• This topic has 7,712 replies, 199 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,841 through 4,880 (of 7,713 total)
  • Scotland Indyref 2
  • big_n_daft
    Free Member

Dunno, probably about the same percentage that voted Tory in the last election.

Really, what about the members of the party, the elected representatives etc

Does Rishi know he’s a xenophobe and openly racist?

So BruceWee at 40+%, what’s TJ’s “fair proportion”?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Our community’s history of antiracist struggle in Britain can show us another way to confront these issues. When Indian migrants first arrived in Britain in the 1950s, 60s and 70s, they joined forces with recently arrived African-Caribbean migrants to form a unified “black” community of resistance. They responded to state neglect, racial violence and racist policing with a range of radical self-help initiatives, run through organisations such as the United Coloured People’s Alliance, the Black Liberation Front and the British Black Panther Movement. This is a story of community and class solidarity based on shared resistance. It should be recovered to prepare us for the fight ahead.

Not sure how this makes Rishi a xenophobe and openly racist

BruceWee

You don’t find it strange that the entirety of the government’s minority representation comes not just from a single ethnic group but a single ethnic group who come via Africa where they saw the local population as being beneath them?

Fair enough.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

At what level are you drawing the line? Plenty of other minority MPs in the government.

seosamh77
    Free Member

bruce you’re having a bit of a nightmare today probably best not to bite on BnDs bait! 😆 And step away.

BruceWee

Plenty of other minority MPs in the government.

What other minorities are represented in the government? Not the backbenches but the actual government?

bruce you’re having a bit of a nightmare today probably best not to bite on BnDs bait! 😆 And step away.

I’ve started drinking. I’m in this for the long haul 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

haha 😆

BruceWee

Just to argue with myself now, Alok Sharma’s family did not come from India via East Africa so it’s only 2 out of 3.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Nadhim Zadawi just on C4 news

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Kemi Badenoch

seosamh77
    Free Member

big_n_daft
    Free Member
    Nadhim Zadawi just on C4 news

Business minister insists ‘all the protocols were followed’ with government PPE contracts 😆 😆 😆

epicyclo

Boris shows his love for Scotland.

This is doing the rounds again.

He’s the gift that never stops giving. 🙂

epicyclo

And then this reappeared

(Not his poem, he published it though)

falkirk-mark

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54973255

Sorting the (wo)men out from the boys

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Business minister insists ‘all the protocols were followed’ with government PPE contracts

Well he would say that wouldn’t he, I imagine the shredders at going at max speed at the moment

Anyway does Nadhim Zadawi know he’s a xenophobe and openly racist?

The betting sites are giving odds of 5/2 the Rishi will be PM by 2021, all very xenophobic and openly racist

BruceWee

Anyway does Nadhim Zadawi know he’s a xenophobe and openly racist?

The betting sites are giving odds of 5/2 the Rishi will be PM by 2021, all very xenophobic and openly racist

Do you also think someone can’t be racist because some of their best friends are black?

There are two reasons that Rishi and Patel are in such high profile positions when, as you said, they have other ethnic minorities they could have chosen.

One is that idiots will say, ‘See, they’re not racist. They have brown people in the cabinet.’

The second is that they come from a background that means there is a good likelihood they will have questionable attitudes towards people’s roles in society.

You can’t make assumptions about people based on their backgrounds. However, once they start behaving in a certain way you can look at their backgrounds by way of explanation.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

There are two reasons that Rishi and Patel are in such high profile positions when, as you said, they have other ethnic minorities they could have chosen.

Obviously other reasons are a lot more likely

They have the support of other MPs and grandees of the party

They have some talent (ok with Patel it’s a bit harder to see that)

They have ideas and drive (ok, some of the ideas you might not like)

You can’t make assumptions about people based on their backgrounds. However, once they start behaving in a certain way you can look at their backgrounds by way of explanation.

