Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • scotoiler UBS first timer…which bike and how ?
  • iainc

Ok, I got a starter pack of this to try out. MTB’s are on Squirt at present, road and tourer on Progold. I guess its a full degrease and then liberal apply, wipe and ride ?

How effective is it on road bikes vs MTB ?

reedspeed
    Free Member

Where did you buy it from iainc ?,I’ve been looking locally & no ones got any round ere !

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes, proper degrease – I shoved mine in a bottle of white spirit and shook it loads, rinsed then dried on the radiator – and just apply it once you’ve got the chain back on. I drip it onto the top so it’s going into the links rather than the outside. It’ll drip a lot when you apply it but don’t worry about that. I think its great, my drivetrain is so clean despite just getting a spray of Muc Off and a tickle with a brush, although I do do this after every ride.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Clean every trace of existing lube of everything then just spray the drivetrain or whole bike. It’s best to put some in a dropper bottle for the chain otherwise you can end up wasting loads. Get yourself a brush (I use s dustpan bush) and when you want to clean it just hide down and scrub and 1 minute later marvel at your spotless drivetrain. Best really a few hours before riding as it last longer than applying before riding and it may be worth carrying a small bottle to reapply on a long or very wet ride. Sound like a faff but the positives by far out weigh the negatives.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I think its great, my drivetrain is so clean despite just getting a spray of Muc Off and a tickle with a brush, although I do do this after every ride.

So it’s clean, despite being cleaned every time you use it..?
    Is this cleaner than it was before?

iainc

Thanks for tips. I got it online from scotoiler as a starter pack – big bottle with a spray and a wee bottle too.

thegreatape
    Free Member

🙂 fair comment

There’s never any black gunk – lube+dust I assume – on the chain, cassette or jockey wheels like there used to be with other lubes, so no need to get on there with a toothbrush or whatever to get all that gunk off. So yeah, I spray and rinse the bike each time, mainly to remove mud, but that’s all it needs.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

May have to give this a shot, as RnR has been pulled.

iainc

Aye, going to try it on road and tourer first as have loads of Squirt which I get on with well on MTB.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Are there any deals on anywhere ??,to say everyones raving about it on here you’d think you could actually buy it everywhere, especially on a promo somewhere !.

Scottoiler are missing a trick there !!

iainc

^^^^ the starter pack is on their website as a special offer, with free postage, that’s where I got mine

here

STATO
    Free Member

I got some on the last PSA and have been using since beginning of the year, its ok but not much use for commuting or long rides in mixed weather. Tends to wash off very easily, so a wet spell without re-application leaves the chain lube free. i.e any rain on the commute in, or while bike is locked up outside (no cover), means i have a squeeky return ride. Ive been applying every morning or evening too. Does make cleaning the bike super quick and easy tho.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bought a Litre of FS365 from my local motor bike place, gonna try that, IIRC Glasgowdan uses that, and rides in the same conditions as I do. For 8 quid, it’s worth a go.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Is fs365 the same stuff ?,as I’ve got some o that from mi motorbiking days !.

I always thought that smelt a bit like the cutting /lube that engineers in machine shops used !.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

They’re based at the start of the WHW, drop in and pay cash if you want to know where stocks it! Ubs is slightly different to fs but v similar.

My routine is wash bike with hose after a ride, spray drivechain with FS while wet (just because i can’t be arsed sitting around waiting for things to dry) and dab on some basic lube, put bike away. I don’t add anything just before the next ride. It’s always clean and i never have to brush or scrub the chain/cassette to get them gleaning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘scotoiler UBS first timer…which bike and how ?’ is closed to new replies.