Viewing 40 posts - 4,721 through 4,760 (of 4,872 total)
  • Scotland Indyref 2
  • Premier Icon scotroutes

See also “Anyone but Liverpool”, “Anyone but Man Utd” etc etc etc.

Premier Icon kimbers

so the latest yougov not looking so hot for tories

thats 60% pro-indy , and holyrood elections 6mths away

constitutional showdown incoming

Premier Icon franksinatra

Its okay though, BoJo has put Gove in charge of keeping the Union together.

I’ve always been pro union but they really are making it hard to maintain this position! I’ve been able to justify my stance (despite current Tory gov) as thinking independence is a long term solution to a short term problem. But Tory gov is now feeling less a less like a short term problem and a new English centric way of life.

Premier Icon tpbiker

constitutional showdown incoming

It’s irrelevant. If Boris won’t back down over such an issue as school meals why do you think for a second he’ll back down over a second Indy vote?

But yeah, if there was a vote tomorrow yes would win. They’d get my vote as well.

Premier Icon gordimhor

If Boris won’t back down over such an issue as school meals why do you think for a second he’ll back down over a second Indy vote?

It’s perhaps not the best of comparisons but you’re right Boris is not a democrat and I don’t think he will agree to a referendum when he might well lose it. It is a problem for the SNP and the wider Yes movement what comes after yet another mandate is rejected, and Holyrood powers are reduced by the internal market bill?

Interesting times ahead.

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

I had always assumed that Sturgeon feels she needs to win an election fought on a “lets have a referendum” basis before she can go rogue and set about holding one anyway, thereby triggering a constitutional crisis.

I don’t think the Internal Markets Bill will affect the constitutional issues surrounding a second referendum?

Premier Icon duckman

Boris is not a democrat and I don’t think he will agree to a referendum when he might well lose it. It is a problem for the SNP and the wider Yes movement what comes after yet another mandate is rejected, and Holyrood powers are reduced by the internal market bill?

I think both sides know this, however I am not sure that things are going to improve enough for Boris to ever feel confident about it. Cameron’s Government seems like the good old days and all that would have taken was a 6% swing.

Premier Icon gordimhor

I don’t think the Internal Markets Bill will affect the constitutional issues surrounding a second referendum?

No not directly but they will leave Holyrood less powerful than it currently is and will allow the UK government to legislate in devolved areas.

Premier Icon scotroutes

The independent court case determining whether or not a Section 30 order is even required hasn’t concluded yet.

And the D’Hondt system will ensure that type of SNP lead is watered down by the time Holyrood seats are apportioned.

Premier Icon thegeneralist
    Free Member

But Tory gov is now feeling less a less like a short term problem and a new English centric way of life.

Corrected to

But Tory gov is now feeling less a less like a short term problem and a London centric way of life.

Don’t you dare suggest that BoJo and his scum are doing any more for northern England than they are for Scotland. 😁

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

I can’t see that happening any time soon and I would like my daughter to grow up with the same opportunities I had.

Well Brexit has already f**ked that big time.

That was my point. I’d rather it wasn’t the case but that ship has sailed. This isn’t the country it was 6 years ago.

Corrected to

But Tory gov is now feeling less a less like a short term problem and a London centric way of life.

Don’t you dare suggest that BoJo and his scum are doing any more for northern England than they are for Scotland.

Really? Because the former have consistently voted against the shitstorm we find ourselves in whilst the latter voted for it. London is by and large not to blame in this but let’s not allow facts to get in the way of some ignorant nonsense. London =/= Westminster

Premier Icon reluctantlondoner

Devolution has been a disaster according to inept PM

De Peffle has put his foot in it (again). Sturgeon must be delighted.

Premier Icon reluctantlondoner

Just reading the comments on the bottom of the Torygraph story of Johnson’s comments and the vitriol is amazing. I know the English/Scottish relationship can get pretty salty at times, but the anger/hatred/resentment at the Scots and SNP is astonishing. Is it real, or is it keyboard warriors?

Premier Icon kimbers

What’s funny is that social media is full of little englanders & unionists agreeing with him and stoking even more pro indy sentiment

Premier Icon BoardinBob

Just reading the comments on the bottom of the Torygraph story of Johnson’s comments and the vitriol is amazing. I know the English/Scottish relationship can get pretty salty at times, but the anger/hatred/resentment at the Scots and SNP is astonishing. Is it real, or is it keyboard warriors?

Posted 7 minutes ago

Not just the English.

Go on any BBC news article that mentions the SNP and has comments enabled. The level of vitriol from a lot of Scots is far worse than anything from south of the border

Premier Icon richmtb

I saw this reported this morning.

If you are pro-indy then Johnson is the gift that keeps on giving.

It’s like he’s pathologically incapable of seeing the issue from anything but his own perspective. His whole “uppity Scots” approach is doing more for the independence cause than anything else.

Premier Icon duckman

His whole “uppity Scots” approach is doing more for the independence cause than anything else.

Ace, isn’t it? I REALLY hope he doesn’t get ditched after January…Oh wait; Gove is next in line? Cancel that sentiment.

