Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • Scientific 'Exploration' – worth it, or a waste of time and money?
  • BigJohn

So what is the deepest we have ever explored?

john

2 thoughts:

'But isn't the chain from Wright brothers to space probes largely due to developments in technology and manufacturing processes than 'science''
    -Yes, but where do you think the developments in technology came from? Engineering is basically applying science to real problems. The skills involved are similar but sufficiently different that both are needed.

'Or maybe I don't get it' (not wanting to single anyone out, this one's quite common)
    -To a large extent, you don't get it. Neither do I. Or a lot of people. The current theories on the origins of the universe, particle/quantum physics etc are horrendously complicated and really quite difficult to follow. But quite a lot of people have spent a long time working on them, it's not just one persons best guess. Dark matter etc is a good example – sounds really, really far fetched, but there's quite a lot of work showing that it's a fairly plausible theory. Not 'getting it' is fine*, assuming that it must be wrong because of that is maybe a bit hasty.

*That's not what she said.

leffeboy

Not 'getting it' is fine*, assuming that it must be wrong because of that is maybe a bit hasty.

Must have been badly written on my behalf then. I don't assume it's wrong because of that or anything else. Not only have a lot of people spent a lot of time working on it, there are real practical outputs from the same theories. The engineering/science stuff you referred to. I just find it strange that we (including me) are comfortable with it all because it is more than just a little weird

samuri
    Free Member

Doubting current investment now in scientific endevours is like questioning a man 3 centuries ago who built a wheel (or whenever, I have no idea when wheels were first invented). Yes, it might not seem hugely prosperous now but open your mind and accept the effort needs to be made now to lay groundwork for future enterprises.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think the key problem is the poor communication of the output of scientific experimentation to the masses. This lack of knowledge transfer and dissemination is exactly why people doubt the use of science and exactly what threatens its funding.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

a man 3 centuries ago who built a wheel (or whenever, I have no idea when wheels were first invented)

Yeah, it was about 3 centuries ago. For thousands of years people had struggled with their carts and chariots, until some bright spark invented the wheel. Not sure, but I think it might have been some Scottish bloke.

samuri
    Free Member

well a quick wikipedia visit suggests I was only 2k out, which is nothing on the general evoluntionary scale of things but you go ahead and big your historical knowledge up there, go on.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So who was this Dunpol geezer then ?

R979
    Free Member

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

kimbers

the ussr and america pumped billions into the space race, the commies won it with sputnik

huge waste of money when both countries had plenty of homegrown issues to solve at the time
    but now satellites are part of our daily lives, mobile phones, gps, the www, 24hr news,google earth 😆

it took 40 years from the first satellite to the armada we have up there now

the op is too shortsighted to see the benefits of science – its his children that will see their lives changed by the scientists of today

but in our culture we expect results immediately, the media doesnt help, nor does the grant system, you have to big up your work to get your hands on the dosh

kimbers

From my perspective the last 50 years hasn't seen many advances in 'thought science' that even come close to the advances in tech/engineering

hilldodger thought science and engineering are the same thing
    someone has to come up with an idea to create the tech and the tech is required to explore the idea further
    plenty of amazing leaps thought and tech just look at genetics

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I can probably speak with a little authority about the failed British Mars probe: Beagle 2, as I designed the mission control system for it and was closely involved with it's operation.
    I don't know if you watched wonders of the solar system last night but they were talking about arguably the most profound philosophical question: is the Earth the only living planet and mankind alone in the universe?
    Mars is the easiest worthwhile place to look because it had water, there is meteorite evidence and it's actually quite close.
    Beagle came about because ESA offered the UK an experiment on Mars Express. Colin is a world leader in the analysis of meteorites and knew that if he coul do his experiment on Mars he might prove the once existence of life there. Who would turn up the chance of that?
    The UK is still world class at space technology despite goverment attempts to kill it off so UK industry scraped enough money together to keep the mission alive until the goverment was embarrassed enough to help.
    To put it into perspective: the entire Beagle programme cost around 45 million pounds. Quite a lot less than the dome and about the same as the the Eden project. It's not that much considering what it was trying to do.
    Mars landers have a fifty-fifty chance of surviving. Weight restrictions gave no capacity for extra air bags redundant computers or spare chutes. We were unlucky. If it had done it's experiment or just taken a few photos it would have hailed a great British success. But it was a great British success to actually get a spacecraft to Mars against all odds and we are proud of that.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Morning all!

