• This topic has 7,712 replies, 199 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,601 through 4,640 (of 7,713 total)
  • Scotland Indyref 2
  • Greybeard
    Free Member

Ironic given that the majority of Scots didn’t vote for Brexit or this shitshow of a Westminster government and having no say so in the matter distresses them too.

Yes indeed. I didn’t vote for them either. But I (and they) did have a vote.

scotroutes

Of course, if James Dornan self ids as a woman, he’ll still qualify.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

IT’S not that long ago that many folks voting no for independence saw the SNP as a bit loose cannon, instead opting to remain part of the UK, as Westminster was seen as a steady hand on the tiller, experienced, with gravitas and clarity of thinking.

How’s that working out for y’all?.

Northwind

James Dornan forgets to mention that he already announced he’d be standing down back in february, which is what’s triggered the all-woman shortlist, and only announced that he’d changed his mind shortly before the NEC meeting. Puts a pretty different light on it.

scotroutes

Great. Now we need to get the Cherry blocker fixed too.

falkirk-mark

IT’S not that long ago that many folks voting no for independence saw the SNP as a bit loose cannon, instead opting to remain part of the UK, as Westminster was seen as a steady hand on the tiller, experienced, with gravitas and clarity of thinking.

How’s that working out for y’all?

3 close family member who voted against Scottish independence would now give it serious consideration mostly owing to the fact there seems to be absolutely no light at the end of the tunnel regarding the whole rotten Westminster government.

kimbers

At some point (I imagine after Holyrood elections in May) theres gonna be a big constitutional tussle over when/how sturgeon gets to call another ref

Including dont knows-
    Yes – 51% (+1)
    No – 42% (-1)
    Don’t Know – 7% (nc)

scotroutes

Nah. Nicola Sturgeon has basically said that she’ll only hold Indyref2 if she gets a Section 30 order from Westminster. I can’t imagine why the UK Government would grant one, especially if the polling shows a majority in favour of independence. She has also said that constitutional change is off the cards until the effects of Covid-19 have passed. Even with a fair wind, that could easily be another two years before she even considers asking for one.

This is much more interesting..

https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/pas30/

If it can be established that a Section 30 order is not required then a referendum could be held much sooner. Of course, that will upset some of the SNP hierarchy, who have become too comfortable in their positions of power.

kimbers

Can only really see May elections going ahead if covid is under control anyway!

Weve seen with Brexit that once the Nationalist genies is out of the bottle you cant stuff it back in, Sturgeon will have to deal with that if she tries to hit the brakes on indy- Tho I can see why her asking for section 30 after winninga pro-indy majority in May & then Johnson saying no is attractive to her as it only stokes anti-westminster sentiment further

And at this point I dont see Johnson making any efforts to try & keep scotland in the union anyway, he just doesnt seem to care

kimbers

Tories need davidson back

gordimhor

As an indy supporter I’ll be delighted if that never happens, it’s a prediction for a future Westminster election and I hope Scotland won’t be involved in any more of them.
    The predictions for Holyrood would be more informative.

longdog
    Free Member

Shetland are wanting independence again, from Scotland too lol!

Not sure what I’d vote this time around. Voted no to independence and no to brexit. I’d probably vote no again, but there’s a slight wobble with the way things have been with the tories in power and I do think nicola sturgeon has been pretty good through C19. But at heart I think we’re still better together, but without the tories in power

gordimhor

Breakdown from the survation poll used by election map UK shows this prediction for Holyrood
    Including the regional vote from the same poll it works out around:

SNP – 70
    Labour – 21
    Conservative – 20
    Green – 10
    Lib Dem – 8

So pro indy parties win 62% of seats and the SNP win an outright majority.

kimbers

From a selfish point of view, My (brexit voting) mum is scottish

can I get an EU passport if scotland leaves UK & joins EU?

But id still rather Scotland stayed in the UK, what I really dont like is the millitant rangers sectarian unionist stufff my uncle comes out with, its alienated his own kids

richmtb

But at heart I think we’re still better together, but without the tories in power

That’s the crux of it though isn’t. As its currently arranged Scotland is powerless to decide who governs – limited devolution not withstanding.

Ultimately that is what its all about.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ruth Davidson back? Surely not, she chucked it to spend more time with her son.

Then took up a place in the house of lords…

seosamh77
    Free Member

but without the tories in power

😆

I’ve lived 42 years. tories have been in power for 27.5 of them, and counting… That’s a theme that isn’t going to change. You’ll get labour again, but you’ll be back to the tories soon enough. The tories are without a doubt the dominant uk party, by a decent margin. Even if labour get in tory politics still dominate.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Ruth Davidson is kinda back in the SP. She’s the one currently doing FM questions for the tories.

franksinatra

If only every vote for SNP was assumed to be a vote for independence.

I (obviously) wouldn’t vote for Tory
    Labour and LD are a wasted vote. That leaves me only voting SNP. But I am not in favour of independence.

tpbiker
    Free Member

But at heart I think we’re still better together, but without the tories in power

Well yes…and I’d definitely be a ‘no if the Tories weren’t part of the equation. As things stand however I’m 50/50. If Nicola can give us sometjing a bit more concrete than the snp’s approach let time round of ‘have a little faith it’ll all be fine’, then id probably vote yes.

It would pain me to do so, but I can no longer abide being ruled by that incompetent shower of lying xxxktards from westminster.

Northwind

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ruth Davidson back? Surely not, she chucked it to spend more time with her son.