You assume anyone who votes conservative is a xenophobic open racist and that the BAME members of the government are either the same or useful idiots

TJ assumes “a fair proportion” of rUK are openly xenophobic and racist

big_n_daft
    Free Member

One is that idiots will say, ‘See, they’re not racist. They have brown people in the cabinet.’

This idiot is saying the conservatives have a BAME MP who is at 5/2 to be PM in 2021, which clearly shows that the issue is far more nuanced than the binary world you inhabit

Or do you still insist he must be a xenophobic open racist or an useful idiot

kimbers

You can’t argue that English nationalism doesn’t have xenophobic factors contributing to it, certainly it was a major marketing tool in the Brexit campaign
    Nationalism will always have traction with racists & xenophobia is a powerful motivator, how politicians use it can be dangerous: hysteria over migrants in the channel has certainly been jumped on by many MPs, Patel included.

The SNP seem much less blatant about it, but you’d be foolish to say it wouldn’t be a factor in any campaign, being anti English is a lot easier when Johnson with his own history of offhand biggotry, towards Scotland & others makes it much easier.

Id like to think the current Tories are now taking the threat of indy seriously, but looking at the more brexity ones, it’s pretty obvious they couldn’t give 2 shits about whether Scotland stays. And these MPs are steering the country right now.

So what happens next if the SNP get a majority at holyrood in May is what matters

I’m not sure I see much opposition from many tories if Sturgeon pushes for another ref

BruceWee

This idiot is saying the conservatives have a BAME MP who is at 5/2 to be PM in 2021, which clearly shows that the issue is far more nuanced than the binary world you inhabit

You’re the one who is saying they can’t be racist because they have brown people in the cabinet which is quite a binary way of looking at things.

I’m the one who is saying it’s more nuanced than that.

scotroutes

I’m not sure I see much opposition from many tories if Sturgeon pushes for another ref

It doesn’t need opposition from many tories, just the one. Boris Johnston.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

You’re the one who is saying they can’t be racist because they have brown people in the cabinet which is quite a binary way of looking at things.

I’m the one who is saying it’s more nuanced than that.

You are misrepresenting, I haven’t opined on it other than to say that defining everyone who votes conservative as openly xenophobic and racist and any BAME members of government as either token useful idiots or just as xenophobic and racist is clearly questionable and doesn’t really stand up to scrutiny

If there are nuances in your sweeping statements then please elaborate

intheborders
    Free Member

The SNP seem much less blatant about it, but you’d be foolish to say it wouldn’t be a factor in any campaign, being anti English is a lot easier when Johnson with his own history of offhand biggotry, towards Scotland & others makes it much easier.

I live in Scotland and have an English accent and have never had any anti-English issues.

Oh, and I’m an SNP member.

epicyclo

kimbers
    The SNP seem much less blatant about it, but you’d be foolish to say it wouldn’t be a factor in any campaign, being anti English is a lot easier…

This tired old trope.

It’s really much simpler than that.

It’s normal for a country to be independent, and not at all normal for one to be ruled by its next door neighbour.

With the train crash of Boris/Brexit/CoVid/Corruption it has become even more apparent to Scots that severing connections with England is something we should be doing ASAP.

Racism isn’t a factor in seeking independence. Scotland’s problem is an ideological and very nasty sectarian one (which does not support independence BTW)

kimbers

Youd be naive to think it wont be a problem, even if its just knee-jerk dislike of Tories (something Im guilty of too)
    nationalism & xenophobia will always be related to a greater or lesser degree and the sectarian thing is a good point- Im probably coloured by my mums family whos politics & rangers-celtic support overlap as you’d expect- my uncle now lives in england and his van has a massive Rangers union jack in the drivers cab, his cousin a celtic fan whos facebook page is just 100% green & white (what used to be friendly rivalry seems a lot less friendly these days)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

what used to be friendly rivalry seems a lot less friendly these days

I don’t think that’s the case, brought up in deepest Ayrshire, it’s always surrounded me, so I have some knowledge.

