Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Scotland and Midges
  • wors

A mate is on about going camping in Arasaig at the end of August, he has invited Me and the family along. Will we get bit to death?

Ta

craigxxl
    Free Member

You need to take some Avon Skin so Soft with you to keep the midges at bay.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You need some deet based anti midge stuff, nothing else is as effective.

Basil

Just come back from Highlands.
    The locals are all predicting less midges this year due to dry winter.
    They also to a man recommend the Smidge product.

epicyclo

Midges? What midges?

They only bite when you start slacking and stop pedalling…

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Only sure fire way to stay midge free

DougD

skin so soft or smidge and a head net just in case. They may look pretty stupid but if you’re going to be sitting outside for a while, they do the job.

youngrob

The area around Arisiaig is amazing, I’ve had a few holidays up there and the midges can be quite bad around dusk. As already said, Smidge or Avon Skin so soft are the best. Take lots.

swavis

You will die HTH 😉

Smidge if you really have too, I find skin so soft useless

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

The locals are all predicting less midges this year due to dry winter

This has been said for the last 2 years. It’s utter tripe. They’ll be as brutal as ever 😉

convert

What else would we loose from the ecosystem if we allowed some mad scientist to release a genetic mutation that rendered all midge impotent?

Swallows and House Martins maybe – I like swallows and all but could could live in a swallow and midge free world just fine! I guess the swallows might have a different opinion but then again they could have developed opposable thumbs and invented their own killer drugs and knocked us out first.

martinhutch

One of my worst childhood memories is the day we parked up in Glencoe on an overcast August day and my dad insisted we all got out and went for a stroll.

This vid gives a flavour of what to expect if you stop moving on a still day…NSFW language…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JpLTuBgfq8[/video]

piemonster

This has been said for the last 2 years. It’s utter tripe. They’ll be as brutal as ever

This. Crying wolf one too many times.

Yes, you will die. Slowly and horribly, probably jogging around in circles as you do so.

Buy a midge net.

gusamc
    Free Member

take a smoker, coz me and dad made mum sit at tent door on bad days ..

take lots of water and cookers – boiling pans of water in front of tent door does appear to stop them

if nice weather I would camp in the open on top of a hill as wind can keep them down – avoid damp areas/long grass etc

for biking(*edit – walking and existing) take total cover gear – longs/long socks 3/4s, full tops, long gloves and a midge net that fits over helmet – looking like a tw*t is a lot better than being eaten alive on a slow uphill grind

globalti
    Free Member

Yes, you will die.

Camp in the most open, windy place you can find, well away from trees and bushes and near a pub where you can sit out the evenings. Take a repellant with DEET. Take a stack of mosquito coils and burn them around your tent.

….above all be prepared to give up by day 3 and head for a B&B or go home. You won’t be the first; several books have been written about the effect of the midge on Scotland’s economy.

scotroutes

Smidge works.

That’s all you need to know.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

If there were no such things as midges, would the ecosystem collapse?

Why not GM or irradiate them into sterility? The midges, not the scots.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Another local, another +1 for Smidge.

unklehomered
    Free Member

THEY

WILL

EAT

YOUR

SOUL

have fun.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Also I was told by someone who’s missus works for Avon that they have changed the formula as it was being sold as an insect repelent, which it wasn’t licenced for, or some such…

scotroutes

The Skin so Soft thing.

It has never been marketed (by Avon) as a repellant and it isn’t one. If you ladle on enough of the stuff it drowns the little buggers when they land on you. If things are really bad, you’ll be scraping them off your arm. There is/was a US version of Skin so Soft that had a repellant in and was available via Amazon. NOT the stuff sold through Avon UK or in shops throughout the country though.

CheesybeanZ

If there were no such things as midges, would the ecosystem collapse?

Bats eat them by the thousand according to country file.

richmtb

Smidge is good for limiting the number of bites you will get but you need to take other practical measures too.

When on the bike keep moving – this makes the biggest difference – if a friend gets a puncture abandon them to their fate!

Don’t camp next to trees, try and camp in open areas where there is a bit a breeze. Cover up as much as is practical. When they swarm just drop everything and run!

bigjim

Nets are the only real 100% defence, you can get some good midge suits that the forestry workers wear if you need to spend any time standing around, eg fishing, birding.

Smidge is alright for a bit and Skin so soft is alright, though it stinks and is pretty oily, my old man likes it though. Smoking is good too! Standing in the sea like the red deer works too…

T1000
    Free Member

As Scotroutes…..

the Avon product was sold in some places with an additive Picardin (hope i’ve spelt that right…)

I’ve used Picardin in the tropics and it works V well….doesn’t disolve plastics but… needs to be applied more often than Deet…

Bayer make it….

unklehomered
    Free Member

But normal SSS was being sold in outdoor shops like angling shops, for its midey properties (not getting into actual or perceived), they have now removed a component part of it which they believe was responsible for this because of a legal complication with it being sold for a purpose for which it was not intended.

matt_outandabout

This has transformed my days out last year across Scotland. Beats ANYTHING else as a repellant on the market.

matt_outandabout

Oh, and somehow people live round there, work there and generally carry on life there. So yes, you could survive.

andymc06
    Free Member

Skin So Soft worked very well for me the last two years. The one time I forgot to put some on my legs I got eaten alive at Laggan! It contains citronellol which is a derivative of citronella oil and an insect repellant.

scotroutes

Here’s the Skin so Soft with Bug Repellant (IR3535)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avon-Skin-So-Soft-Guard-Plus-Cool-N-Fabulous/dp/B002BGLW76/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1364912446&sr=8-30

I’ve used this in the past as it also has a sunscreen so it’s a reasonable all-in-one.

scotroutes

We should make this a sticky thread as we’ll be seeing the same questions and answers for the next 6 months 🙂

unklehomered
    Free Member

We should make this a sticky thread

BA-BUM Tshhhhhhhh!

igmc

peterfile
    Free Member

These “midges – will I die?” threads are always the source of amusement 🙂

How do people in Scotland every manage to have normal lives with such terrifying monsters on the loose??? One has to ask whether its worth the trouble of crossing the border at all.

piemonster

Oh, and somehow people live round there, work there and generally carry on life there. So yes, you could survive.

Wrong, he will die. That is all.

wwaswas

tagging along with scotroutes.

fasthaggis

Hope this lingering cold weather has killed off loads of them 👿

piemonster

One has to ask whether its worth the trouble of crossing the border at all.

Similar to the question I ask myself about Yorkshire.

duckman

Smidge is made in Dundee from ground up neds, the midge smell it and die of fear….

duner
    Free Member

what is it about scctland that the midges love (serious question)? Surely not that different to the rest of the UK but why is it such a problem?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Scotland and Midges’ is closed to new replies.