Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Science: egg box + superglue = smoke
  • Pook

What does that then? Crafting an egg box viking long boat with the boy yesterday, superglue on the egg box led to smoke.

brakes
    Free Member

DANGER! superglue has cyanide in doesn’t it?

mogrim
    CountZero

DANGER! superglue has cyanide in doesn’t it?

It’s a cyanoacrylate adhesive, it breaks down naturally in the body, and is perfectly safe. I use it regularly to stick cuts together.
    It can be a skin irritant, and the vapour can irritate mucous membranes, but it’s regularly used in medical and veterinary practices.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

cromolyolly
    Free Member

and is perfectly safe.

Errr, just don’t heat it, apparently

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0379073811002726

timba
    Free Member

Warming superglue can make fingerprints useable Do not try this at home 🙂 (linky)

stumpyjon

It’s only dangerous if you become sensitized to it.

poah
    Free Member

It’s only dangerous if you become sensitized to it.

or you use it on your anus.

amedias
    Free Member

or you use it on your anus.

voice of experience?

Stoner
    Free Member

voice of experience?

well he isnt talking out of his arse

johndoh
    Free Member

I use it regularly to stick cuts together.

Isn’t that why it was first invented? To glue wounds together in the two World wars?

DezB
    Free Member

I use it regularly to stick cuts together.

I stuck a cut on my hand to a cut on my face once. I wouldn’t do it regularly.

nofx
    Free Member

I’ve had neoprene smoke when gluing it with super glue too. It gets hot. I’m another that sticks minor cuts shut with it. Works a treat 😁

ossify

It’s a cyanoacrylate adhesive, it breaks down naturally in the body, and is perfectly safe. I use it regularly to stick cuts together.

From that link in the post above yours:
    Warning…
    I would just like to say now, the superglue you buy in the shops itself is not suitable for use as a medical adhesive [9]. Commercial superglue is made up primarily of short-chain cyanoacrylates such as methylcyanoacrylate or ethylcyanoacrylate which are not compatibile with human tissue. This is because short-chain cyanoacrylates degrade quite quickly and have toxic degredation products which could make the wound even worse! To guard against this, specially made longer-chain cyanoacrylates need to be used for medical applications.

cookeaa

Isn’t that why it was first invented? To glue wounds together in the two World wars?

I heard it was the Vietnam War. But yep I’ve glued cuts with it before…

RobHilton
    Free Member

I heard that too, so I checked it out.

Tis bobbins.

Medical glue from boots is what I use – because that’s what it’s for

kayak23

Warning…
    I would just like to say now, the superglue you buy in the shops itself is not suitable for use as a medical adhesive [9]. Commercial superglue is made up primarily of short-chain cyanoacrylates such as methylcyanoacrylate or ethylcyanoacrylate which are not compatibile with human tissue. This is because short-chain cyanoacrylates degrade quite quickly and have toxic degredation products which could make the wound even worse! To guard against this, specially made longer-chain cyanoacrylates need to be used for medical applications.

Yeah but they always say shit like that so that people think they need the more expensive ‘medical version’. It’s fine, just like instead of expensive eye wash, I use screen wash. 👍

Stings a little but it’s basically the same.

sarawak
    Free Member

You can glue yourself to the DLR with it.

vongassit
    Free Member

Are you Steve Vai?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Yeah but they always say shit like that so that people think they need the more expensive ‘medical version’. It’s fine, just like instead of expensive eye wash, I use screen wash. 👍

Stings a little but it’s basically the same.

😂😂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Science: egg box + superglue = smoke’ is closed to new replies.