• This topic has 25 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mashr.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Scott Genius goes down the hidden shock route
  • Ben_Haworth

Following on from their stunning Spark with the hidden rear shock, here’s details of the new Scott Genius with the same sort of tech wizardry.

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

Scott Genius goes down the hidden shock route

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

Jordan

Where did that geo table come from? The press release says HTA 64/65 deg. The table says 67deg.

weeksy

Well yes, that is genius! It’ll keep the shock lasting a bit longer that’s for sure. I like

ads678

Are they just trying to make all bikes look like e-bikes so e-bikes don’t seem so ugly?

submarined
    Free Member

Hark, is that the sound of collective bike mechanics looking at that, and not being sure whether to cry into their coffee, or celebrate the minimum 4 hours workshop charge to do anything involving cables or hoses?

It’s like a greatest hits of the worst things to work on.

gavalar
    Free Member

It’s a Bold, all Scott did was buy the brand and stick a Scott sticker on it, and why do Scott insist on throwing a tin of spaghetti at the cockpit, unescessary.

roger_mellie

Are they just trying to make all bikes look like e-bikes so e-bikes don’t seem so ugly?

It certainly does look a) ugly and b) like an e-bike.

andylc
    Free Member

Other than making it more difficult to adjust, service etc it also removes the aesthetic of a nice looking rear shock. The advantage being,,,,???

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Bottom of the want list. Proprietary bullshit everywhere!

Ben_Haworth

@Jordan Oops! Inserted the geo table for the Orbea OIz by mistake. Soz. Correct geo chart in there now. Thanks for spotting! #facepalm

vinnyeh

Where are they going to put the motor?

Presumably they’ll want to retain such a worthy innovation for the electric version?

The number of dead ends that Scott’s been down over the decades…..

zerocool

I dislike the headset routing and extra controls on the bars much more than the hidden shock. I think it looks quite nice but 5he triple controller and headset counts me out.

fossy

FFS

fossy

It’s a farkin MTB, it needs working on regular. Lets sell this to the golfers… whoops, no motor in this monster…

thols2

Other than making it more difficult to adjust, service etc it also removes the aesthetic of a nice looking rear shock. The advantage being,,,,???

My thoughts exactly.

BearBack
    Free Member

The number of dead ends that Scott’s been down over the decades…..

Go on?

Scott launched the 3 stage remote activated carbon Genius platform in 2003, albeit with a pull shock until the v3 launch in 2013 (US Horst patent expiration). The v2 generation included the LT which pushed the mainstream brands for slack HA numbers..the LT like the rest of their bikes have typically always been amongst the lightest bikes in their travel range.

The v1 ransom 2006-2010 was the only other bike to have a proprietary shock but it was a push shock and you could swap out the equalizer for an rp23 with a small aircan. Again lightest bikes in their class by a margin.

Not sure what other dead ends there have been, or if the trac/twin lock with dual chamber suspension could be considered a dead end as it been around for 20 years, hopefully with no plans of them stopping.
    Can’t say internal/headset routing, or one piece bars/stems are dead ends either when other brands offer the same

I’ve rose tinted glasses though so might easily be missing some brand clangers?

qwerty
    Free Member

It’s shock in

nickc

All that internal routing and no end to end guides? just foam padding?

Get in the sea.

stwhannah

In the mad rush of yesterday, I think the video was overlooked: https://youtu.be/oFut-_pt4xU

ndthornton
    Free Member

They have gone to great lengths to hide a component that looks cool and never needs servicing. Every time I have removed an air can its been immaculate inside (Fox shocks mainly).

Put a box around the cassette and forks next time 🙂

That said it does like quite cool actually (In a time of really fugly bikes)
    The cockpit is awful though

dyna-ti

A good idea.

sillyoldman

Not enough levers.

rudedog
    Free Member

Love the Twinloc on my genius, could not care less about the ‘look’ of a cockpit, it’s not something I spend a lot of time worrying about when I’m riding my bike.

DickBarton

Sounds like the adjusting head angle is exactly the same as you’d do on a normal bike – adjust the angles and reassemble with no cables needing cut there either…

It looks decent in my Function over Form mind, but I really don’t like the hidden shock or internal cable headaches…appeals to me as something to look at like a poster on a wall, but will be an absolute nightmare to maintain.

stevedoc
    Free Member

I like the clean look and value the keeps s**T of the shock and bearings in winter slop .. But daft money 5 years on the frame. no bearing support and would be a bith to work on.. Dragons den mode … Im out !

mashr

But daft money 5 years on the frame. no bearing support and would be a bith to work on..

Remember to add “proprietary shock” to your list

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.