• This topic has 7,712 replies, 199 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,681 through 3,720 (of 7,713 total)
  • Scotland Indyref 2
  • chewkw
    Free Member

scoob67 – Member
    Chewk has arisen – puts kettle on.

Also, 1st Minister Sturgeon should always get more words in about Scottish being mistreated etc when being interviewed. Then she should try to speak continuously (no breathing ) without giving the fake media reporters chance to ask follow up the next question. Speak slowly and pause a bit then continue speaking, coz that will definitely show greatness. 😛

beinbhan – Member
    Chewk is a slavering **** idiot

Freedommm … 😛

edit:

Then she should hammer the Scottish people for independence as much as possible.

I mean hammer those Scottish people that refuse independence and side with the rest of UK.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Though for statistical optimism you really have to admire the Labour person who claimed that Labour did well in Glasgow because their percentage vote share was up on 2015

I heard Dianne Abbott claimed they won 20,000 seats in Scotland.

On the other hand there may actually be some momentum for the tories

Scotland has generally been conservative (little c) and votes only changed after Thatcher (whether she deserved the blame or not is another debate, which could last another 100 pages).

With Labour in disarray and the Conservatives not being as toxic as they once were, it isn’t entirely surprising that the Tory vote is up. That it appears, on the face of it, to be Labour votes they are picking up is curious (unless Labour are going to the SNP and SNP voters are going to the Tories).

scotroutes

I’ve seen reports that first preference votes for the SNP are up 70k on 2012 but not seen the data.

BruceWee

With friends like these…

In other news (or lack of it), I’m tempted to pull a sickie tomorrow and stay home and just add up the popular vote myself. I might even do a BBC and apply a secret algorithm to it.

scotroutes

Religious fanatics getting involved in a fight against independence – we know where that could go.

Northwind

So now we have a new definition of “win” which means you have to increase your victory to be considered winning. I look forward to transferring this to other things- presumably if the next indyref is 46/54 that’ll be a victory for Yes. And next time Scotland play England, if we lose by 3 goals or less that’s a win too. OK so that one might be harder to deliver.

The Tories had a good day in the important battle for best loser though and I wouldn’t like to take anything away from them there.

rene59
    Free Member

…and friends like these.

No vetting in the Tory party or are they just desperate enough to take in anyone?

somafunk

There’s a long standing Tory councillor called Graham Bell (link here) that’s been re-elected to his N-W Dumfries seat, needless to say he’s a very rich farmer, his father is a very-very rich ex farmer and like father like son they are both horrendously racist, incredibly homophobic and an utter prick of the highest order. Par for the Tory party then

scotroutes

BruceWee – Member

In other news (or lack of it), I’m tempted to pull a sickie tomorrow and stay home and just add up the popular vote myself. I might even do a BBC and apply a secret algorithm to it

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-39846268

dragon
    Free Member

All parties have wrong-uns unfortunately, the SNP and Labour have had a few idiots as well over the years. Thankfully the majority from all the major parties are just trying to do a decent job as they see fit.

epicyclo

The Neanderthals of the Orange Order are threatening violence.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Check the date…

We had the Scottish National Liberation Army raising its head around then too (and don’t forget the 55 group if you want to dig up history).

**** on both sides. Don’t let them define your side of the argument and don’t assume that they define the other.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Brilliant, a massive boost to the Yes campaign getting those Orange Farkwits on board the No campaign.

piemonster

The Neanderthals of the Orange Order are threatening violence.

We’ll, at least it’s in the right century 😉

Be good to see some different articles? on the vote analysis published by the Beeb. And I’m right in thinking the delay is nothing to do with the MSM but all to do with ES?

Staff conference today so plenty of spare time to mooch about the internet looking for different takes on the results.

piemonster

Brilliant, a massive boost to the Yes campaign getting those Orange Farkwits on board the No campaign.

You’d think, but I’m not convinced these ******* will be enough to tip the balance.

I mean, people actually voted them in!

epicyclo

Ah well no need to worry about the Orange Order after all.

Looks like they are going to be packing out the churches every Sunday (unless there’s a game on). The ministers will no doubt be delighted to teach them about the 11th commandment…

kimbers

I suppose a return to sectarianism is more likely since the divisive nature of Brexit, especially as it’s morphed into the hardest possible Tory version of brexshit

piemonster

Divide and rule

piemonster

@Epic

That twitter account agrees that the BBC is biased. Not in the direction you think it is admittedly. FWIW I don’t consider it (BBC) impartial, although l like to see proof before assuming an article has an unfair agenda, and also before believing what its trying to tell me.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The SNP, the onky nationalist party that’s not right wing. Somehow, according to its supporters. Le Pen has more left wing policies than Macron (£50bn austerity, labour law reforms, cut civil service by 120,000 …)

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

SNP planning meeting:

Brexit – didn’t work
    ‘Rainbow’ Tories accusations – didn’t work, people misunderstood and voted tory.
    “rape clause” – seen through, maybe we should have got false offended a few years ago when the legislation was first proposed?
    Whats left? – We haven’t plumbed the divisive depths of sectarianism yet?

Why don’t we accuse the other side of being a bunch of big orangemen while ignoring the pro IRA people we have as SNP politicians?

