ground” comment… Go up to the NEC for the bike show, you’ll see what I mean. You or I may not want it, but the manufacturers are lapping up consumer indecision and 650b is everywhere now and being used to take advantage of the “26 vs 29” debate. It’s happening, FAST!

bikeind
    Free Member

it must be the 29!!!

Fantastic bike that for all purpose mountain- trail riding one of which I suggest to my customers alot
    Makes the ridng fun and fast in one purpose package
    All purpose

radoggair
    Free Member

I’ll qualify my “if you’re tall enough” statement by saying as long as your inside leg is longer than 29″, then it’s worth considering a 29er. If you’re short enough that your inside leg is smaller than the wheel diameter, the wheels are probably too big for the size of bike needed in truth.

The biggest pile of tosh written in a while. From someone who is 5ft 7, a 29er rides better than a 26er equivalent.

I ride a scale 900SL, its a fantastic bike to the point where its something i wont be changing for a while.

scale

mboy
    Free Member

From someone who is 5ft 7, a 29er rides better than a 26er equivalent.

I’m 5ft10, my inside leg is 32.5″. Looking at that photo, I’m gonna say your inside leg is longer than 29″! My point stands…

radoggair
    Free Member

i’m a 28″ inside leg. Your point doesn’t stand

grtdkad

Go for it.

I’m 5’10 and have a medium Scale 26er and it’s fantastic but it just sounds like as a XL rider that the 29er may be more ‘fitting’…

shortcut

Gotta be 29er given height. XL 26er just are wrong.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Scott Scale – 26er or 29er’ is closed to new replies.