Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Sci-fi book recomeendations
  • sandwicheater

Recently read and loved the following and would love to know any recomendations of a similar nature;
    Michael Cobley – Humanity’s fire
    Asimov – foundation trilogy
    Frank Herbert – Dune
    Joe Haldeman – Peace & war
    Douglas Adam – Hitchhikers guide
    Robert Heinlein – Starship troopers
    Dan Simmons – Endymion Omnibus
    H G Wells – Time machine, War of worlds
    Iain M Banks – Culture series

Loved them all and hungry for more.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Julian May; Intervention then two trilogies, Galactic Milieu & The Saga of Pliocene Exile

Russell96

Anything by Neil Asher & Charles Stross,

sandwicheater

This post will probably cost me a fortune.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I liked a lot of Heinlein’s works – Stranger In A Strange Land, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress in particular

Asimov did the books on which I, Robot was based

Blade Runner was based on Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick. Wasn’t Total Recall based on one of his short stories?

clubber
    Free Member

A big +1 on Neal Asher, particularly the Polity Series

samuri
    Free Member

You’ve continued with the Dune series?

How about cyberpunk stuff?
    Snow Crash
    Neuromancer

Those two will show you where the ideas for The Matrix came from.

Do androids dream of electric sheep

I’m reluctant to suggest given his views but Ender’s game is a very good book.

mogrim

Space opera: Peter F. Hamilton. Great books, though I should say the ending’s are always slightly disappointing. Still worth reading, though don’t start expecting shakespearian literature…

andygreener

How about some Ben Bova – no laughing at the back. Contact by Carl Sagan

sandwicheater

Did not realise Dune went on past the three books, brilliant!

Squeezed in ‘do androids dream of electric sheep’ on a flight to Oz. Pissed the wife off no end as didn’t speak to her once. I had a great time though!

bigh
    Free Member

Try Enders Game before you ruin it by watching the film

mogrim

Another suggestion: Dredd. Well worth catching up on his adventures if you used to read him, the stories have grown up a lot, they’re no longer children’s comics by any stretch of the imagination.

vinnyeh

Altered Carbon

Red Mars

Enders Game etc

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Dragon’s Egg – Robert L Forward

zilog6128

Brave New World, Huxley. One of my favourites but it’s the only book of his I’ve read. Must read more!

Neuromancer

I so badly wanted to like this as it’s a seminal work but despite the great idea/concept I thought it was terribly written which really spoilt it for me.

mogrim

I so badly wanted to like this as it’s a seminal work but despite the great idea/concept I thought it was terribly written which really spoilt it for me.

Really? I thought it was amazing, razor sharp noir writing.

kimbers

Alistair reynolds Revelation Space Series is quite ian m banks esque

Id really reccomend the Dan simmonds Hyperion and Endymion books and his later Ilium/Olympus is excellent

willard

“We can remember it for you wholesale” was the book that Total Recall was based on.

Try Hyperion, it’s a classic in ever sense of the word. Maybe also consider “The Star Fraction” by Ken MacLeod. It’s a damn fine book and part of a good trilogy (the other two are also worth reading.

To be honest, you could do worse than to go to baen.co and just work through the free library. It’s a cruel trick though, you read a couple, then you end up buying the other books of the series from their shop!

Northwind

Some already mentioned:
    Snow Crash
    Cryptonomicon
    The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress (superb, this)
    Red/Green/Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson- fairly hard work but if you can get into the groove of it, nothing better
    Star Fraction by Ken Macleod and Vurt by Jeff Noon- I love these 2, I’ve worn out my copy of Vurt.
    Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner (er, I think)
    Spares by Michael Marshall Smith

aaaand, if you can stand the terrible sex and criminal lack of an editor, the Night’s Dawn series by Peter F Hamilton. Space opera, very silly at times, but his setpieces are superb- it’s like a series of boss fights.

stayhigh

Alistair Reynolds
    Iain M Banks rip 🙁
    Jon Courtney Grimwood
    Williams Gibson

Spin
    Free Member

Contact by Carl Sagan

The film is pretty good with its single plot twist, the book has a superb double plot twist.

Sagan was taken too soon.

rob2
    Free Member

The forever war

Good book.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’m currently reading “Echo City” by Tim Lebbon. fantasy rather than SF but still damn good. Also by him I’ve read “Fallen” and “The Heretic Land”, both very good

+1 for Julian May’s Saga of The Exiles, starting with The Many-Coloured Land

robdob
    Free Member

Deathworld – Harry Harrison

I am a massive HH fan and I love all the Stainless Steel Rat books. Bill The Galactic Hero is a real laugh too, quality work poking fun at so much stuff.

robdob
    Free Member

I never understand why fantasy is lumped in with SF. Could not be more different.