I got bored last night, and CSI Sunday was on Five USA, so I went and enjoyed that instead.

the op is too shortsighted to see the benefits of science

No I'm not. That's completely untrue. I need to wear glasses to see properly, and thanks to Science, I can! 😀

What I'm criticising, isn't all Science, just the parts of it that don't seem to have any real benefit to Mankind; a fair bit of military technology, for example. Much of the Space Race utilised WW2 technology to develop weapons delivery systems. Most 'Rocket Science' is about developing weapons. Half the satellites in Space are for military observation etc. To suggest that stuff like mobile 'phones wouldn't have been invented if it weren't for the Space Race, is a fallacy. The tech and science were there anyway, it's the application of such that is open to criticism.

Loads of the satellites up there are simply floating junk now anyway. Most don't last more than a few years at best.

I have no problem at all, with Science being used to further Mankind's existence. I do have a problem with it being abused to satisfy national egos, and to develop ever more efficient ways of killing.

As for Beagle2: I can understand the reasons behind such a project, but I must question why it is deemed necessary to spend so much, for no calculable benefit. Truth is, as resources on Earth are becoming ever more precious, we look further afield to obtain the materials necessary to sustain out own greed. As has been mentioned, enormous sums of money are spent chasing rainbows, while actually solvable problems here on Earth are ignored.

It's about weighing up costs and benefits, I suppose. The actual success rate of Scientific Investigation, against what can actually be achieved with the resources we already have.

Nuclear power, whilst offering enormous amounts of energy for relatively small input, has brought the World to the brink of MADness, and the price of failure is incredibly high. The devastation caused to this planet by man's greed for power and energy is far too high a price to pay.

Of course, there has to be a balance between encouraging exploration, and preventing a waste of resources. A very fine line, and not an easy task.

Personally, I feel a lot of resources are wasted on projects that bring little or no benefit; Beagle 2 cost £45million, and was a complete failure. 50/50 success rate? Is it really worth it? That £45 million could have been put to much better use. Medical equipment/research that could save lives, perhaps.

Man spends too much of his time with his head in the clouds, and not enough time trying to keep his feet on the ground.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I do understand your point. Nuclear warheads aren't the most useful thing around, for example.

And has NASA actually found anywhere better than Earth yet?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Beagle 2: I'm not disputing that hard questions must be asked before spending tax money on science. But it was a rare chance to answer a very deep question about our existence. Honestly 45 million is small change compared with what NASA spend on equivalent missions.

Do you think lasers are useful? Without quantum theory, no-one would have thought of the idea.

As for nuclear fission, we all wish the weapons would go away, though arguably their presence has put an end to a series of world wars. But we are going to need the power plants unless you want the lights to go out in the near future.

Lifer
    Free Member

Your problem always goes back to the military applications of science, do you know what the military spends?

Space exploration is definitely worth it, not only for resources but knowledge.

El-bent
    Free Member

I can't decide if you picked up this line of questioning from a Christian or an Accountants internet forum Talkemada.

trailmonkey

I can't decide if you picked up this line of questioning from a Christian or an Accountants internet forum Talkemada.

Neither, it's a question on part of his GSCE course and he's hoping we'll effectively answer his Easter homework assignment for him. 😉

ooOOoo
    Free Member

There's a lot of very deep questions about our existence we could ask, but finding the answer doesn't always provide us with much.

And in space, we could explore the universe for 100,000 years and still find nowhere better than home.

El-bent
    Free Member

Neither, it's a question on part of his GSCE course and he's hoping we'll effectively answer his Easter homework assignment for him.

😆

Lifer
    Free Member

And in space, we could explore the universe for 100,000 years and still find nowhere better than home.

And we could find something that offers us something useful in 10 years.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well, military 'need' has driven a fair chunk of Science; the Space Race/Star Wars was primarily about Cold War posturing with the veneer of 'Scientific Interest', and I think it's fair to say that a lot of Scientific projects simply wouldn't get the funding if it weren't for the possibility of military application.