Well, as it turned out it was to spend more time with a lobbying company. But since she had to step down from that role due to the conflict of interest she has more time to spend on parliament.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If only every vote for SNP was assumed to be a vote for independence.

Works both ways, I know a few who would vote yes, but won’t vote SNP.

TheBrick
    Free Member

As its currently arranged Scotland is powerless to decide who governs

This is true, but it is also true of many more people in England! In fact if you’re in Scotland your vote probably has proportionally more weight than mine. There is “better” grouping (and a better alternative in Scotland) but please don’t forget that just because the majority of Conservative seats are in England doesn’t mean that there are not lots of people who would rather there not be a Conservative government but a combination of poor opposition and voting system means there is a massively skewed picture.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

If the UK moved away from FPTP and to a more PR system, I’d be happy staying in the UK.

scotroutes

since she had to step down from that role due to the conflict of interest she has more time to spend on parliament.

And on LBC. So much for spending more time with her family.

Northwind

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

If the UK moved away from FPTP and to a more PR system, I’d be happy staying in the UK.

Me too- FPTP has generated and worsened some absolutely crazy situations over the last few years, culminating in Boris Johnston’s massive majority with 43.6% of the vote, Jeremy Corbyn’s crushing minority with 32%, and the clear majority of votes being cast for left leaning and anti-brexit parties. It’s a huge problem and the more divisive politics gets the worse it is.

scotroutes

Not me. In a PR system, London would have as many seats as Scotland and I don’t believe equal weighting should be given to votes cast in an area where the social and economic requirements are so different.

gordimhor

Well for me government should be of the people, by the people, and outward looking.
    So yes to independence, yes to government at the most local level possible, ( are you listening SNP) and yes to EU or EFTA membership. Yes to PR as well for better representation of the whole electorate.

onehundredthidiot

Government at the most local level brings it to regional level and some regions are not capable of simply following a plan, possibly because their rosette is not the same colour bas ScotGov.

epicyclo

franksinatra
    Labour and LD are a wasted vote. That leaves me only voting SNP. But I am not in favour of independence.

What is it about being ruled by the large neighbouring country, whose parliament regularly over-rides matters that are in Scotland’s interests, that is so appealing to you?

Genuine question.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stockholm syndrome. It’s the only explanation. 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

epicyclo

What is it about being ruled by the large neighbouring country, whose parliament regularly over-rides matters that are in Scotland’s interests, that is so appealing to you?

being british I’d guess, a valid stand point and no hard to figure out. It’s more p to you to convince him of the virtues scottishness, condescending questions are of little help in that.

scotroutes

Jockholm syndrome.

FTFY

epicyclo

seosamh77
    …condescending questions are of little help in that

It wasn’t condescending.

I’ll take it out of its Scotland/England context then.

If you lived in country A with a large neighbour country B which ruled country A.

Country B’s parliament regularly over-rode matters that were in country A’s vital interests, would that appeal to you?

scotroutes

5 or 6 consecutive polls now showing Indy ahead, including one commissioned by the UK Govt. One of the reasons is the FM being considered to be doing a better job than the PM.

And now the BBC decide not to show the FMs daily Covid briefings. Does anyone really believe that’s coincidence and that the BBC is not being used to maintain the power of the UK State?

seosamh77
    Free Member

would that appeal to you?

Would depend if I viewed the Country A or Country A+B as the whole. There’s 2 valid view points that are up for debate. Up to you to win the debate.

Borders are transient, not god given rights. Historical rights aren’t the most important part, what are the benefits going forward are the more interesting and relevant topics.

piemonster

It wasn’t condescending.

I read it as condescending tbh.

poly
    Free Member

I’m sure that that kind of radical rethink of the electoral system could certainly buy them some time whilst people see what pans out – there is of course no certainty that a PR system would “favour” Scotland, although it would go a long way to silencing the “We never voted for them” argument. The other obvious way to make “Westminster relevant again in Scotland” would be to create a proper english parliament (or regional assemblies). I consider this the “inverse West Lothian question” – rather than why should Scottish MPs get a vote on “English issues” its why is the UK parliamentary time being clogged up with English Health and Education issues. And of course those being “big” issues means that the choice of government for the whole of the UK is heavily influenced by English Health and Education priorities.

scotroutes

I (obviously) wouldn’t vote for Tory

I wouldn’t worry. The SNP leadership don’t appear to be in any hurry to push for independence. An ever-growing number of folk in the wider indy movement  (both within and outwith the SNP) are growing tired of them and would rather they’d spent the last two years trying to sort out Indy instead of trying to fight the will of the people of England and their desire for Brexit.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m sure that that kind of radical rethink of the electoral system could certainly buy them some time whilst people see what pans out – there is of course no certainty that a PR system would “favour” Scotland, although it would go a long way to silencing the “We never voted for them” argument. The other obvious way to make “Westminster relevant again in Scotland” would be to create a proper english parliament (or regional assemblies). I consider this the “inverse West Lothian question” – rather than why should Scottish MPs get a vote on “English issues” its why is the UK parliamentary time being clogged up with English Health and Education issues. And of course those being “big” issues means that the choice of government for the whole of the UK is heavily influenced by English Health and Education priorities.

problems with that though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_North_East_England_devolution_referendum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_United_Kingdom_Alternative_Vote_referendum

Neither regional devolution or replacing FPTP are going to happen.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,601 through 4,640 (of 7,713 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.