I collect mid century short story SF books, some I have read just blow my mind.

monkeyboyjc

+1 for altered carbon, enders game & the forever war

Also would recommend:

Robopocalypse by daniel h. wilson
    Wool by Hugh howey (part 1 of a trilogy)
    Dark eden – cant remember the author but very good

And classics like:

The difference engine
    Rendezvous with rama by a.c. clarke
    Flowers for algernon

I’m also big Stephen Baxter fan but his books arent for everyone, especially some of the trilogies like phase space which seem to concentrate on the sience rather than caricatures. However books like The Time Ships, which is an imaginative ‘what if’ sequel to hg wells time machine, and his collaborative stuff with ac clarke are pretty good main stream si-fi.

drlex
    Free Member

Two things:
    Tiger, Tiger by Alfred Bester

How many have you read from this Top 100 SF/F list?

Northwind

Ooh, good shout on Altered Carbon. And Flowers For Algernon is just astonishing, some day I might be able to read the ending without crying my eyes out…

robdob – Member

I never understand why fantasy is lumped in with SF. Could not be more different.

Well, it depends. Is Zelazny’s Lord of Light fantasy or SF? (even Amber has a big dash of sf in its world-building) Mary Gentle’s Ash? How about Anne McCaffrey’s Pern series?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Anne McCaffrey. Read most of her Pern books as a teenager. at first it starts as fantasy, but then they discover the ships buried on the southern continent. ships from where I wonder…

I remember the Stainless Steel Rat…

which brings me, in a roundabout way, to Michael Moorcock. Was he really smoking stuff with Hawkwind or what?

from that top 100 I’ve read 17

monkeyboyjc

30 of that top 100….

spacemonkey

Sci-Fi on my Kindle at present:

Exiles
    Mongoliad
    Divergent
    Ender’s Game
    Pandora: End of days
    Hard Duty
    First Contact
    The Last Praetorian
    First Activation
    EDEN
    The Survivor Chronicles
    Dark Space
    The City and The Stars
    Rendezvous with Rama
    Childhood’s End
    Leviathan Wakes
    The Kane Chronicles
    Mindstar Rising
    Great North Rising
    Zoo City
    Moxyland
    The Lost Stars
    Seeds of Earth
    Mainspring
    Necropath
    The Reality Dysfunction

peteimpreza

Ringworld by Larry Niven

The Lensman series by EE Doc Smith

More Heinlein books, anything you can get your hands on!!

threeek
    Free Member

Another vote for Wool by Hugh Howey. Started reading it this evening and suddenly I’m halfway through it.

Good to see things being recommended here that I haven’t heard of (adds to reading list).

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Recently enjoyed a couple of Russian gems:

Metro 2033 and a classic sci-fi short, Roadside Picnic.

Now continuing to work my way through Philip K Dick’s stuff.

z1ppy

As always lots of good books/author above.
    All the Takeshi Kovacs novels by Morgan are great, waiting for the final A Land Fit For Heroes book,….
    I like Alastair Reynald Revelation space series
    I throughly recommend the China Melville series, not pure sci-fi or fantasy, but great story telling

56 off that list

colournoise

Glad I’m not the only person who thinks Deathworld is great. Never really understood why it hasn’t been a film – would make a great B movie type thing.

bencooper
    Free Member

Ken MacLeod is another good one to try.

samuri
    Free Member

100 off that list. I set myself the target to read them all.

It stopped being fun after a while.

CountZero

Not seen that list before, and there’s lots I wouldn’t bother with, but I’ve read 49.
    I would recommend Roger Zelazney’s entire works, if you can find them. I’ve read most of them many times, in particular Roadmarks and Today We Choose Faces. Larry Niven has also written a very large number of novels and short works, many very humorous, and all very much worth reading. All of William Gibson, Charles Stross, and Cory Doctorow’s books are almost essential to anyone who likes intelligent fiction, SF or otherwise; Stross’s ‘Laundry’ books are brilliant, James Bond against Cthulhu! And his other books, Halting State/Rule 34, Iron Sunrise, Saturn’s Children, are superb, very like Zelazney in his style of writing.
    Many others mentioned above are all good reads, like Neil Asher’s Polity series, for example.
    So many books, so little time… 😐

Cletus

The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe
    The Demon Princes by Jack Vance

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Sci-fi book recomeendations’ is closed to new replies.