As ever, social media brings the scum to the surface, so you’ll see them if you’re in the likes of twatter. There’s more of a political nature to the divide now, even more so with indyref and brexit, but most folks I know who happen to follow either side, myself included, aren’t really interested in any of the nonsense, never have been.

I couldn’t give a flying **** about ulster, the IRA, the UVF, battles on rivers, it’s aw pish.

I’m just a football fan, that’s it.

There’s a lot more Yes supporters within the Rangers support than you’d think, they just don’t go shouting about it, that’s all.

Some folk need the tribal thing, it’s weird, but twas ever thus.

kimbers

Apropos of nothing
    I’m English, went to uni in Wales, got more abuse off Welsh nationalists there for being English than I ever did in Scotland on our annual trips to visit family

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No one is really bothered about the anti English thing up here any more, the odd nitwit that puts a daft feather on his head and a skirt on to watch football a few times a year, but thankfully no one really takes any notice of them.

epicyclo

kimbers
    …what used to be friendly rivalry seems a lot less friendly these days…

It wasn’t that friendly when I lived in Glasgow in the late 1960s, or should I say it was an excuse for gangs of thugs to set upon some innocent who happened to be wearing the wrong colours. They still used razors in those days.

I had a few unpleasant encounters when challenged as to which team I supported. It didn’t help that my standard response was that real men don’t ponce about kicking a ball but play shinty. I’m politer now. 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

The “sectarian” thing is just political football up here these days. It really doesn’t pervade society in much of a negative way at all, that really ended in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Which is when it was bad. (2001 is when catholics reached occupational parity(which was a water shed moment imo) as yer man tom devine reckons and I’d agree, from personal anecdotal evidence of relatives). The last particularly nasty element of Scottish culture, ie the scheme gang culture(which was territorial and had nothing to do with the sectarian divide) is largely gone too. It’s a different planet from what I grew up in in the 80’s and 90s in that respect and died away in the 00s there, there was alot of good work done… In general people talk about some issues in scottish society as if they are a big thing, but they are talking nonsense, Scottish society in the 2020s is pretty gentile compared to what it was 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago.

There’s a lot more talk about things these days though…And alot of people mistake banter for actual issues. If people think it’s worse these days, they are living in an imagined reality.

In general it’s a fairly unified society I think. Though I guess you’ll struggle to see that if you are focusing on extremely small fringes.

IMO people focus too much in the negative and fail to see how far it’s come.

piemonster

So how do we think this will pan out now?

I know there’s a school of thought that says it’s now inevitable and will happen quickly.

But they’re is part of me that thinks people may have had enough for a few years and will just want stability. Even if it is actually ****

tjagain

Independence is inevitable in less than five years

Unless sturgeon pushes hard with everything possible towards independence the SNP will split

igm

Don’t know. But I got some Christmas Laphroaig that entitles me to a square foot of Islay peat bog or something. Scots born’n’bred, but a Tyke for 28 years, so owning property in Scotland might be a good idea. Register it as my home address if the time comes. 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

You can have a square foot of my garden for a bottle of whisky 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

SNP wont split, not a chance.

The Uber nationalists may moan about Sturgeons careful approach, but they’d be mad to split, back to being a shortbread sideshow like they were in the last century.

stevextc
    Free Member

Independence is inevitable in less than five years

For Scotland or do you mean Shetland with Doric state joining them?

Futureboy77

Unless sturgeon pushes hard with everything possible towards independence the SNP will split

I’d agree with this. There seems to be an increasingly vocal faction within the pro independent movement, who are becoming frustrated with a perceived lack of action from the SNP. I can only see that growing.

igm

thegreatape

You can have a square foot of my garden for a bottle of whisky 😀

Now that’s a very kind offer, but do you know what you’re letting yourself in for?

My posts on here are fairly moderate, but I’m a loud mouthed, aggressive, opinioned swine in real life. And that’s hoe those that love me (or in the case of my CEO, promote me) view me.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,841 through 4,880 (of 7,713 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.