Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • Sci Fi book people
  • sputnik
    Free Member

Another vote for Banks

thepurist

Aliens? Mote in God’s Eye by Niven/Pournelle has loads of em. Interesting first contact type novel.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

HHGTTG

thepurist

HHGTTG

What, all six books of the trilogy? Nope – original radio series for me.

dobo
    Free Member

as already mentioned ‘altered carbon’ only half way through but its not bad

Inbred456
    Free Member

Is the OP after Sci Fi or Fantasy. Elfs an Orcs or Robots an Aliens. I waded through the Thomas Covenant series, hard going and quite depressing. For fantasy David Eddings or Terry Brooks.

Garry_Lager

samuri – Member
    I think we were saying Snow Crash was his best sci-fi related book. Cryptonomicon is superb, I’d struggle to pick which one I preferred.

His latest (reamde) is pretty average, a generic thriller for large parts. Striking how weak it is when you compare it to something like Snow Crash, one of his earliest books. It’s still NS at the end of the day, so good fun, but defo not one to rush to the top of the reading list.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Larry Niven – “the mote in gods eye” – if you can find a copy –

Another vote for Snow Crash

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I vote for Larry Niven too, his ‘Known Space’ series is consistent and imaginative, and stretches your mind for you. It might help to read them in some sort of order.

samuri
    Free Member

I quite liked reamde. I’ve actually run out of stuff to read now after spending two weeks oln holiday so I’m checking up on this thread to catch some new stuff.

juan
    Free Member

I wish I could help, but I am more a “skinnyboyinthevillagegetsaswordfromastrangerandanotefromhisunknownmumandthengotogetotshredthegnarandcutadragontopieces” type of book.

Cletus

Jack Vance has written some great stuff – The Demon Princes is one of his best.

The Shadow of the Torturer (and subsequent books) by Gene Wolfe is one of my favourites

matthewjb
    Free Member

If you are going to read some Stephenson then I’d suggest The Baroque Cycle. Sci Fi set in the 17th century.

Don’t read Cryptonomicon first as it has a large spoiler for the later trilogy.

ojom
    Free Member

Went with this pile.

Book tokens rule.

deluded
    Free Member

That’s an ace selection – I mentioned Gaunt’s Ghost and Eisenhorn but remissly neglected to highlight Ravenor. Altered Carbon really is a must.

drlex
    Free Member

I would demand a science-fiction library, featuring an ABC of the genre. Asimov, Bester, Clarke.

CountZero

Z1ppy, if you’re going to read Gibson, then start with Burning Chrome. It’s a collection of short stories, one of which Johnny Mnemonic, sets up for Neuromancer, and introduces a crucial character. The other stories are really good as well, certainly well worth reading in their own right. He tends to write trilogies, so it’s Neuromancer, Count Zero, :D, and Mona Lisa Overdrive, followed by Virtual Light, Idoru and All Tomorrow’s Parties, and the most recent, Pattern Recognition, Spook Country and Zero History.
    I’m amazed nobody has mentioned Roger Zelazney! He was a master of prose, a writer who could turn out brilliant phrases and descriptions. He wrote fantasy and SF with equal aplomb, Damnation Alley was one of his better known novels, turned into a truly crappy film. He co-wrote a very good book with Alfred Bester, often considered the father of cyberpunk, so look for The Stars My Destination, also called Tiger!Tiger! and The Demolished Man.
    He also wrote lots of tv and film scripts for stuff that many will recognise. (the Psi Ops character in Babylon 5 was called Alfred Bester…)

Russell96

Very good selection, needs a Neal Asher adding to it and you’ll be addicted to some very good authors.

Tiger!Tiger! forgot about that one, think I’m going to have to dig it out of my collection and pay it a re-visit.

househusband

Would Chris Wooding’s series involving Capt. Frey and The Ketty Jay be considered ‘proper’ sci-fi..?

(Mark; happy to lend if you like the sound of ’em.)

