Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Scott randsom for a slow rider on the rising curve. Bad idea?
  • juan
    Free Member

Well the SO has decided she needs a new bike (no actually I as stupid enough to lend her my meta and now she says she doesn’t want hers any more).

Being, first on a budget, second faithful to our LBS the two choices are either a brand new kona tanuki frame or the LBS owner’s scott randsom frame.
    So far the SO prefers the look of the Tanuki, but would be quit happy with the weight benefit of the randsom.
    however I am wondering is the randsom isn’t the kind of bike that can only be ridden hard?

Obviously, she’ll test ride the later but still I’d love some insight.

br
    Free Member

It’ll be a good ‘skill-compensator’…, and yes, when she does crashes it’ll be hard and fast.

Been there (S-Works Enduro), done that.

juan
    Free Member

Ok not sure I have made myself clear. Will the scott be ok for someone riding slow? Wouldn’t it feel too sluggish?

TimP
    Free Member

It (the Ransom) is OK if you reduce the rear travel for going along and up. Mine was base model (old Al one so if not sure how the later carbon and AL ones compare as geo did change a bit) so the forks weighed a ton and I really felt it on the ups. It is also pretty long (I fell off some woodwork as the back wheel wasn’t where I expected it to be). I loved it going downhill, but it was always a bit of a grind getting to the top

neil853
    Free Member

is it the carbon one? If it is then it’ll be a much more usable weight. The alloy one is far from light.

I had a carbon one for three years, only reason I changed it as I wante a lighter/shorter travel bike. Very capable bike IMO

juan
    Free Member

Going to the top won’t be a problem as it will be kitted fairly light (1700g pair of wheels, xtr rear mech, AMSL fork so probably getting around the 13 kg mark) it’s more going down that worries me. The SO is going rather slow, she’s technically very good but she won’t be travelling at speed, so I fear the scott will be good only when you go down hard and fast.

br
    Free Member

I suspect if she just wants a FS but just wants to ride, she’d be far better with something like an Anthem X.

But how tall/heavy is your SO?

neil853
    Free Member

The Ransom is a relatively plush bike, I would think it’ll be fine for the smaller/lighter rider. I rode mine for the MM 24 hr events, the alps and other xc events. Depends on price though, they don’t command a lot……

juan
    Free Member

Ok it’s either the tanuki or the Scott. She already has a FS but after trying mine she says (and she’ll be right) her doesn’t work as well. She’s about 1.63m and 55 kg

turbo1397
    Free Member

As a few peeps have mentioned , it will be a bit of a slog uphill but great on the way down.. i had an alu one but kitted out with xtr and X0 spec stuff.. still weighed quite a lot, if you could get your hands on the ransom ltd it would prob be better..

juan
    Free Member

Cheers, but as I have said I want to know if the bike is going to feel sluggish DOWNHILL for a non fast rider on the learning curve. I don’t care how the bike react uphill. It’s how agile and nimbly the bike is downhill I am more interested in.

turbo1397
    Free Member

not a bike i would call nimble..

jay_tht
    Free Member

Juan I have a carbon one and have to say I do like it alot, I say it befine for what you want.. I had a couple problems with rear shock when I first got the bike some 4/5 years ago.. My bike is about 32.6 lbs it climbs well and is fun on the downs slow or fast..

If you local to us you welcome to have a go its a small frame..

If not is there away of you getting a test ride on it before you buy.? To see what you think of it..

Jay

juan
    Free Member

Well we’ll be test riding it. Problem is, it won’t be where the SO want to test ride it and I am sure it will be a nightmare (because she is already scaring herself about it, and she says this particular trail isn’t good to test ride the bike). But we’ll see worst case scenario we’ll get the tanuki.

sunnrider
    Free Member

I put together a carbon ransom last year and it is a bit of a pig uphill (I´ve got heavy tyres on) but it does give plenty of traction.

Downhill it´s given me confidence to take on stuff at speed that I used to walk around/chicken run through. It´s a very comfortable bike to ride. I don´t know that you´d call it agile as I haven´t got much to compare it to but there´s plenty of vids with pros flicking and whipping ransoms about on youtube.

Get the hang of switching through the shock modes and it will handle pretty much anything.

juan
    Free Member

cheers sunnrider, i’ll try and see if I can borrow the bike for more than just a day though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Scott randsom for a slow rider on the rising curve. Bad idea?’ is closed to new replies.