Scotland route advice. Forsinan, Altnabreac, Westerdale…

Home Forum Bike Forum Scotland route advice. Forsinan, Altnabreac, Westerdale…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Scotland route advice. Forsinan, Altnabreac, Westerdale…
  • butcher

Is this do-able on a road bike?

Obviously not ideal. But it looks relatively smooth from images I can find. Just an unpaved road.

Passable with care? Or best to avoid. 28mm tyres.

towzer

You can get a Motorhome to p at just w of strathmore lodge, we looped p, dalnawillan, altnabreac – bench for Sarnies at station, p , on mtb, Land Rover/forestry tracks, wan’t much mud, gravel, stones etc don’t remember any hideousness. Don’t know about other bit, if you do could you post back pls. Imho doable (*bit we did)but take care, inner tubes and patches,

butcher

That’s how it looks from the images. So that’s promising. But looks like it might not hold up so well when wet?

towzer

No it’s mainly gravel/stones and an ‘easy’ land rover track, there were some puddles but they were avoiadableish, not sure about the bit we didn’t, do tho, from what I can remember there was one short bit that might mud up

Do a search as people on here have gravelled these tracks and I,m pretty sure it was blogged ?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/north-scotland-gravel-adventure

butcher

Yeah, had a look at that other thread. But good difference between gravel bike and road bike, so hard to tell…

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

I’ve ridden much of it on my general purpose bike with its slick Big Apples, although usually on retro rides with my 1×1,

But it’s nothing that would have deterred me on a road bike.

Click on these pics and you’ll get the general idea

Lots of big sky, and plenty time to see the weather coming. 🙂

butcher

Cheers. That’s reassuring.

jate

In June we rode Dunbeath – Altna Breac – Westerdale and then back on the minor road to the east of the A9. We used gravel bikes (Niner RLT9 and GT Grade) and it was a great day out. It is pretty good 4×4 track the whole way with some largish puddles south of Altna Breac. Decent tyres are really the only requirement.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.