The USA spends bucketloads of cash on UFO investigation (well they used to). With the argument that it's necessary to seek knowledge of something you may need to defend against. The chance of encountering other lifeforms is as likely as another lifeform obliterating our planet at any time, with some cosmic ray, to provide energy for their planet or whatever. IE, not very likely at all, or not something you could do anything about anyway even if you did know.

I see it like this: you have a finite amount of money. You have children to feed. You can either spend that money down the betting shop, or feed your kids.

Seems to me that Man is more intent on praying his Horse will come in, while his kids go hungry.. 😥

molgrips
    Free Member

Just a thought – the money that gets spent on science etc – where does it go?

Isn't it just Keynsian stimulus with great fringe benefits?

Teach a man to fish etc etc.

And in any case, LHC and whatnot are exploring the fundamentals of our universe. The closer we get to figuring that out, the more likely we are to be able to produce say limitless free energy, or a Star Trek style replicator or whatever. If we don't explore, we'll never know if there's anything worth finding.

Seems to me that the internet seemed pretty useless to most people in 1969.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Hmm, seems that my Search for Intelligent Life (STI) on here has not been quite as fruitful as I'd hoped… 🙁

Some interesting points and observations however. I haven't come here with a completely closed mind, just a highly sceptical one. I remain unconvinced that 'All Science' is something to be 'believed' in without question.

Teach a man to fish etc etc

Yes, I like that. We have the resources, means and motivation to explore, so of course we should. We should however be mindful that such exploration may be fraught with unforeseen problems, and create previously non-existent issues.

'OOh look, Nuclear Power! Loads of cheap energy!'
    'Great!'

BANG!

'Oops, now it seems that we've created a catastrophe of terrible proportions, that will take decades, if not centuries for the Earth to recover from, and blight the lives of millions'.
    'Oh dear. Ah well never mind… ooh, what does this button do?'

But we are going to need the power plants unless you want the lights to go out in the near future.

Or maybe, we could actually reduce the amount of power we use, and find cleaner alternative forms of energy production, thus negating the need for such dangerous sources…

The closer we get to figuring that out, the more likely we are to be able to produce say limitless free energy

Or, alternatively, we could blow ourselves up in the process.

No such thing as a Free Lunch…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

It's the Star Trek future…..a lot of people think it's inevitible.
    When they talk about 'progress' that's where they think we are going.

GrahamS

Or maybe, we could actually reduce the amount of power we use

if you want to do that then spending all the "science money" on aid isn't really a good step.

You'd save millions of people, all of whom would require resources, food, shelter, power etc

that's kinda the flaw in your argument. If we chose to ignore science, stand still and put the funds into creating a utopia where everyone had a decent life and lived to 80 then we would almost immediately run out of resources and collapse into a society where everyone was fighting for basic survival.

Only by continuing to progress and learn new things can we have any hope at all of providing for the human race.

The population of the world 3000 years ago was around the same as the current population of England. If we keep growing at that rate then we need as much technological help as we can get.

porterclough
    Free Member

If we're questioning spending money on science instead of hospitals and so on (not sure how you'd have hospitals without science, we'd be back to leper colonies and leaches, but never mind), why not also question why anyone spends money on arts, music, theatre, films, literature, and culture in general, not to mention mountain bikes, when it's all useless and should be spent on these mythical hospitals?

Talkemada
    Free Member

If we chose to ignore science, stand still and put the funds into creating a utopia where everyone had a decent life and lived to 80 then we would almost immediately run out of resources and collapse into a society where everyone was fighting for basic survival.

Really? Why?

Science, of course, has brought us ways of saving and prolonging life. Nature seems to have quite good ways of controlling populations; predators, environmental change, disease, etc. Science enables us to counteract these forces.

Hmm, seems rampant Scientific Exploration is no longer going quite as unchecked…

Imagine if you took the Cold War period, took all the good stuff that was developed, and threw away the nasty war stuff. You'd be left with an awful lot of great tech, but it's development would have cost a fraction of what the war stuff did. Of course, War is a great motivator to develop and innovate, but isn't necessarily the only motivational force.

All this wonderful Science, but what do we do with it?

toys19
    Free Member

Talkemeda, have you got any experience of the way research is funded in the UK? Do you know the decision process used to decide what gets funded?

GrahamS

Really? Why?