Premier Icon Northwind

BoardinBob

Go on any BBC news article that mentions the SNP and has comments enabled. The level of vitriol from a lot of Scots is far worse than anything from south of the border

Though, mostly because we’re a nation of 5.5 million people and it only takes about 30 people to completely fill a BBC news article’s comments with hatred and bodily fluids.

Premier Icon big_n_daft
    Free Member

Ace, isn’t it? I REALLY hope he doesn’t get ditched after January…Oh wait; Gove is next in line? Cancel that sentiment.

Remind me, is Gove a Scot?

His whole “uppity Scots” approach

Is he one of the uppity ones?

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The man is thicker than a whale omelette.

Premier Icon seosamh77

big_n_daft
    Free Member

No. 😆 You can keep him.

Premier Icon big_n_daft
    Free Member

No

Civic nationalism for him then

Premier Icon seosamh77

big_n_daft
    Free Member
    No

Civic nationalism for him then

Nah, exile will do him fine.

Premier Icon Northwind

big_n_daft
    Free Member

He’s no true scotsman 😉

Premier Icon seosamh77

tbh whether or not he’s a scot isn’t really my objection. It’s more his brexit stance. I’m more a european federalist than a scot nationalist. Gove’s clearly against that, so he can do one and he can ram his blue passport. 😆

Premier Icon imnotverygood

I’m not sure why the uproar. From Boris’s point of view, it probably is a disaster. I would have been surprised if he was a fan of devolution. Is this really so shocking?

Premier Icon tjagain

Gove may be of scots descent but he is not one of “the people of scotland” ie those who make the country their home. So he can **** right homeward to think again

Premier Icon seosamh77

imnotverygood
    I’m not sure why the uproar. From Boris’s point of view, it probably is a disaster. I would have been surprised if he was a fan of devolution. Is this really so shocking?

I think it’s more collective amusement that any kinda shock.

Premier Icon big_n_daft
    Free Member

He’s no true scotsman

Even more civic!

Premier Icon seosamh77

big_n_daft

Even more civic!

Last time I looked Surrey wasn’t in Scotland.

Premier Icon big_n_daft
    Free Member

Gove may be of scots descent but he is not one of “the people of scotland” ie those who make the country their home. So he can **** right homeward to think again

Factually incorrect, Scots descent is mum, dad , grandparents. He was born and lived in Scotland at least to he graduated university. He is a Scot.

The rejection of him and the denial of his status by nationlists, is very “civic”

Premier Icon big_n_daft
    Free Member

Last time I looked Surrey wasn’t in Scotland.

Surprisingly the English are very welcoming, it might be why he chose to stay here after 20+ years in Aberdeen. I imagine if he moved back his reception would be very “civic”

Premier Icon seosamh77

big_n_daft thinks he’s got a catch here! 😆

Premier Icon big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’m amused that TJ thinks he is more Scottish than Gove

Probably can add Blair into that as well

Premier Icon tjagain

The rejection of him and the denial of his status by nationlists, is very “civic”

Does he live and pay taxes in scotland? If not he is not one of the “people of scotland”

I have no scots blood in me but as I live here and pay taxes I am one of the “people of scotland”

the key thing is “have you made scotland your home?” He has not

You seem to fail to understand the differnce between ” the scots people” the ethnic group And ” the people of scotland” those who have made the country their home. Major fail. Its not blood and soil” nationalism

I do not have have never claimed to be ethnically scots.

“Its not where i come from as a person – Its where we are going as a nation”

Premier Icon seosamh77

big_n_daft
    Free Member
    I’m amused that TJ thinks he is more Scottish than Gove

Probably can add Blair into that as well

If blair or gove want their opinions to be taken seriously, they can move here and join in the discussion if they like.

Gordon broon, for example, lives here, so is entitled to his opinion, even if I disagree with that.

Premier Icon imnotverygood

Mebbes aye, but Gove is still Scottish

Premier Icon seosamh77

nationalism can bolt anyhow, I’m european, and even pre brexit, I seen no need for holyrood>westminster>brussels.

holyrood>brussel in a federal europe will do nicely thank you very much.

Ye know there’s that old british nationalist argument, I’ve more in common with working class people in edinburgh, liverpool, london, aye agree with that sentiment. I’ve equally as much in common with people in dublin, paris, lyon, dusseldorf, valencia, warsaw, athens…. Insularism is the british nationalists choice, not mine.

Premier Icon kimbers

Tbf, I think Gove is one of the few members of government who even vaguely gives a shit about whether Scotland stays in the union

Even if his brexit has made it inevitable that Scotland will end up leaving

Premier Icon tjagain

Mebbes aye, but Gove is still Scottish

ethnically yes but he has no right to a vote in scotland and his opinions matter to me not one jot as he is not one of the people of scotland – an ethnically diverse mix of the people who have made the country their home.

Where is his home? He is just of one of the scots diaspora

Viewing 40 posts - 4,721 through 4,760 (of 4,872 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.