Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Scotland West Coast 2-3 Day MTB Route
  • andykirk
    Free Member

Myself and two friends were wanting to do the West Highland Way by bike… trouble is 2 of us live in Aberdeen and getting to Fort William for the off is a real faff. Is there a similar say 3 day route on the West Coast or anything that starts nearer to Aberdeen? i.e minimal roads and easily navigable so we won’t get lost? It will be B+B accommodation en route. Thanks for any help.

km79
    Free Member

I would be looking at the Cairngorms instead of passing by them to get to Fort William for the WHW.

andykirk
    Free Member

Oh Lord.

I did of course mean EAST COAST route.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

I’d agree totally with KM79. Email me mtbguiding@gmail.com if you want some more info?

scotroutes

An outer Cairngorm Loop starting and finishing at Braemar would reduce your driving time. Blair Atholl and Aviemore for accommodation.

Or start at Aviemore/Nethy/Grantown (according to desire/fitness) and head down the Speyside Way, along the Moray Coast and back up the Dava Way. All pretty much well signposted. Various stopovers possible.

dragon
    Free Member

Do the Deeside line to the Cairngorms then take your pick. Or Angus Glens to Aviemore and back?

Also not the most exciting but you can cycle up to Fraserbrough / Peterhead on the old railway line.

cosmokramer
    Free Member

We did an Eastern Gorms / Angus loop at the weekend…Dinnet > Muick > Capel Rd Glen Doll/Clova > Edzell > Tarfside > Fungle > Aboyne > Dinnet. Good landy tracks and minor farm roads…dossed in a couple of bothies but you could probably find hotels / B&B’s to suit

highlandman
    Free Member

With 2 or 3 days to play with, I’d def consider a Gorms circuit as above. A good mix of terrain and a proper feeling of ‘journey’.
    Trail conditions are generally pretty good at the moment.

When doing a Cairngorm loop, it’s not essential to go right down into Aviemore, as from a biking perspective, stopping in bothies or at Glenmore Lodge are both viable. Glenmore does B&B, has grub and a bar. What else could you need..? Allows you to plan to come out of Feshie, straight into Rothiemurchus and along the Jack Drake bothy trail to Morlich.
    After Glenmore & Ryvoan, you have choices; as it’s the more rocky and techy route, I’d not go Lairig an Laoigh if carrying bothy/bivvy kit though. The lighter option (but further) is to go to Tomintoul and up Glen Avon instead, passing Loch Builg, Cullardoch and popping out near Braemar.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Scotland West Coast 2-3 Day MTB Route’ is closed to new replies.