This can only end well! Run with it!

epicyclo

eat_the_pudding – Member
    …Why don’t we accuse the other side of being a bunch of big orangemen while ignoring the pro IRA people we have as SNP politicians?..

I don’t recall the IRA having marches through assorted cities of Scotland like the Orange Order does.

Can you name the SNP IRA politicians?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Just leave it out of the conversation either end. It’s not useful.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seosamh77 +1

grumpysculler
    Free Member

+2

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sturgeon was left with rather a lot of egg on her face today attempting to mis-quote a leaked letter on fisheries post Brexit. How sad for her.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Oh look jambas trying to get a bite! 😆

gordimhor

@ jamba If that’s a fact you should be able to empathise with her given your vast experience.

tjagain

Correct Jamba -( your earlier comment) The SNP is the only nationalist party that I know of that is centrist, social democratic and espouses civic nationalism not blood and soil.
    Something those of you that don’t live here seem to have trouble understanding.

“It’s not where we came from that’s important, it’s where we’re going together.”

Bashir Ahmed to the SNP conference.

piemonster

Something those of you that don’t live here seem to have trouble understanding.

I think he understands it, but chooses to ignore it and claim the opposite.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

centrist, social democratic

While that is what they badge themselves, it isn’t a description I recognise. They are more populist than anything else. They do less that is truly centrist and instead pick from both left and right to try and appeal across the spectrum. Left and right wing policies don’t combine to make a centrist party.

civic nationalism not blood and soil

For the party in their current incarnation, yes. For many of their followers, the opposite seems to be the case. If sectarianism is rearing its ugly head again, its because the SNP and the associated movement have sown the seeds of division and hatred.

It’s not where we came from that’s important, it’s where we’re going together

Rather ironic for a party that has division as its primary objective.

selkirkbear
    Free Member

I don’t recall the IRA having marches through assorted cities of Scotland like the Orange Order does.
    Can you name the SNP IRA politicians?

How about Allan Casey, Parliamentary Assistant to SNP MSP Ivan McKee http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15102373.Revealed__picture_of_SNP_candidate_on_pro_IRA_march/

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Parliamentary Assistant

Ah, a secretary.

selkirkbear
    Free Member

And former Council Candidate.

I used him as an example as it shows there are pro-IRA marches in Scotland as well as IRA supporters at higher levels within the SNP.

Then there is also SNP MSP John Mason who prefers the term “Freedom Fighters” rather than “Irish Murderers”

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

John Mason

An unfortunate surname for one who holds such views….

There are pro republican marches in Scotland, there is an annual one near me in Ayr, but it’s outnumbered massively by the other lot, and as Seosamh77 rightly points out, it’s not really relevant to the independence discussion in general.

Thankfully, sectarianism is in general on the wane in Scotland, with the odd exception of some of society’s less well brought up knuckle draggers, on both sides.

lovewookie

I used him as an example as it shows there are pro-IRA marches in Scotland as well as IRA supporters at higher levels within the SNP.

not encountered any pro IRA marches in my time in Glasgow, I guess they have the idea, but it doens’t get any further then the bar of molly malones.

duckman

grumpysculler – Member

For many of their followers, the opposite seems to be the case. If sectarianism is rearing its ugly head again, its because the SNP and the associated movement have sown the seeds of division and hatred.

Yet it would appear to be your side that carry out assaults and the recent packages sent to SNP offices. But then claiming that the SNP are sowing division by campaigning for indy and they are the root cause of the actions above shows that you have a rather one-eyed view anyway.

rene59
    Free Member

This sectarian stuff is embarrassing, knock it on the head and don’t let the shite stirrers win by resorting to tit for tat.

seosamh77
    Free Member

lovewookie – Member
    not encountered any pro IRA marches in my time in Glasgow,

You’ve not been looking hard enough though, there’s not many, far less than orange marches(about 10% or so) but they do exist, they will argue they are republican however, but quite frankly that’s bullshit.

Anyhow, republican, orange, we are talking about irrelevant fringe elements, and generally people that haven’t a scooby, and enjoy the quasi miltaristic prancing about like bawbags. Best starve them the oxygen of publicity. They’ll go away eventually.

I say this as someone that quite enjoys a good RA fest too! 😆 But come on, ye need to understand what it is, it’s a piss up and a sing song, nothing more. Utterly irrelevant to politics in scotland.

So the OO have managed a few Councillors, fair enough, there’s enough of them that they deserve some representation. We aren’t going back to the days of old. Their time has long passed. And any thoughts of their being able to organise a terrorist resistance to an IS are utterly ridiculous, A few will spit the dummy, but they are sheep at best without an orginal thought in their head.

epicyclo

seosamh77 – Member
    …So the OO have managed a few Councillors, fair enough, there’s enough of them that they deserve some representation…

Good point. All this is about democracy after all.

grumpysculler – Member
    centrist, social democratic
    While that is what they badge themselves, it isn’t a description I recognise. They are more populist than anything else. They do less that is truly centrist and instead pick from both left and right to try and appeal across the spectrum. Left and right wing policies don’t combine to make a centrist party…

That’s good in my opinion. Parties should be representative and not blindly follow some political ideology writ on stone.

As for division, what division? We’re separate countries and we want control of ours. Seems to me a very successful campaign has been run to do this in our southern neighbour…

Viewing 40 posts - 3,681 through 3,720 (of 7,713 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.