Russell96

+1 for Ketty Jay series. But some excellent black humour then Joe Abercrombie is worth a look The First Law series is excellent.

househusband

Was going to suggest The First Law series, too, but would suppose that’s more fantasy fiction than science fiction..?

frazered
    Free Member

Recommend Peter f Hamilton epic books and series

mogrim

You might want to try the Night’s Dawn series by Peter F Hamilton. But they’re a bit iffy tbh, man needs an editor in the same way as I need a girlfriend

lol, and a perfect description – fun light reading, the ending was a slight let down, same thing happened in the Void trilogy. Worth reading, but don’t expect great literature.

And my favourite Stephenson book is The Diamond Age. Although the Baroque Cycle and Cryptonomicon come close.

Finally got round to reading Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion which were pretty good.

Also recently read “Sliding Void” by Stephen Hunt, entertaining but once again, hardly literature. Good enough I bought the second book in the trilogy, the 3rd has yet to come out.

Now reading Cloud Atlas. So far so good.

Cubed
    Free Member

Julian May – Non born king or any of his later polity series.

Ready player one – ernest cline – great if you love 80’s retro non alien sci fi.

Peter F Hamilton – Void trilogy

z1ppy

CZ, noted the Gibson comment, want to read the Richard Morgan book 1st though…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Dragon’s Egg by Robert L Forward. Drags a bit at first, but the aliens are completely different to anything we can understand and not intent on destroying/eating us
    Asimov’s Robot series – nothing like that awful I, Robot film. No aliens apart from 1 short story IIRC, but all sorts of interesting takes on the famous 3 Laws of Robotics.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

(the Psi Ops character in Babylon 5 was called Alfred Bester…)

Ensign Chekov?

coogan
    Free Member

Not got much in the way of aliens, but Micheal Marshall Smith’s ‘Only Forward’ and ‘Spares’ are two of my most fav sci-fi novels.

Coyote
    Free Member

Probably more steampunk than scifi but China Mieville’s Perdido St Station is an amazing read

I’ve plugged that one a few times on here! Nearly finished it and waiting for Un Lun Don to hit the door mat.

haakon_haakonsson
    Free Member

+1 for the Asimov “Robots” series of novels and short stories, some very thought-inspiring stuff (my favourite would be the short story “That thou art mindful of him”)

A bit left field, but have you considered Ursula Le Guin’s Hainish series of novels? I’m currently working my way through them, and have really enjoyed the whole setup. Start with “The Dispossessed”, which has the added bonus of being set (partly) on an Anarcho-Syndicalist planet (as in Monty Python’s annoying peasant from “Holy Grail”)

CountZero

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member
    (the Psi Ops character in Babylon 5 was called Alfred Bester…)

Ensign Chekov?

*Sigh* 🙄

z1ppy

Really enjoyed the final two Kovac’s triology books, again cheers for the heads up on these. I’m off to locate the 1st two books in his next trilogy.

How’s TBC doing with those book, or is he a slow reader?

ojom
    Free Member

Enjoying the Ravenor one. Book 1 complete.

z1ppy

cool 😀

JulianA
    Free Member

Erm – Julian May was / is a ‘she’…

+1 for Rendezvous With Rama (and the sequels) and Childhood’s End: excellent (as is most of Arthur C Clarke’s writing).

Sorry for the hijack, but do any of these authors have series which have the same characters throughout?

nicko74

Stainless Steel Rat and Deathworld series by Harry Harrison are good fun.

Oh my word, that’s a blast from the past! Haven’t even heard of those since I was in school. Loved them at the time; wonder if they’d still be a good read…

vondally
    Free Member

Stainless steel rat……..brilliant witty charming well worth a read.
    I would recommend. H G Wells….. The time machine or war of the world’s. Still good read.

smett72

10 – Member

Sorry for the hijack, but do any of these authors have series which have the same characters throughout?

There’s a few I know of:
    Neal Asher’s ‘Cormac’ series
    Peter F Hamilton – Greg Mandel, Night’s Dawn and Void Trilogies
    Alastair Reynold’s – Revelation Space series

Of these I’d particularly recommend Peter F Hamilton’s Night’s Dawn and Void trilogies.

Thanks, I like to have some continuation in books.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Sci Fi book people’ is closed to new replies.