• This topic has 7,712 replies, 199 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,521 through 4,560 (of 7,713 total)
  • Scotland Indyref 2
  • frankconway

Still can’t see IndyRef2 happening.
    As for Auld Lang Syne being sung by MEPs; yes, was very touching, and probably sincere.
    Compare and contrast with behaviour of Farage and fellow travellers earlier this week; I loved the moment when Mairead McGuinness cut his mic and slapped him down.
    Some people have class, others don’t.
    Widdecombe is one of the undead and, I think, Farage is probably another; wait until he insinuates himself into another populist organisation.

seosamh77
    Free Member

The eu have got heehaw to do with the break up of the UK now, absolutely zero.

Was a very nice touch though.

irc

Did I dream it? I’m sure there was some guy called Salmond or something like that heavily involved with the SNP. Maybe in the 2014 indyref campaign? But no mention of him in their history.

History

epicyclo

EU Commission building in Brussels tonight…

chewkw
    Free Member

😆 adding fuel to fire.

BruceWee

Did I dream it? I’m sure there was some guy called Salmond or something like that heavily involved with the SNP. Maybe in the 2014 indyref campaign? But no mention of him in their history.

I can’t help but think we’re going to be hearing a lot about Salmond from one camp in the Yes/No debate over the next few months. It’s been identified by various polling experts as the single most relevant issue facing all Scottish voters at the moment.

I certainly can’t think of anything else.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I would think there will be some sweaty palms in the SNP leadership when the “who knew?” Questions start getting asked.

He may be innocent, so everyone might be getting over excited about the nation’s favourite expensive trews wearer.

Any sensible opposition would keep quiet on issues arising until the verdict is out.

BruceWee

The who knew what when question could get interesting for the SNP. Especially when there are many people now saying the SNP aren’t actually interested in independence anymore and we need to look at other options.

I am looking forward to the mental gymnastics that unionists are going to use to fill in the gaps between ‘Alex Salmond is a sex offender so… [reasons] …and that’s why Scotland can’t be independent’.

kennyp
    Free Member

😆 adding fuel to fire.

What Nicola is rather conveniently missing out is the fact the message was commissioned and paid for by the Scottish government.

Like that time I paid Felicity Kendal to hang a banner outside her house saying “Come and get me Kenny, you big handsome love machine”. And about as true.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Felicity Kendal? Are you Wayne Rooney in disguise? 🤣

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

A couple of points made here rang very true for me.

The vast majority of my friends/family voted ‘no’ for indyref, ‘remain’ for brexit. A lot of them feel very angry that we have now been dragged out of the EU thanks to the will of the English voters. I suspect that feeling could well lead to a very different result for indyref2.

kimbers

We’re in ‘will of the people’ territory now !

moonsaballoon

In an extremely scientific poll , there were 8 of us out in Glasgow on Saturday . All previously no and remain voters . 1 still a no , 4 now yes and 3 coming round to the idea .

I just wonder if the numbers keep rising how long it can be dismissed by the government  , having said that isn’t there contradictory polling that says most Scots don’t want a 2nd referendum ?

scotroutes

isn’t there contradictory polling that says most Scots don’t want a 2nd referendum ?

And yet the SNP keep getting a mandate for one 😊

squirrelking
    Free Member

And yet the SNP keep getting a mandate for one

Cmon, you’re smarter than that.

epicyclo

somafunk

217 messages sent to 16yr old by Derek Mackay (snp finance secretary)

Dunno bout anyone else but if i was that boys parents i’d want to crush his balls between two bricks at the very least and then place him on the sex offenders register, what the absolute **** was he thinking?,

BoardinBob

place him on the sex offenders register

Not defending him at all, but he’s broken no laws so can’t see why you expect him to be placed on the sex offenders register.

Morally reprehensible actions from MacKay, but legally he’s done nothing wrong?

scotroutes

Yep. Not even sure why it’s on this thread unless it’s just becone a general Scottish Politics thread, in which case the news that Ruth “I’m giving up the leadership to spend more time with my family” Davidson is to be in the HoL concerns me more.

Morally reprehensible behaviour from Mackay though not, as I understand it, illegal. Looks like the Sun have been sitting on the story until today. Its all in the timing.

