Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Scots: how do you pronounce ‘midge’?
  • SaxonRider

Mrs SR and our daughter have just returned from camping and hiking around Ben Nevis.

We are all now debating how to pronounce ‘midge’. Apparently, some people say ‘midg-ee’, which just sounds silly to my ear.

So, what is it? Midge? Or Midg-ee?

fruitbat

Midge – as in Midge Ure of Ultravox….

Underhill
    Free Member

Mijjy

perchypanther
    Free Member

Midgey

It’s pronounced Ya-wee-bassa

bruneep

scotroutes

Either is correct.

Midge is fine. Usually I’d refer to multiple as midgies. But then we might also say “it’s a bit midgie”. And sometimes refer to them as “the midge”.

scotroutes

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jxpSFW]00002[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Click on the link for the full horror 🙂

donald
    Free Member

midg-ee

downshep

Midgee or Midgies, as the wee feckers rarely work alone.

grum
    Free Member

Mijj singular and mijjees plural IME, but as above they’re never really singular

molgrips
    Free Member

I think midgie is a cute pet name like doggie isn’t it?

They are midges.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I think midgie is a cute pet name like doggie isn’t it?

They are midges little flying arseholes.

FTFY. Think more Weegie than doggy.

Midgie and Midgies, never heard anyone refer to them as midges.

seosamh77
    Free Member

mij-jy

plural – mij-jeez

singular – mij.

Actually edit, above was right, didn’t read, more like a double J, but first yin quieter, more emphasis on the second.

seosamh77
    Free Member

btw, there’s not really such a thing as a mij. There’s always millions of the wee bastards! 😆

timbog160

Deep joy! Heading to Appin with the trailer tent on Saturday 😂 got midge hoods, bulk supply of Skin so Soft and eternal hope..!

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Midgie/midgies.

Midge/midges is something I’ve only heard in an English accent.

Rona

Midgies here – and, as others have said, I’ve never had cause to refer to them in the singular.

scotroutes – I’m itchy just looking at that – makes me want to stay indoors forever 😫

jimmy

Have heard a few forinners say “midgets”. Gets me every time.

NZCol

The Mij. Or The Fckn Mij.
    Smidge is your friend.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Best of luck timbog, Saturday on rannoch moor was the worst I’ve ever seen them, we were still being eaten alive going over the devil’s staircase at 10pm.

ElShalimo

Are they particularly bad this year?

Our is it just that the weather system we recently enjoyed meant there wasn’t much of a breeze?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m not sure we get good or bad years tbh, conditions are the big factor. Saturday was warm, had been damp overnight, and there wasn’t a breath of wind.

Perfect storm.

matt_outandabout

Midge: pronunciation: Bar-st-ards

scotroutes

According to the Midge Forecast folks, numbers are up by around 25% on last year.

Good news? There’s a likelihood of snow on some of the mountains next week.

grum
    Free Member

That midge forecast site is funny. Most of the west coast is a pretty much constant 5/5

DickBarton

Needs a real cold snap that last about 4 weeks in winter as the freezing kills them off. I was trailbuilding in January and February and lifting up the carpet of the ground vegetation and they were swarming all over me. We didn’t really get a cold winter so there are likely to be more of them.

I do miss the 4 distinct sessions of old, they really did sort the country out for the next session!

swavis

Another for Midg-ee, although our Speyside ones are a little less ferocious than the west coast ones, not by much though. I once abandoned a mate who punctured on Ben Aigen as they were horrendous and I was starting to go mad, I was beginning to contemplate murder with a minipump…

richmtb

Yep Mij-ee

Incidentally there were hunners of the wee bastards at Glentress on Sunday, its not a place I normally bother using any repellent, but the bites on my forearms and legs say otherwise.

thegreatape
    Free Member

This week is the first time they’ve bothered me this year, but they’re certainly making up for lost time.

Smidge beats SSS hands down.

I once abandoned a mate who punctured on Ben Aigen

It’s accepted practice in group rides up here that if you puncture and there’s midges out you’re on your own.

hugo
    Free Member

Mosquito

scotroutes

DickBarton

Mosquito are rather pleasant compared to the midges…mozzies tend to be lower numbers, midges are counted by the thousands…we also don’t appear to have (m)any mozzies in this country, I don’t think (apart from the ones in old wartime aircraft museums) – do we?

Rona

scotroutes – ^ 😱

james-rennie

Just consulted wife from fife, she agrees mijj singular, and mijjees plural.
    That thing Scotroutes just posted is scary and making me itch 🙁

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Mid-jay-bas-turdss. Would be a west coast lilt.

stevie750

Yes

poly
    Free Member

We had to release extra this month because Boris was coming…

faerie
    Free Member

Have heard a few forinners say “midgets”. Gets me every time.

Are you sure they’re no talking about the people?

bainbrge

Is there a reason why they are so prevalent? I know damp conditions are required, so is part of the issue that the Scots landscape is often managed for shooting? I.e if forest was reintroduced instead of boggy moorland they would naturally have less habitat? Think I read that nematode worms had been tried as a predator for the larvae, but tilting at windmills if it’s really all about the landscape itself?

scotroutes

FWIW we have several types of mosquitos too.

It’s true that the secret underground midge factory has been putting in extra hours this year in an attempt to control the high number of tourists. For those that don’t know, it’s within the foothills of Ben Nevis. A few regularly escape before being shipped off to other parts of the country which is why there are so many around Fort William

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Scots: how do you pronounce ‘midge’?’ is closed to new replies.