Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)
  • Science Must Fall
  • poah
    Free Member

No it isn’t; it’s a case where you can’t add 1 to 1.

false proof – a rain drop is not a decimal system.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I hope they’re refusing western medicines and relying on the local herbal remedies and witch doctor for all their ills.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have another example that proves simultaneously that
    1 + 1 = 1 and
    5 + 5 = 10
    If I have two fivers i get a tenner so by adding them i have one note but still have 10 pounds.

I cannot be bothered working out what fallacy this is so i have termed it trolling stupidity

slowoldman

This raindrop business sounds like the mathematics of homeopathy.

aracer
    Free Member

That’s not addition, that’s merging; we are no longer doing mathematics. A quick google suggests an average raindrop is 0.05g, hence contains 1.7E21 atoms – if you add two of those together you get 3.4E21 atoms. That is the universal truth you’re actually after.

jonba
    Free Member

1+1 can equal 3 for big value of 1.

poah
    Free Member

That’s not addition, that’s merging; we are no longer doing mathematics. A quick google suggests an average raindrop is 0.05g, hence contains 1.7E21 atoms – if you add two of those together you get 3.4E21 atoms. That is the universal truth you’re actually after

50ul seems a bit small for a rain drop

phil40
    Free Member

It was a very long ago that I did any sort of number theory, but numbers do not need to relate to anything in the real world! If I recall you need to view numbers as sets, so zero is the set which contains no members, one is a set that contains the set zero (think bags within bags!) within this system 1+1=2 is proven, and any link to reality be damned

aracer
    Free Member

2.3mm radius is small for a raindrop?

Though I’m going to slightly correct myself:

That’s not addition, that’s merging; we are no longer doing mathematics.

it is still mathematics – it’s just we’re into set theory.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

false proof – a rain drop is not a decimal system.

Choose any Base you like what we call one and two are the same. But the fact that you require a particular system,demonstrates that it is a model

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It was a very long ago that I did any sort of number theory, but numbers do not need to relate to anything in the real world! If I recall you need to view numbers as sets, so zero is the set which contains no members, one is a set that contains the set zero (think bags within bags!) within this system 1+1=2 is proven, and any link to reality be damned

Exactly so, mathematics is a self contained abstract system. So internally it has truths
    These are not universal truths, however it models some real world things very well, just not all

aracer
    Free Member

It models the addition of one group of H2O atoms to another group of H2O atoms perfectly well.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

That’s not addition, that’s merging; we are no longer doing mathematics

why not? We are taking one thing and adding it to another. Unless of course want you are saying is that mathematics can not be applied in such a situation

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It models the addition of one group of H2O atoms to another group of H2O atoms perfectly well

Yes, it does. It is a great model for that. But still a model

. A quick google suggests an average raindrop is 0.05g, hence contains 1.7E21 atoms – if you add two of those together you get 3.4E21 atoms

Yup. It works for atoms, not raindrops

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

If I have two fivers i get a tenner so by adding them i have one note but still have 10 pounds.

Not sure how adding one fiver to another fiver gets you a tenner. Sounds like you get two fivers

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I cannot be bothered working out what fallacy this is so i have termed it trolling stupidity

That’s fine, but I’ll term your inability to engage with it mathematical stupidity.

aracer
    Free Member

Not in a mathematical sense you’re not – and no, that doesn’t mean you can’t apply maths to what is happening there, I already explained how that works. I also already pointed out that maths can handle the macro situation through the use of set theory:
    one raindrop U one raindrop = one raindrop.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Charlie, you’re telling me that there isn’t some fundemental truth to maths? Despite the above?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Fundamental truth would not be dependent upon axioms and would be universally applicable

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Not in a mathematical sense you’re not – and no, that doesn’t mean you can’t apply maths to what is happening there

But the fact that there is a mathematical sense and an non mathematical sense demonstrates that it is a model. And yes, In mathematics, 1+1 maybe 2, but it does not apply to everything. Yes, adding atoms works but that is remodelling the situation, which is entirely sensible but then you in are refraining the situation so that the mathematical model cam be applied. That does not contradict anything I have said

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

one raindrop U one raindrop = one raindrop

Are you defining the first raindrop as the set of a member of the set?

piemonster

If the reports of who is being lined up for Education in the US government, science could be in quite a bit of trouble.

Markie
    Free Member

If the reports of who is being lined up for Education in the US government, science could be in quite a bit of trouble

I just looked it up… Ben Carson?!!! We’re all in trouble…

Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Science Must Fall’ is closed to new replies.