BruceWee

Yep, again I’m looking forward to seeing the mental gymnastics to link this to independence. “Derek Mackay likes young boys so… [reasons] …and that’s why Scotland can’t be independent!”

Rockape63
    Free Member

…..what the absolute **** was he thinking?

Erm!

fatmountain
    Free Member

Desperately hoping for Scotland to go and so I can claim my Scottish heritage, get a job in Edinburgh and my EU passport too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Working in Edinburgh? Bugger that 😂

scotroutes

If you want to move to Edinburgh then why wait? Move now and you’ll be on the electoral roll come any future IndyRef. You don’t have to claim “Scottish Heritage”, especially not for Edinburgh. IIRC around 16% of its inhabitants were born in England and/or claim to be English.

tjagain

*waves *

fatmountain
    Free Member

Not qualified yet (take another year or two).

But why not Edinburgh? When I was up there to cycle the Capital Trail it really impressed me.

I’m hearing the council actually has the balls to take on the car lobby and try to create a livable city.

You have some world-class biking and nature on the doorstep.

Culturally vibrant city, lovely location, good pubs, venues, the fringe festival etc.

Being in the EU would be the icing on the cake.

I’d love to live there!

BruceWee

Looks like things might be accelerating. I think we can thank the Loyalists for a lot of this movement.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18531565.latest-poll-finds-support-scottish-independence-54/

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

In the early days of this pandemic, there seemed to be a bit of unity across the UK, and I was of the opinion that it was a bit of a setback for indy, but if it meant a quicker escape route out of this by a collaborative approach, it would be worth it.

I think I jumped the gun a bit, it’s been anything but United.

dovebiker

I’m moving back to Scotland this week after 31 years of being away. When I moved to England, I found it more tolerant and open having suffered the travails of a religiously segregated education system and limited job prospects, post-Thatcher industrial landscape. I expect that once the impact of the UK’s catastrophic pandemic and Brexit really take hold, then that 54% is likely to grow.

piemonster

That’s really brightened my day, thank you.

I know it was commissioned by a pro Indy group but anything remotely resembling good news is welcome.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Support in Wales is also growing.
    YouGov survey for ITV Wales and Cardiff University published at the beginning of June showed 25% of people in Wales backed independence, a 4% increase from the previous survey in January.
    Way behind Scotland but momentum is picking up.

scotroutes

I know it was commissioned by a pro Indy group but anything remotely resembling good news is welcome.

According to Scotland Goes Pop it was a full survey too, not a sub-sample. That just means that it is likely to be more accurate.

somafunk

The survey, which asked 1070 Scottish residents over the age of 16 found support for independence was 54% to 46%.

So it only polled 1070 residents?, Im all in for independence but thats a tiny amount polled.

sadmadalan

So now is a great time for the SNP/Scottish Govt to demonstrate leadership of how to manage/rule a small northern European country and feal with the fallout of the pandemic. Demonstrate to those who want to stay as part of the UK what can be done to grow the economy, get education restarted and improve the quality of life for everyone in Scotland. So far not good on the economy and even worse for education, but still plenty of time. Of course Scotland should be measuring itself against all European countries not just England, Wales and NI.

piemonster

So it only polled 1070 residents?, Im all in for independence but thats a tiny amount polled.

Thats about a normal sample size for a poll.

This might be worth a read https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/13/political-poll-results-polling-industry-data

YouGov for example use samples in the 1500-2000 range

https://yougov.co.uk/about/panel-methodology/research-qs/

daviek

When I moved to England, I found it more tolerant and open having suffered the travails of a religiously segregated education system

This may be the first time ive posted in this type of thread but central belt by any chance? you wont find much of this bollox elsewhere so please try not to tar the rest of us with this.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree it’s worse in the central belt, religious segregation is a nationwide load of bollocks

gordimhor

@sadmadalan  Not that much the Scottish government can do as most of the economic powers still lie at Westminster. Not just my view but also that of Prof Anton Muscstelli on Radio Shortbread this morning. That’s not to say that the Scottish Government shouldn’t use the limited powers they do have.

gordimhor

Muscatelli

locum76
    Free Member

Independence with anything less than a 60% majority would be a bit pointless.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,521 through 4,560 (of 7,713 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.