Scott Marathon Series – Bike Choice?

• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by  cokie.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Scott Marathon Series – Bike Choice?
  • Premier Icon mccraque
    Subscriber

Decided to have a dabble in Llandovery this May…the 100km route. Completely unsure of what the usual sort of terrain would be and what the best choice of bike is? What do most people ride here? I’m doing the 100km option if that makes any difference?!

dyls

A hardtail 29 is what I would use. I once used a 29er giant anthem but the courses sre not generally rough enough imo.

Premier Icon Speshpaul
    Subscriber

29er hardtail or Xc ish FS. Its a 100k so for most of us its about confort. If its about a time for you, then you already know its a 29er hardtail:-)

astormatt

It makes no difference….just ride whatever you feel most comfortable and confident on…

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

What is the terrain at Llandovery?

steve_b77

What is the terrain at Llandovery?

Gnarlier than Builth is what I’d expect and for 100km there’s no way I wouldn’t ride a 100mm XC FS

Premier Icon mccraque
    Subscriber

Gnarlier than Builth is what I’d expect and for 100km there’s no way I wouldn’t ride a 100mm XC FS

The 100mm FS is missing from my quiver!

I’ve a Stumpy which is likely to be overkill, or a plus sized Solaris. Which is what I am thinking…

steve_b77

I’ve a Stumpy which is likely to be overkill, or a plus sized Solaris. Which is what I am thinking…

All depends on if you’re put for a ride, or out to put in a good time

Premier Icon mccraque
    Subscriber

I won’t be clad in lycra or troubling the podium.

dyls

The ones that I have done have a mixture of tarmaced roads, farm track type surfacing, grassy tracks, footpaths,forest fire roads, etc, nothing technical at all. The climbing is more difficult than the downhills.

Although I havent done the one your doing.

For something like the DyfiEnduro I’d recommend a short full suss though,

I’ve done them on a 100mm FS and even a full series on a rigid before. A different challenge but I enjoyed it on both bikes.

Premier Icon heebyjeeby
    Subscriber

Perhaps unsurprisingly you see a lot of scott scales and sparks.

If you are not looking to trouble the podium I would not worry as you will see all sorts.

Personally I rode my Tallboy 3 but I am not a podium troubler either 🙂

Premier Icon cokie
    Subscriber

I did the 100km on my Whyte T129. It was overkill.
    If I had the choice, it would be a 29er XC FS, like the Anthem.
    I’d want some comfort over than distance

Premier Icon mccraque
    Subscriber

I’ll take the Solaris with balloon tyres then. It’s a bit more comfy than the 29 HT and I can happily ride it all day.

Anyone know how much climbing there is in the 100km ?

Premier Icon cokie
    Subscriber

My one in Wantage was 9,800ft. Not sure about this event though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.