Because if you take everyone out of poverty and give the entire planet happy comfortable lives with excellent health care then the population will explode at an even greater exponential rate than it is already, and very quickly drag us all back under again.

It's just not a sustainable ideal.

Besides do you really think it is just lack of money that creates poverty? Do you honestly think giving billions, trillions whatever to the world's poorest countries would end starvation and poverty?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well, I'd imagine that someone comes up with an idea, presents that idea with all related data/info/hypotheses, to someone in charge of allocating funding, they weigh up that idea against others, and pick the one they feel has the best chance of success/validity/value. And then allocate funding as they see necessary.

Of course, where funding comes from may have a significant bearing on what gets chosen. The Defence Industry is a significant benefactor to scientific study and research, I understand.

Porton Down was established as a Chemical and Biological Weapons research facility. I'd imagine quite a bit of positive science comes out of the place, but I'd wager a bigger part of their budget is for producing weapons, rather than more benign solutions.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Because if you take everyone out of poverty, give the entire planet happy comfortable lives with excellent health care then the population will explode at an even greater exponential rate than it is already, and very quickly drag us all back under again.

Hmm. Interesting. Any stats/evidence to back this claim up?

mogrim

Any stats/evidence to back this claim up?

How about the last 2000 years of history?

GrahamS

Any stats/evidence to back this claim up?

According to the US Census Bureau POPClock, around 131,940,516 people are born every year and only 56,545,138 die.
    So the world population is currently expanding at around 75 million a year – though obviously it is exponential growth, so that rate is increasing all the time.

Now consider what happens if you decrease the number of people dying before they have children, while simultaneously increasing fertility and access to healthcare…

Talkemada
    Free Member

Ok, this is straying from the point a little, but..

In the more developed parts of the World, birthrates are stabilising or even falling, as people tend to have less children. More and more people are choosing not to have children, and Science has given us advances in Contraception, which may be denied many people in poorer countries. So, there could also be a case for Human population levels actually 'levelling off'. Certainly, population levels aren't climbing as rapidly in the more developed nations.

So should be cut back on medicine then? Not treat people? Problem is, who decides who is worth treating or not? enforced contraception/sterilisation? That takes us into a whole very uncomfortable and unpalatable world…

Interesting points though, and perhaps in some way even supportive of my own arguments. Is the relentless pursuit of, and blind faith in Scientific Discovery to be our undoing?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Also in the 'developing world' aren't high birth rates an insurance policy against childhood mortality ?

I'm sure I've read a WHO report that links increase in survival rates to decrease in birth rates – as communities become more able to 'bank' on their children reaching productive adulthood, they have less children and are able to concentrate their resources on them……

GrahamS

birthrates are stabilising or even falling, as people tend to have less children. More and more people are choosing not to have children

ONS say the current birth rate in England and Wales was 1.96 children per woman in 2008, the seventh consecutive annual rise and the highest it has been in 35 years.

population levels aren't climbing as rapidly in the more developed nations.

True, but those less well developed nations have a lot of catching up to do!

If you choose to "stop science" to help them catch up sooner, then how would we hope to feed, cloth and shelter them with our current technologies?

GrahamS

So should be cut back on medicine then? Not treat people? Problem is, who decides who is worth treating or not? enforced contraception/sterilisation? That takes us into a whole very uncomfortable and unpalatable world…

not at all. I'm just pointing out that universal health care and high living standard for everyone, while a very noble aim, does have very dire consequences in reality.

Talkemada
    Free Member

One thing I'm a bit uncomfortable with your comments with though, GrahamS:

It's quite a Western-centric perspective; are wein the West, with the power to potentially change things, right to deny such help to those in the Third World? Should we not look to keep our own house in order first?

As Hilldodger points out, there are reasons why birthrates in certain countries are high, and could it not be argued that these would be lowered with greater access to healthcare and contraception?

[Conspiracy Theorist] Easiest way to control populations is to deny basic healthcare/clean water etc to those who are the least economically and politically powerful, in order to ensure continued access to valuable resources to those with that power? Even go so far as destabilising entire regions, supplying rival groups with weapons, restrict aid etc, to further enable 'population control'? All part of an existing and carefully orchestrated plan? [/Conspiracy Theorist]

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Scientific 'Exploration' – worth it, or a waste of time and money?’ is closed to new replies.